Change Mode

Strange short bursts of lag

RainThunder7

So I'm not really sure how to summarize this for the title, but I've been experiencing a specific sort of lag everyday for the past 4-5 days I think - I've lost track since I didn't pay it any mind, but its persistence and apparent consistency lead me to think I should confirm that nothing is wrong. 

Every so often - I don't know how often, several times in a day - my computer will lag for a moment, indicated by my mouse cursor stopping for a half second, or audio jittering for a half second. I timed it out with a stopwatch: There will be 9 moments like this, each 3 seconds apart, making it half a minute. Usually it's just been what I mentioned, cursor stopping and audio jittering briefly, but occasionally it just causes my browser or video/music to freeze up for that entire time.

My immediate course of action was to look at recently installed programs to make sure nothing fishy got installed, but the only recent additions have been updates to Avast Antivirus and Adobe Flash Player. 

Doesn't seem like the Processes tab changes at all during the lag. And I do have it listed in order of memory use. Most of what's at the top is Google Chrome, explorer.exe and my video player VLC (the lag occurs without the video player open) 

Edited by RainThunder7

I meant to mention Windows 7, I forgot to keep that part in when trying to reword my issue to make it make more sense. I've now disabled hardware acceleration on Chrome, I guess I'll report back if I notice the problem persisting. Inconveniently, I'm unable to recall whether i've experienced this problem without the browser open.