Change Mode

Is processor support PAE...? for installing Linux or install Linux for

lse123

I have a very old PC and want install Linux...

SONY DESKTOP 2002-2003

SONY PCV-RZ20C

MS-WINDOWS XP 2002 SP3 (UPGRADE FROM SP2)

P4 3.06Ghz 1GB RAM

P/N: 7669654

S/N: **********

Is processor support PAE...? for installing Linux or install Linux for non-pae?

I bring it to Europe from USA.

Outside label says 110V but when i opened it, inside the power supply labelled 110-240V... So works on 240V...? So far having it on 110V....

This posted and here but yet replied as of now

http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/SONY-PCV-RZ20C-is-processor-support-PAE/m-p/640912#M34726

I will try MX Linux for pae if failing boot from dvd try MX Linux for non-pae... is ok? for 32bit... both pae and non-pae is in same disk

so you mean the label outside has no importance but only what the PSU writes has... and also parts may be from 240V countries[so 110-240V] assembled inside this PC...?

True all

No the ,.. is false

pae has nothing to do with linux or windows per se.

pae is all about any 32bit os being able to use more than 4GB of ram in the system.

so really is nothing to worry or think about when installing an os unless you're installing a 32bit os with a system that has more than 4GB of ram installed which of course yours doesn't seeing how it only has 1GB, so both the pae and non pae versions of any os you install will work just fine, they would both work just fine on a system with more than 4GB of ram too it's just the pae version would be able to see and use all the ram whereas the non pae version wouldn't.

more info on what exactly pae is :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

as to the psu it will work on both 110v and 240v mains supply, depending on the psu it will either automatically detect what the mains voltage is and auto switch to using that or it will have a switch on it that needs to be manually set for the correct mains supply voltage.

if there is a switch on it and it's set to 110v and you connect it to a 240v supply then it will blow up and need repairing or replacing.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Just to add to Terry's response; In linux the PAE restriction is pretty much redundant as even the 32bit install will read more than 4gb if the processor can support it.

It was just an artificial restriction that MS put in place. I didn't even know you could get PAE and Non PAE install media!!

i don't think it was an artificial restriction nigsy, i think it had more to do with the fact x86/32bit cpu's couldn't physically address more ram without a work around which was pae. seeing how 64bit cpu's have been around for decades now it's really nothing we run across any more.

microsoft did put artificial ram limits on their software though just so people thought they were getting more bang for their buck by buying the more expensive versions in my opinion. not sure if they still do with windows 10.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966