Change Mode

Laptop not powering on completely

JustinP526

A friend just gave me an HP Pavilion dv6700 with model number dv6915nr.

The led for charging lights up. Pressing the power button gets it to turn on but only for a second. The fan spins up to full speed during this time. It then goes into a loop where it starts then shuts off every 5 seconds or so.

It's got an AND Turion X2 64 CPU, 3 gigs of PC2-5300 and nvidia graphics. Not sure which gpu it is though.

I tried reseating ram and testing with and without ram, hdd, battery. All tests yield the same result.

Any idea what could be the issue?

The dv6000 and dv9000 models are notorious for the two sided foam tape that acts as a heat-sink to lose contact between the gpu core and the heat-sink exhaust piping.

A temporary work-around and good way to test to see if this is what is occurring for you here is a bit unorthodox, but has worked for many.

With the lappy turned off, take a blow dryer and blow hot air into the exhaust ports for about 3 - 5 minutes, this will help to expand and create a connection between the gpu and the heat-sink pipe.

Turn the lappy on and see if it'll boot now and stay up for you.

:) Y

Looking into it now. I do have a 4GB matched set of pc2-6400 I can put in. Should know what's going on soon.

I see a few solid caps near the CPU. They look fine though. It does appear to be a slight gap with the heatsink and gpu, so that could be the problem I suppose. Might have to get a copper shin in there and some fresh thermal compound.

And now it won't even attempt to power on. But all the LEDS come on and no beep codes or flashing led codes.

Edited by JustinP526

That's the next thing that takes place. The computer powers on, but the video will not come up on the screen.

Try the blow dryer trick and see if the screen now shows.

If it does, then you know what is causing the trouble. ;)

:) Y