Change Mode

Laptop repair woes

JustinP526

Hoping that I'm posting this in the right section.

My girlfriend bought an HP laptop back in May of last year. It stopped powering on a couple months later and had to be sent in for repair (under warranty). They changed the motherboard and it worked fine. Just last month the same problem happened again and we sent it in again (still under warranty). This time they changed the battery as that's what they claimed the problem was. When I went to pick it up after repair (Geek Squad) they couldn't get it to power on. So it was sent back in again. When it was returned again it was working but they said the hard drive was dead and that's why it wouldn't power on.

Well HP repair center put in a new hard drive, but they kept the original one with all her data on it.

The laptop still has some problems, I think the problem is motherboard related. The sound port works only intermittently, the wifi card sometimes drops off connection and sometimes it has trouble with plugging in the power cord and charging.

Any idea if it's really possible that a completely dead hard drive could really cause this problem?

Also is it legal for HP to keep the original hard drive with her data? They said they can do data recover for $2000 but that it's not possible for me to do it. She bought the computer and owns it out right, how is the hard drive their "property"?

Check the Lemon laws in your state. Based upon what you've said... you can probably demand they either return your money or give you a new computer (rather than another repair on that one). In many states they get two tries to "make corrections" while under warranty, but a third issue triggers the lemon law.

As to HP keeping the drive... it sounds like you exchanged it for a new one. You accepted the replacement drive... the original one is now theirs. That's how an exchange works. You give them the drive you don't want (so it's now theirs) and they give you the new drive you do want. You should have removed the data, or at least made a backup before sending it in. There is virtually no chance of her data "getting out" as the data will be erased if they attempt to repair it, or if they don't repair it... the drive will be destroyed - thus destroying all data on it. There is a 50/50 chance that if you agreed to pay the $2000 to recover the data... they would tell you that no data was recoverable - which more than likely means they've already stripped it and they don't know where to find the specific platter.

HP perfectly entitled to keep the drive and charge for data recovery. You have accepted that the hard drive is dead and agreed to the new drive being fitted. HP will now need to get the data professionally recovered, hence the charge and as TomK says they've probably stripped the drive and will just tell you the data is unrecoverable. Unfortunately that's why we always bang on about having at least one secure backup of important data (I back up to cloud and to NAS) so if I loose a drive the data is recoverable.

I would have also been demanding a new laptop or my money back after the first fault wasn't fixed.

No, I never gave any permission for them to do anything with the hard drive. I told them that I believed it to be a motherboard issue. I even have the service slip and it says in writing that they are not to touch the hard drive or any data.

I don't see why HP should get ownership of the drive. The laptop was purchased outright, therefore it should all be property of my girlfriend.

I also don't understand how a bad hard drive can cause a laptop to not power on at all, even though the whole unit was getting power.

The Geek Squad agent even agreed with me on that one!

Oh well, guess it's a total loss then.... no more HP products ever again. I'll buy a new laptop and this one will be the nice Asus ROG one I was eyeing up at Best Buy!! And I won't ever send laptops in for repair any more either, it's easier for me to buy a new hard drive and swap them myself.

What you don't know is what HP was told by Best Buy. Obviously, ymmv but I've always had good luck with HP... but I find the members of the Geek squad to be dumber than a two headed sheep.

I'm betting that nothing that you've been told by Best Buy is factual. The computer should power up without a hard drive in it. It obviously won't boot up, but it should power up. If it wouldn't power up, then it was most likely a PSU problem... most likely one not connected correctly when they changed the mother board. I believe that Nigsy and I both agree that the hard drive belonged to your girlfriend... right up until the point where it was exchanged for a drive that she now owns. Unfortunately, I'm also betting that anything that was wrong with the hard drive was probably caused by the Geek Squad. They probably gave it a static charge while messing with the mother board. Who knows.

Nothing wrong with HP products...a lemons a lemon...could happen to anyone.

The issue here is with the repair centre used and a lack of backup.

HP would have just carried out a repair as instructed by Best Buy.

The moral here is backup, backup and backup important data!

Yeah, I don't know why she didn't backup everything more frequently. The laptop is actually still acting up, it's running horribly slow (even considering that it was a new hard drive with fresh install of Win 10) and the sound port works intermittently.

I'm just going to buy her a new laptop as soon as I'm able to and this one can get recycled.

Thanks for all the input!!

• 2 weeks later...

And it just died again :pullhair::angry2:

It was just powered on and booted up a little while ago. Then it went into sleep or hibernate, plugged in the power cord and pressed the power button to wake it up and now it's doing the same thing again. Power LED is lit just fine, HDD LED blinks a few times and that's all it does. Screen stays black like it's not even turning on.

Definitely time to buy a new laptop and no way it will be an HP.

And it just died again :pullhair::angry2:

It was just powered on and booted up a little while ago. Then it went into sleep or hibernate, plugged in the power cord and pressed the power button to wake it up and now it's doing the same thing again. Power LED is lit just fine, HDD LED blinks a few times and that's all it does. Screen stays black like it's not even turning on.

Definitely time to buy a new laptop and no way it will be an HP.

Hi;

This is a long shot, but I have a HP laptop and windows 10 does silly things to the screen brightness. When it's plugged in charging the screen goes black and I have to turn the brightness up / or down; the 2 seem to be interchanged on windows 10; to see the screen again. This is a fault between W10 and the HP configuration and it's never been fixed.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/my-computer-screen-goes-dark-when-i-plug-in-the-power-cord/td-p/1425453/page/2

I disassembled the whole machine, cleaned it out and re-assembled. That seemed to get it working just fine. Not sure if there was maybe a loose cable to the motherboard or what.

Yes that has also been an issue with the laptop too. Either way, I'm done messing with it. Any other problems and it will just be tossed out and replaced.