Sign in to follow this  
clhardingjr

Win 10 Pro vs PC Matic as firewall

I recently upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate x(64) to Win 10 Pro x(64) - Build 14393.693 (RS1) via the still available Technical Assistance (free upgrade). It seems that Win 10 is sending me pop ups to turn on the Windows firewall even though I'm using PC Matic as my firewall. I have turned off the firewall messages in the security & maintance panel but it keeps popping up. Currently the Windows firewall is set to manual, but the messages keep coming up even when the service is turned off. Is there any way to stop this and have Windows recognize PC Matic as the firewall. Also, is there any difference in how Windows treats PC Matic when d/l'ed from Windows store as opposed from your site.?

I don't use PC Matic myself but I found this was addressed in this thread saying the Windows firewall should be turned on:

https://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/198512-pcmatic-wsuper-shield-replace-mcafee/?view=findpost&p=1746321&hl=firewall

post # 4

Yes, PC Matic with SuperShield will replace Anti-Virus programs such as Avast, AVG, Norton/Symantec and the like. SuperShield provides real time protection while PC Matic itself has a scan, detect, and clean option. Yes, you can/should keep the Windows firewall active.

geewhiz is correct, we recommend that you turn on and use the Windows firewall.

Super Shield is your real-time protection, but it cannot be classified as a firewall, per se.

Can you tell me whether this is on the Lenovo BLACKT61 computer?

There is a difference between the program at the Windows store as opposed to the retail version at the PC Matic web site.

You need the program from http://www.pcmatic.com/download

:) Y

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. This is a self built machine running an Intel 4770K on an ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 board. While it ran on Win7 Ultimate is was my understanding that the Windows Firewall could be disabled with PC Matic Super Shield being fully in charge of both firewall and anti-virus. Are you now telling me that is no longer the case? Do I need to activate Defender also. The main reason I went with Pc Matic in the first place was that Windows Fire Wall gave too many false positives.

Another problem that I have is the UAC, even with notifications off, it is still requesting permission to use utilities that have the potential to modify to system, if I manually start that utility. Under Win 7, I was able to basically turn off UAC by setting it at the lowest setting. Now under Win 10, I must have UAC activated to at least the lowest active level, one mark above my previous setting, in order for the system to work properly. Is there another way to stop those annoying popups? Also will the tests that run from your web site be modified to run without active-x to that these tests will run using Win 10 Edge or will I have to continue use IE11?

Edited by clhardingjr