Change Mode

Time for a new laptop

JustinP526

The one I've been using (2008 Dell XPS M1330) has been acting up a bit the past couple months. It's got only 30% battery capacity remaining now and the AC adapter sometimes won't start up (green status LED doesn't light). My dad wants this one (no clue why, but he can have it)... so I'm looking to get a new one in about 3 weeks. Started a new job and next paycheck is going towards a place to live. The following one will cover a new laptop then.

Trying to keep the price low so then I can save up for a new desktop next (I'll most likely build my own)... so here's what I'm currently looking at. Very likely that I'll either take off Win10 or set it up for dual boot with OpenSUSE/LEAP.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-Licorice-15.6-15-F387WM-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-A8-7410-Processor-4GB-Memory-Touchscreen-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/47836539

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-Matte-Black-X555DA-WB11-15.6-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-A10-8700P-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10/51335027

Suggestions? Recommendations?

i'd get the asus, but if you want touch screen then get the hp.

:b33r:

Yep Asus - Touch screens are fun for about 5 minutes then you get bored and realise they are just a gimmick on a full laptop - and you'll forever be cleaning off the finger prints!

Just an after thought - Does SUSE (or Linux) support touchscreen?

Well, the Asus model is not available in store. So I could order online and then pick up at local store... or I can go with the HP one instead. Other choices I seen in store were mainly Acer. Might take a look at Best Buy and see what they have there.

Though, I did also see an interesting looking tablet at Walmart. Can't remember for the life of me what brand it was, but did notice it said "quad core processor" and "Android 5.0 Lollipop"... think it was between $50 and $100.

Would the tablet be a better bargain? I assume that could be updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, couldn't it? Mobile device (whether laptop or tablet) would just for getting work done on the go. I will eventually build a new desktop (mainly for f@h and some gaming) as soon as I'm able to do so.

Though, I did also see an interesting looking tablet at Walmart. Can't remember for the life of me what brand it was, but did notice it said "quad core processor" and "Android 5.0 Lollipop"... think it was between $50 and $100.

I'd steer clear of it. There's a reason it's so cheap; probably some unbranded Chinese tablet that'll stop charging after a couple of months.

I'll probably end up going to Walmart again on Wednesday or Thursday (when I'm off work). Just for the fun of it I'll take a look again and make note of the brand and actual price. I do know they recently put up signs saying lots of stuff is on clearance and holiday layaway sales are starting.

Either way, think I will go with the Asus laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

So this is the tablet I seen at Wal-Mart. Its an RCA and just says quad-core CPU. Think the price is actually $119.97 but the laptop still seems like a better deal. Been getting overtime lately, so should be able to order the laptop soon.

post-78219-0-87540800-1478366046_thumb.jpg

it's a quad core arm cortex a7 chip, (more exact MT8127 soc) and i wouldn't touch it myself if your looking for a pc work type gadget stick to intel, amd cpu devices. those laptops previously linked to will walk all over this tablet.

that'll be good for simple multimedia and internet play (same things you'd do on a good mobile phone.) and not much else in my opinion.

reviews on the tablet here :- https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/44185464

:b33r: