Change Mode

Why do you prefer Linux?

JustinP526

I now run all my machine on Linux exclusively!

Besides for the obvious that Linux is a much safer OS and it being open source, what other reason(s) for preferring Linux over Windows?

The #1 problem that I'll never miss again from dealing with a Windows machine is the Task Manager not responding!!

post-78219-0-96167100-1470172591_thumb.png

This doesn't answer your question.... but I don't believe I have ever had the "Task Manager not responding" error. Sounds like you've had it alot. It also sounds like something that would annoy me if it happened.

Okay i'll bend and give one really good reason out of the hundreds!

I can install the latest and greatest operating system on a laptop that's well over 10 years old, it'll run faster and cooler in comparison to any other operating system from the beginning till now.

My best time on handbrake for this old hardware is 44 minutes 2 pass encoding :P

Why? Too many reasons. I'm running a Win 10 laptop now because I can't get the old PC to run Linux in WiFi through the dongle. Lappy works but I hate it. And of course I need antivirus now. Printer worked just fine in openSUSE. Windows won't recognize it.

I miss Linux already.

It just works for me. All the software I used with windows I can get at least matching; in most cases better versions of without the £100 outlay - (Gimp vs Adobe / Kdenlive vs Camtasia); the ability to configure any aspect I want; security......the list is endless.

• 2 weeks later...
1) EASE OF USE! Linux is not only simple, intuitive, and well documented. It is very easy to use. I am not saying linux is trouble free, but I have caused most of the problems I have encountered using linux myself. Free, low-maintenance goodness at warp speed on old hardware. I'll admit newer hardware can equal more problems using linux. But just give them time and the fix is in the mix.

I include security and updates and general maintenance...etc... quick and easy.

2)CUSTOM FIT! Don't like your DE? Change it. You want to dedicate your harware to audio, video, astronomy, photography... etc. Go right ahead. There is probably already a distro for your interest, and a community of people willing to help you get to the cutting edge and beyond.

3)CUSTOMER SERVICE!You could use linux for free forever, but that would be sad. I'm not talking about money. You could use linux forever and never give a single thing in return but you would cripple linux and make it worse.

What you could do is send bug reports, donate time, effort, harware, cash?

You could request a better mouse-trap, suggest a better method, or just complain loudly; and chances are someone will take that information and try to create, or improve, or just fix it. Now I don't know what to call that behavior exactly, so I call it customer service.

That's enough for me, I don't need anything else. :)

This doesn't answer your question.... but I don't believe I have ever had the "Task Manager not responding" error. Sounds like you've had it alot. It also sounds like something that would annoy me if it happened.

I personally ran into it once or twice on an old Pentium 4 machine running XP Pro

Had a few friends and customers who had the problem come up so many times they decided to just ditch the whole machine. I'd usually end up with those machines and set them up to run either Ubuntu, Mint or openSUSE and drop them off at the free geek.

Kurt, most trouble I've had so far with any distro of Linux was getting wifi to "work". Usually not so hard, but some wireless chips are tougher than others. My current laptop (Dell XPS M1330) has a broadcom chip for wireless, it needs firmware in order to be used. It was easy to download an offline version and install it via terminal. Might be just as easy for your lappy.

• 1 year later...

I run Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon on this computer, which I have named My Video Editing Beast Desktop Computer.  I run This OS because it safer than any Windows OS can be.  I use KINO to capture the footage from my MiniDV tape Camcorders, then I use Kdenlive to edit Videos.  I edit my own Videos and I edit Videos for anyone who needs Video Editing done.

I would recommend Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon for any person, be it Desktop or Laptop.  We do have 2 other Computers in this House, both being Laptops.  One, which also runs Windows 10 is our entertainment Computer, hooked to our HD TV.  The other Laptop sits on fold up table, and it is just a computer the Better Half uses for email and facebook and other sites.  Both Laptops have Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, the one on the table had Windows 8, it no longer is on that laptop.  The Entertainment Laptop run both OS

4 hours ago, Palladini said:

I run Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon

Hi;

Been thinking of giving this a run out on an old lenovo laptop I have lying around. I run openSuse on my main rig; but I find it a bit heavy on a laptop.

:wp: