Change Mode

Back to Suse 13.2

JustinP526

Got it all sorted with the USB flash drive and now have fresh install back on my desktop.

So far got Packman repo set and it's installing all the updates associated. Any others I should have?

The hardest part is that the stupid wifi keeps dropping off at random because support for Realtek rtl8192cu chip is garbage. I want to be sure I have all the right stuff installed so that I can get the wifi device working like it should. Seems there are so many devices that use this chip and yet Linux does not have a good working driver for it to just work normally "out of the box"...

*EDIT*

I've added libdvdcss repo and Main Repo (NON-OSS)..

There was already openSUSE-13.2-Update-Non-Oss .. openSUSE-13.2-Non-Oss .. openSUSE-13.2-Oss .. and openSUSE-13.2-Update

All are on 99 (Default) priority as well as checked for enabled and autorefresh

Still confused on the directions for installing AMD proprietary driver... do I really need it?

Edited by JustinP526

OK, here's what I got... at boot up there is an error message that comes up saying something about bad firmware for southbridge, something to do with IOMMU if that matters any

linux:/home/justin # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) I/O Memory Management Unit
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8370D]
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 16)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 5

Uptime has been for the past few hours, wasn't sure about what time the error was at so just ran it without the --since part

Scrolled down until I got to the error and this is it

Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[0] not in IVRS table
Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: No southbridge IOAPIC found
Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

My WLAN adapter is a TPLink WN823N, it's currently working without using any kind of fix.. but the activity LED on it stays steadily lit and it's not getting full signal strength like it should. Sometimes it also drops connection altogether and then I have to reboot for it to work again. Besides that, everything else seems to be working fine.

linux:/home/justin # lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120 for Business
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Yeah, I also have an Asus N13 pro but it uses the exact same rtl8192cu chip

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040

and I do have a Linksys one but have to test if it even works period

used to have a Belkin F5D7050 that always worked fine just by plugging it into a linux machine, but it's old wireless G and no longer have it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314011

be nice to get one that is wireless AC now!

Yep, looking for it now so I can test it... if I remember it's an AE-1200... kinda sucks having everything packed away in boxes

*EDIT*

Yep it's an AE-1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ0XN4271

Doesn't look usable unless I can do a really good solder job to fix it :yikes:

post-78219-0-94667300-1468126286_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustinP526

Leap was nothing but trouble for me. First install it booted to an all black screen with only a mouse cursor. Second attempt I got it to show a desktop, but then the whole machine just kept freezing up after about 30 seconds of uptime.

Oh I'm sure I've got something laying about that is broken and can be used to spare a connector from!

And if everything goes alright I should be moving as of August 1, so hopefully at that point I won't need wifi anymore as I'll have my own service to run this machine via ethernet cable.

Laptop has a built in wifi card and it's a piece of cake to get it working in openSUSE! Although, I do actually need a new laptop.. current one is a Dell XPS M1330 from 2008 and the battery only has a 47% capacity to it and the AC adapter has been getting problematic too.

A lot of what Linux is about personal customization, to have it look exact you'd need to find a howto from the designer of that theme.

Back in the day i did these things and used these resources https://www.kde-look.org/browse/ord/latest/

edit: When changing themes or modifications could trash your desktop, if that happens there is a way to reset it, so no need to reinstall your operating system.

Edited by duanester

Uptime has been for the past few hours, wasn't sure about what time the error was at so just ran it without the --since part

Scrolled down until I got to the error and this is it

Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[0] not in IVRS table
Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: No southbridge IOAPIC found
Jul 09 12:03:15 linux kernel: AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

You may try disabling virtualization in your bios which is what AMD-vi is if drivers and bios updates do not work.

Read some stuff about adding lines via text editor to grub.

Really all you could do.

Yeah, think I did something with grub for the boot options to fix it last time. Already checked and I have the latest bios on this board. Couldn't find any options in bios to disable virtualization.

I'm starting to really like and miss Asus and Gigabyte boards. Even my older ASRock board with Phenom X4 is a pretty decent and stable board. I been debating on selling that one off for the extra cash and put together a nice 8 core build.