Change Mode

LEAP 42.1 vs. OpenSUSE 13.2

JustinP526

I don't know, but during install everything showed on the screen just fine. At finish of install it says the usual message about rebooting. When it reboots it goes to an all black screen with just a mouse cursor. I don't know how or if even possible to install drivers if there's no desktop showing.

Either way, I'll just go ahead and put opensuse 13.2 back on since at least it was working just fine. It's far better than this Windows 8.1 crap!! Can't get any work done on this machine while it's running on Win8.1 because it's constantly thrashing the hdd and task manager only shows it's something to do with antimalware services and system.

In opensuse it can be downloading/installing hundreds of updates all while I have vlc playing music and the web browser up with 20+ tabs and it gets done in a matter of 2 minutes or less with no freezing up or slowing down. Windows is just always doing something on hdd and won't leave it alone.

10 is also 8.1, Do not let appearances fool you, But yes, i agree, it also trashes my battery in a few hours, the system heats up too hot!

Opensuse or any linux at that is fast, i mean fast wile the system remains cool.

I will look into a way around it.

Yeah I'm also noticing that my internet (via wifi) is horrible in Windows. And for whatever reason I have no clue, but my machine shows up in the client list of the router as "linux" even though it's currently running only Win8.1

The task manager has showed down speed of up to 12.5 Mbps but even with that much throughput Chrome just sits on a blank page showing as it's trying to load.

No clue what the deal is on cable modem here, but we get Comcast and it should be an 80 meg service. The router is a Linksys E2500 and I believe that is N300. It's sad how slow it is considering there's only a small handful of devices connected. Meanwhile I was just out in DeKalb from April thru May and at NIU was able to get online via open network and got super fast connection that showed as 54 or 144 and that is will hundreds or even thousands of students connecting who knows how many devices. All this internet stuff should really be much simpler instead of as complicated as it is.

Well think I'm going to just start doing fresh install of 13.2 KDE and stick with that. It was the best running setup I've had on here so far and I just really need a working and dependable machine to get work done.

During the install process, you cannot select non-free apps and drivers when selecting software and repos?

edit'On the left panel during software selection, did you review the list in non-free, check out image #11

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:DVD_installation_for_42.1

Edited by duanester

No, think I just left it set for all the defaults. I'll give it a go and see how things work out this time. Going to get on the laptop first so that I can see all this at the same time!

If you still can't get er done, do ctrl+alt+backspace twice, that'll sen you to login, i guess there you could select icewin, there you could add the amd proprietary drivers, the open drivers obviously have an issue with plasma..

Well it's going to be a while until I know for sure if it goes alright or not. Got started on the install and at the partitioning part it said something about yast2 not able to read or write on the disk and to use expert partitioner, but that gave the same error.

Now I'm running DBAN to just wipe the drive and it says about 3.5 hours remaining.

This is beyond frustrating....

Well after 5 hours, it is still blanking the hdd and seems to be stuck at 96% with 13 errors. For a while it dropped down to 600 B/s throughput. I've had ancient ATA66 drives move faster than that.

I really don't know what to do with this anymore... everything is aggravating me to the point that I'm just fed up with it all.

Now nothing will even open up on the laptop which is running Leap 42.1

Back to opensuse 13.2 as far as I see it

OK, guess the flash drive I have opensuse 13.2 is toast or something cause it gets the whole way thru install and then never boots to desktop after the reboot.

Got Leap 42.1 to install (on another hdd since the one may or may not be any good, who knows) and used the options specified above. That seems to have worked as I can now boot to desktop and see everything. The downside however is that there is no icon or any way of seeing any kind of wifi connection. Tried doing it all via yast and it looks like it's all there, shows the device and an auto connection via DHCP but can't get any internet.

Nevermind, back to Windows... I need a working machine right now, not in 10 years from now.

Edited by JustinP526