Change Mode

LEAP 42.1 vs. OpenSUSE 13.2

JustinP526

Any major differences?

I've been running 13.2 KDE 64 bit for a good few months now, have run older versions of OpenSUSE before. Noticed there doesn't seem to be any mention of desktop manager for LEAP though.

I know desktop will need AMD driver for A4-6300 with Radeon HD8370D graphics and laptop will need nVidia driver for GeForce 8400M GS.

Besides for that, anything else I need to know? Any tips for a good install?

OK, I must be doing something wrong here... trying to fresh install openSUSE 13.2 KDE 64 bit on the laptop. At first it will only boot from the HDD no matter which boot device is set first. Ran the following command to zero the drive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Don't know if that was a huge mistake or what's going on. It won't boot from USB flash drive and just gives an error on the boot splash screen.

Missing operating system.

No boot sector on internal hard drive

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

The flash drive was made as bootable to install openSUSE from in the first place and was used for installing it on both my desktop and laptop. Now I try to do fresh reinstall and it won't go.

I really don't know how to do all this stuff, especially when the optical drive won't work either (I'm used to doing it from DVD). Need to get it done soon as I'm getting rid of the laptop before I move in 2 weeks.

Yeah I have all that on the Ultimate Boot CD, but since the optical drive seems to be dead guess that means making up another USB drive. And yes the laptop has a Seagate 500GB drive.

I just know at one point in time I used to put a DVD in, reboot and it would boot from the disc and allow for HDD to be formatted. I don't know how or why it's any different when doing from USB.

And why does every search for how to do this have to be how to do it from Windows? There never seems to be any way of learning how to do this stuff in Linux.

Edited by JustinP526

I'm pretty sure the openSUSE that I have on the USB flash drive should be a live version too. It only goes to black screen with the error I posted above, tried pressing F1 to retry and I can see the LED on my flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer) flash as if it's trying to access it. But then it just cycles the same error.

I'm too depressed to deal with this... nothing ever works right

tap whatever key you need to, to get the boot options (f12?) then select the usb drive and hit enter, if it doesn't boot and offers you the eroor message mentioned then it looks like your flash drive is corrupt so you will now need to use another pc to create a new bootable os on the flash drive before you can then use it to install the os to the hard drive again.

:b33r:

OK, I took the HDD out of laptop and put it into the desktop so that I could run SeaTools from the Ultimate Boot CD. The SeaTools program said no hard drive detected. Loaded up some other program that boots up a graphical GParted Linux OS live and that shows the HDD is there and healthy. No clue on that, but I'm sure it's something to do with the stupid UEFI on this MSI mobo and most likely the same thing that caused me to not be able to install from DVD.

Well, I did try the F12 key for boot options and chose USB storage device. It just gives and error saying no OS installed. Guess the flash drive got corrupt or something... is there some certain way of blanking it so that it can be used again? Tried choosing format somewhere and it said something about not being able to read or write. I do have USB key writer installed for making the bootable drive from iso file.

OK, I tried deleting partitions from the USB stick via yast2 partitioner and the drive still shows as being opensuse 13.2 KDE live. Tried using the image writer thing to install the new OS (leap 42.1) and it says the iso is larger than the USB drive is capable of. The USB drive is 4GB

I need the laptop in working condition now so I can sell it as I need the extra cash for moving.

sounds like the usb drive is failing fast and why even though it is supposed to be 4GB in size it looks like there is less actual usable space on it than the live iso needs.

i'd use fdisk as root to double check what partitions are there then delete them, then without doing anything else to it try writing the iso again maybe it'll work now. if it still doesn't work then unless you have another usb stick or can get your hands on one, your only option as far as i can see is to do the install from the hard drive.

ignore above, leap 42.1 dvd iso (4.7GB) will not fit on a 4GB drive i thought you were talking about a 13.2 live os, so your first option would be to download the network iso and do the install using that. :- https://software.opensuse.org/421/en

ignore below too unless bolded didn't solve your problem for some reason.

so what i would do is put both drives in your pc, make sure the pc's drive is first in bios and boot order then boot to the pc's hard drive (i assume it has suse on it and not windows.) and download leap 42.1 iso, rename it to "leap.iso" (without quotes.) and put it on the root of that drive (click on root folder and copy it there outside any folders, might need to be root to move/copy it there, i can't remember.)

now what your going to do is add the iso file to your boot menu so you can choose to boot it and do an install off the hard drive instead of using a dvd/cd or usb stick/drive to install leap to the laptops drive.

with luck once the drive has an os on it and you put it back in the laptop it will boot and work.

full instructions here :- https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/484223-how-boot-opensuse-dvd-hard-disk-grub2

this is what you need to do,

open the 40-custom file located in /etc/grub.d folder (you'll need to be root to edit it.) and below what's already written in there, add

menuentry "openSUSE Leap 42.1 DVD" {
  set isofile=/leap.iso
  set root=(hd0,1)
  loopback loop $isofile
  linux (loop)/boot/x86_64/loader/linux install=hd:$isofile
  initrd (loop)/boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
}

click save, then close the file.

now open yast, click on system, bootloader and when it's open just click ok, that adds the extra menu entry to grub, so now when you restart your pc there should be an extra option to choose "openSUSE Leap 42.1 DVD" selecting this should start the install exactly as if you were booting the usb stick.

(it it doesn't then it's probably the drive partition root is on isn't the 1st partition on that pc's hard drive, so i'd need to see the partition table to make the changes needed to this part "set root=(hd0,1)" of what you copied into the 40_custom file.)

now all you need to do is do the install making sure to install it to the laptops 500gb drive and not the pc's drive, also make sure the pc's swap partition doesn't get mounted as part of the install partition table on the laptop drive. once it's completed the install just put the drive in the laptop and it should now boot to leap.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

ignore above, leap 42.1 dvd iso (4.7GB) will not fit on a 4GB drive

Yeah, that would explain a lot.. I sure wasn't paying enough attention to things. I've got an 8GB one that I'll try it on there, really don't want to have to download another iso

Not really sure what's going on with the flash drive though, it should be blank but when I plug it in and open with Dolphin it shows the opensuse 13.2 kde live files still on there. But then again it's probably something to do with the suse install having some problem. Every time I delete a file, empty the trash and sometime with some updates that need to remove old to put on new.. there is a KDE crash keeps coming up. It won't let me report bug unless I make an account somewhere and I just don't have the time right now and already having trouble remembering log ins for everything else.

How do I attach photos here without needing to upload to photobucket (or similar) and then linking them over? I closed off those accounts because they keep crashing and loading so slow it's more headache than it's worth. I took a few pics with my phone to show what I seen on the screen from a live run I did to test everything. It's a parted magic graphical live run.. actually looks really good!

JustinP526, on 21 Jun 2016 - 4:12 PM, said:

How do I attach photos here without needing to upload to photobucket (or similar) and then linking them over? I closed off those accounts because they keep crashing and loading so slow it's more headache than it's worth. I took a few pics with my phone to show what I seen on the screen from a live run I did to test everything. It's a parted magic graphical live run.. actually looks really good!

check this thread - posts 46 thru 52

https://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/205658-forum-feedback/page-3

Edited by geewhiz

OK, formatted and all with gparted. Couldn't seem to get rid of the stupid U3 thing that SanDisk used to use on these Cruzer flash drives. But the image key program made a bootable USB stick just fine and it's installing just fine now on the laptop. Might try on the desktop next.

Hmmm... so far I'm not seeing any major differences from 13.2 going to leap 42.1 aside from how it looks. Still got KDE desktop, was just as easy to get the Broadcom bcm4321 wireless working, no problem at all with getting nvidia driver installed either.

Think I'm going to get started in a short bit here putting on my desktop as well :)

The differences are staggering, noticed your statement back there on #17

What you have is a system loaded with intentional downgrades almost like Ubuntu LTS "Long term support'

The purpose is to make it perfectly stable, what makes it even more different and interesting, It's a hybrid system built from SLE source "SuSe Linux Enterprise"

Huge difference

OK, the only problem I've run into so far with leap 42.1 on the laptop is that when ever the machine goes into sleep or hibernate mode and I wake it up everything stops working. What I mean is I can wake up the machine and then try to open web browser or text editor or any program and it never actually loads the program. I will have to reboot the laptop in order to get programs to actually open.

Then I tried installing it on my desktop and got it fully installed, but when booting to desktop I get just a black screen with the mouse cursor and that's it. Guessing there is some disagreement with the Radeon HD 8370D graphics that is used on this A4-6300 APU. Didn't notice, but I think there was also a message during boot up about there being a problem with the southbridge or something like that. Had the same problem with suse 13.2 and it's apparently some firmware bug or something to do with IOMMU. No idea what that is, but research makes it sound like something to do with virtualization. There's no options in bios to disable it and I don't think I even use such so I don't need it.

Maybe I will just stick to openSUSE 13.2 after all.

Most of you know that I don't know squat about linux... but I've been running leap 42.1 in a VM for a few months. I never ran 13.2 to compare, and I know that running in a VM isn't the same as a full install, but I found it quite easy to install and it seems fairly straight forward.

Leap literally leaps a system from version to newer version, Software is hand picked, Drivers do no update "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

If i am not mistaken Leap can utilize snappy or snapper, this can take a system snapshot similar to windows shadow copy, capable of restoring from a backup.

So much more, in a year from now someone will write a book about it.

Tumbleweed receives continuous rolling release of software apps and drivers, frequent Kernel updates, Tumbleweed users will install drivers from source after swapping Kernels.

What kind of computer is this?

http://www.cybertronpc.com/customkititems~kc~gmtrpa434bk~group~play~cat~gamers.htm

It runs on an MSI A58M-E33 mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130762

Didn't have any trouble installing leap 42.1 just booting up after the install leaves a black screen with only mouse cursor showing. Can move the cursor around, but can't see any desktop.

This was not a problem when I had opensuse 13.2 installed.