Just sold my 970

Hey ladies and gents, just as a heads up I very recently as in this morning sold my 970 as I am planning a video card upgrade. Didn't plan on selling it this soon but wanted to get the max price I could out of it with the release of the 1080 and 1070 coming soon. In the short term this means my rig will be down until I find a suitable replacement for the card but will be back and better than ever once replaced. Am hoping to possibly pick up a 980TI IF the price is right as I can immediately start folding on it though I'm hoping that Stanford can soon be ready to support the 1080 and 1070 though I have concerns on that front.

Think I will wait and see how they fold before getting my feet wet on the pascal cards. Did some reading on them they will not support three way SLI the max is two way and the SLI Bridge is very large your old one won't work.

If ya look at my ppd you can see I haven't come up with anything yet.....lol......I'm working hard though to come up with a 980Ti in the 400-450 range....hope to be back up by mid week....it's rough being down my only folding rig.....using my 8 year old laptop and she ain't up for folding these days.... :)

Edit: I'll probably have one by the end of the night....I'm on to a few good leads right now....been working on it since I got home from work last evening....man, I love folding......not too easy finding these cards in this price range yet but they do exist.....some real nice prices on the Zotac AMP Extreme but too much of an energy hog for my taste especially running these cards the way we do.

Edited by T.E.K.

Wish I would have stopped in here sooner T.E.K. I could have used that 970 card. Only nvidia cards I have folding on my linux boxes are 2 650ti cards. They don't put out too much PPD. Wish they would have better AMD folding drivers. I would switch over to those cards. They fold good on windows but not on linux.

It was one of those deals where I just got talking with someone and things come up and the next thing ya know I sold my only card.....the one I had seemed really good except it was the Asus OC version which is white in color.....stood out like a sore thumb in my case and if I'm honest with myself I think that played a role in me cutting it loose. Normally I don;t care about that kind of thing but for some reason it bothered me....

can't even remember the colour of my graphics card been that long since i saw it. :rofl3:

personally though if i had $400-$500 to spend on a card now i'd wait before deciding on getting the gtx980ti, can't find it now but think i saw some folding benchmarks where the 1070 was either equal to or better than the 980 with a much lower power draw and it will come out in that price range in just a very short time.

i'd hate to be kicking myself all year just because i couldn't wait the 3 weeks for it to be released with official reviews just to check it against the gtx980ti performance before making my purchase.

:b33r:

here's the 1080 fahbench 1.2 (think it's the green line that most closely represents a cards folding power.) to give you some idea of what the 1070 should do.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/05/Synthetics.006-980x720.png

full review :- http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-review/

Edited by terry1966

think you'll have to pre-book if you want one of those cards, amazon sold out their evga 1080 stock of cards in 6 minutes. :laughing:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/160399/20160523/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-preorders-sell-out-in-minutes-on-amazon-best-buy-and-newegg.htm

going to be a question of if the manufacturers can meet the demand to start with by the looks of it.

I'm just wondering what's going to be available at the retail price points.....aren't reference models historically the least expensive? I know some say that no these aren't reference models they are "Founders Edition" models but I'm thinking the pickings gonna be kinda slim from the partners at retail price points cause who gonna put money into R&D and sell if it at retail if it cools and OC's better than the reference...I mean Founders Edition....real curious to see how this all shakes down.

can't even remember the colour of my graphics card been that long since i saw it. :rofl3:

personally though if i had $400-$500 to spend on a card now i'd wait before deciding on getting the gtx980ti, can't find it now but think i saw some folding benchmarks where the 1070 was either equal to or better than the 980 with a much lower power draw and it will come out in that price range in just a very short time.

i'd hate to be kicking myself all year just because i couldn't wait the 3 weeks for it to be released with official reviews just to check it against the gtx980ti performance before making my purchase.

here's the 1080 fahbench 1.2 (think it's the green line that most closely represents a cards folding power.) to give you some idea of what the 1070 should do.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/05/Synthetics.006-980x720.png

full review :- http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-review/

I gotta get me something to fold with soon is all I know.....was doing real good not building multi rigs for folding cause I told myself I wasn't gonna do it again but I gotta be folding on something......should have picked me up a inexpensive backup I reckon.

Looooool at the color being the push to sell. :D:P

LOL, ya gotta understand my case is black and orange with fancy orange LED fans and a nice sized window.....long story how I ended up with a white video card and I ain't sharing that....lol. I like the looks of the MSI Golden Edition as it matches my setup perfectly but not pulling the trigger yet if ever on it. Again, don't know why I've become particular cause it use to be just about throwing parts together....must come with old age maybe.... :)

Edited by T.E.K.

• 2 weeks later...

I found one of these and couldn't turn it down for the price I paid.....was gonna go "big" but spent less than I sold my 970 for and got a bit better card in the process....should have it by Saturday and be gpu folding again.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=2A951CF6-ED22-467B-9B00-57B0926F87EE

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:geezer: