Laptop Battery Notification

JustinP526

Laptop is a Dell XPS M1330 from about 2008. I don't doubt that the battery does need to be replaced. I'm actually planning to just buy a new laptop soon as I can save up a little bit.

I'm running openSUSE 13.2 KDE 64 bit

Just curious though... I keep getting a notification pop up that says the battery is damaged and it was saying it has only a 44% capacity remaining. Now telling me it's got a 41% capacity. It will charge to the point where it says 100% charged however and will last a good couple of hours before the whole thing just shuts off.

Is the notification incorrect? Might consider a replacement battery just to donate the laptop to a friend or family member or someone in desperate need once I get a new one. Seen some batteries for this model in the price range of $4 - $50. It does work just fine as long as plugged into the AC adapter.

seems to work just fine on battery too from what you've said.

personally i'd not bother buying another battery especially from $4, you can bet that's in the same state as your one.

just ignore the popup, and use it as is until you get a new laptop.

Think the one I seen for $4 was listed as refurbished. Yeah, guess I'll just leave it as is and get new laptop as soon as I can spare the money... hopefully a few weeks from now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, think this battery is done. It charges up rather quickly (from dead to full in about 20 minutes), but then dies after about 20 - 30 minutes of use.

I was looking at this one for a replacement

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-Licorice-15.6-15-F387WM-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-A8-7410-Processor-4GB-Memory-Touchscreen-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/47836539

Though there was another one I liked better with B&O audio for $70 more.

My girlfriend just bought this one after returning one she had from Rent-a-Center. Great deal since the one is owned for about the cost of 3 months worth on the RAC one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Flyer-Red-15.6-15-f272wm-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-N3540-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46429958