Change Mode

R9 390 or GTX 970.... That is the question...

So, its been awhile since I have posted on here and its not for a lack of caring but for a lack of time.

I currently have a very nice i5-2500k OC'ed @ 4.8k build and i have zero interest in upgrading ATM but what I have in CPU power I lack in GPU power, with a Radeon 4870,I think I have a second one laying around somewhere but even crossfiring these cards due to driver issues I actually lose performance. Im seriously behind the times and its definitely the bottleneck of my system.

Having a 4k TV in my living room and a nice 1080P on my wall in my bedroom its time to bring my system out of the computer room, I am sticking everything into a corsair carbide 520 so i can move it around the house and start gaming off my Tvs in the comfort of my bedroom or living room.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the GTX970 when after just minutes of additional research I ran into #RAMGATE and countless posts and videos saying the R9 390 is the way to go surelly, the last time I went radeon i regretted it, it was a decision I had to live with for more than a couple years.

Dont get me wrong the 4870 did its job but at the benchmark it depressed me and It just never sat well with me, either way this time im not interested in buying a product that wont scale well with time, The R9 stacks up very nicelly with 8 gigs of ram vs GTX970's 3.5..

So what are your opinions and hats your input on these two cards.

Hmmm, the cards are comparatively priced and I have neither one, but I'd say the R9 390 would be the better option unless you're just an Nvidia fanboi...

Personally if I had the $$ I'd go with a new R9 390x, a friend here at the forums has just gotten one and he claims it's a "BEAST".

:geezer:

Historically i have purchased only higher end AMD cards, I have had a few nvidia cards, like 3 or 4 but i never dropped 600+ on anything but an ati card, I have always been enthralled by the better specs of AMD cards, however they have most certainly always fell short because of driver issues, AMD just doesnt like to step up there game, plus it seems like NVIDIA has side deals with game companies and they gear they games with there closed sourced optimizations. I just live in fear that Ill have a 512bit Bus with double the RAm as the nvidia card but Ill never be able to use it because of either :filtered: AMD engineering or company bias to favor Nvidia cards.

I have a ram overclocking question, I have 16G of http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-20-226-2721600 9-9-9-24 timing, my motherboard https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z68vprogen3 it supports

• DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066

Im thinking in my situation throwing an overclock on my ram will benefit me due to the new GFX card and my CPu possibly bottlenecking (maybe)

How do i go about safely overclocking the RAM and Can i tighten up the RAM timings?

Edited by Pc extremist

im just finishing a 6700k gaming build myself and i am looking at the 390x as well,the 390 being its lil brother you cant go wrong with it.its a coin toss to most people but i like AMD cards

The only thing that really bothers me about AMD right now, is

1. There market share is like 12% (This means there not making sane business choices, back in 2000 they were equal to Nvidia)

2. Nvidia own 82% OF THE ENTIRE GRAPHICS CARD MARKET.

3. Possible issues with AMD actually optimizing drivers

4. Can AMD afford to goto game developers and buy into direct optimizations for games like nvidia

5. Nvidias market cap is like (19.3 Billion)

6. Amds market cap is (2.04billion?)

Does market cap tell the entire story? Well yes and no, This has a direct effect on business practices and poor decisions, this also contributes to the question, Does AMD have the kind of money NVidia does to make sure drivers get kinks worked out and there cards become cross platform optimized?

that is my biggest fear, This happened to me back when i bought my last set of AMD cards, I waited and waited for crossfire support to get better and you know what.. 7 years later it never did. So I essentially had 2 300 dollar cards that were never fully optimized.

Just to clarify i love the underdog stories, I purposely went AMD last time to spite all my gaming buddies, I silently cried though.

I am NOT a fanboi I simply looking at this from a logical perspective weighing pros and cons.

Its just a scary thought.

Edited by Pc extremist

The only thing that really bothers me about AMD right now, is

1. There market share is like 12% (This means there not making sane business choices, back in 2000 they were equal to Nvidia)

2. Nvidia own 82% OF THE ENTIRE GRAPHICS CARD MARKET.

3. Possible issues with AMD actually optimizing drivers

4. Can AMD afford to goto game developers and buy into direct optimizations for games like nvidia

5. Nvidias market cap is like (19.3 Billion)

6. Amds market cap is (2.04billion?)

Does market cap tell the entire story? Well yes and no, This has a direct effect on business practices and poor decisions, this also contributes to the question, Does AMD have the kind of money NVidia does to make sure drivers get kinks worked out and there cards become cross platform optimized?

that is my biggest fear, This happened to me back when i bought my last set of AMD cards, I waited and waited for crossfire support to get better and you know what.. 7 years later it never did. So I essentially had 2 300 dollar cards that were never fully optimized.

Just to clarify i love the underdog stories, I purposely went AMD last time to spite all my gaming buddies, I silently cried though.

I am NOT a fanboi I simply looking at this from a logical perspective weighing pros and cons.

Its just a scary thought.

The link to your motherboard doesn't work for me... ;)

I had an AMD 280x until it cashed in that ran my [email protected] program like a beast and the drivers seemed fine. AMD has made some improvements in their driver line

Since you're so afraid of AMD drivers not working the way you think they should then go with the GTX 970...I think you'll be happy with either card. ;)

I have a 970 running, the Gigabyte oc version (whatever that is anymore, can't remember). Decent overclock on it too and plays anything I throw at it in 1200p. That's about the limit of the card though. 1440 or stepping up to 4k and neither of the cards will handle well alone.

Went nvidia at the time due to drivers and the price & availability of amd. Also didn't hurt I caught a $40 off sale.

The link to your motherboard doesn't work for me... ;)

I had an AMD 280x until it cashed in that ran my [email protected] program like a beast and the drivers seemed fine. AMD has made some improvements in their driver line

Since you're so afraid of AMD drivers not working the way you think they should then go with the GTX 970...I think you'll be happy with either card. ;)

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z68vprogen3