Easy fix or do fresh install?

JustinP526

I'm getting nearly double the performance out of my laptop (Dell XPS M1330 from 2008) compared to my desktop (CybertronPC A46 Assault from 2015 [they refer to it as a gaming machine, but I beg to differ]) and have no clue really as to why.

First things first, I do NOT have the proprietary AMD/ATI graphics driver installed for the desktop. Going to try doing that now and see if it goes ok and even helps.

There was a small list of 3 errors I had noticed on boot up and when it shuts down during reboot and turning off. The 3 errors all point to something about IOMMU (would AMD driver take care of that?). After much looking into it and some help from openSUSE forum, there was a slight fix which involved altering the grub settings. I don't really recall all the details but I'm now thinking about it and when I first installed (from live USB flash drive), I just chose the automatic settings. Think it set some partitions as ext4 and one or 2 as GPT. Thought I seen something about that being a cause for poor performance, is that right?

I was thinking about just simply doing a fresh installation mainly on account of wanting to boot from SSD and then use the HDD for storage. That should be a great performance benefit right?

In that case, any specific steps I should take to doing that install? This will be first time I'm ever using an SSD and don't want to screw it up royal.

EDIT

Here's the errors I had, which no longer show now.

[firmware bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[0] not in IVRS table
[firmware bug]: AMD-Vi: No southbridge IOAPIC found
AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

And this was the fix that I used (as suggested on openSUSE forum)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254677

Also forgot that at one point I had another problem where after rebooting the normal MSI splash screen never showed, but I had a blank black screen with an error about a bad overclock. I've never overclocked the machine before, not even sure it's possible due to this APU is NOT able to be unlocked. I forget everything in BIOS/UEFI but I'm pretty sure all the clock settings are on 'Auto' and stuck that way (greyed out).

Edited by JustinP526

everything is an easy fix usually, IF you know what's wrong and what fixes it. :laughing:

I was thinking about just simply doing a fresh installation mainly on account of wanting to boot from SSD and then use the HDD for storage. That should be a great performance benefit right?

what size ssd are you planning on using?

personally i'd do a clean install of leap42 and made sure i put the swap partition on the beginning of the hard drive and not on the ssd.

:b33r:

I did have someone tell me that the machine could be so slow on all on account of the HDD failing. Don't know what utility I'm supposed to use for testing Toshiba drives but the ones I was able to run all said there's nothing wrong with the drive at all and that it's in good health.

This is the 500GB drive that came in the machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Not very well rated, but my other available HDD is smaller capacity.. even though higher rated and better quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148155

The SSD is (this one is from TxRedneck, been meaning to get it in use and wanting start folding again)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

Use of all those drives at once would fill up all the SATA ports on mobo, there's 4 total and 1 is used for DVD-R/W drive. Think I'm short 1 SATA cable from being able to use all of them anyway.

Power should not be an issue at all, I took out the stock 350 watt PSU and put in PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 860 watt that Guns had sent me a while back.

What's really driving me nuts the most is the wifi being so slow, it's like dial up speed on desktop. Yet the laptop gets full high speed at the same distance from router.

From memory mines something like this

sda - (Samsung 120gb ssd) partioned as:

- /swap 4gb

- /boot 250mb (something to do with UEFI?? not sure)

- / 100gb as BTRFS with snapper turned off

sdb /home 980gb ext4

sdc /usr 980gb ext4

@Terry - what difference does putting swap on the HD and not on the ssd make?

just lessens writes to the ssd is all, if you have it on the ssd then i'd recommend making sure swappiness is set to 0 or 1, think 1 is usual.

more info in links. :-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/swap-partition/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness

justin on your wifi performance first things i'd try is to turn off ipv6 and see what happens, also try only using g band and not n band.

I don't recall the exact options in BIOS, but I believe it can be set as UEFI or legacy. Or maybe just an option to turn legacy features on/off.

This is the mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130762

Does it matter what type the partitions are set as? Would it really be better to go with Leap42? I've read that it's a real hassle to get graphics drivers to install right on certain hardware.

When I set up openSUSE on the laptop I followed this video tutorial:

Slight different steps than I seen, but maybe on account they did via Virtualbox. The only trouble I had on that is there is an 8GiB partition for swap but yet the KSysGuard shows no swap available.

*EDIT*

disabled IPv6 on the router and can't say it really improved anything. took a few minutes for signal to even allow any throughput... still seeing websites trying to load but the wifi icon at the bottom shows it keep dropping to 0B/s

Edited by JustinP526

i wouldn't disable ipv6 in the router, any changes like that should be made only in your os so they don't effect any other devices.

Would it really be better to go with Leap42?

your system seems to be working fine, so there really is no need to clean install anything but if i was to do a clean install then i'd definitely install leap42.

Does it matter what type the partitions are set as?

depends on other things, like if you need gpt or not but as for file system options then no it makes no difference and you can use xfs, ext4 etc. etc. and things will work just fine.

it's only the swap partition that must be formatted with it's single dedicated swap file system type.

run

fdisk -l

so we can see what partitions you have and we'll see if we can fix your no swap problem.

OK, I meant to do a fresh install to desktop so that I can set it up to boot from SSD and the rest on HDD. I don't know what the difference is between file systems.. just thought I heard before not to mix ext4 and GPT as it will cause a performance issue. Maybe I'm wrong though. For desktop setup I had just chose the automatic setting and it did a mix of things, it also set only 2GB of swap.

So far the most trouble I really have besides for the sometimes slow internet, is when there's kernel update. That messes things up with the wireless driver which is a DKMS module.. easy to fix, but kind of a pain to do every kernel update.

I'll boot up the laptop so I can run that command and post the results.

sorry for the delay, been so busy lately

here's that readout for the laptop

linux:/home/juuso # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000536d2

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1            2048   1187839   1185792   579M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2  *      1187840 976773119 975585280 465.2G  f W95 Ext'd (LBA
/dev/sda5         1189888 479717375 478527488 228.2G 83 Linux
/dev/sda6       479719424 959963135 480243712   229G 83 Linux
/dev/sda7       959965184 976752639  16787456     8G 82 Linux swap / S

no idea why you have partitioned the drive as you have but i certainly wouldn't have done it like that.

no idea why it looks like you have a boot partition and yet don't use it,

no idea why you created a logical partition to add the last 3 partitions to, or why they are sized like they are.

no idea why it looks like you have unused space between sda5 and sda6 and between sda6 and sda7. (that might be a logical partitioning thing tho. been that long since i've used them can't remember.)

you do have the 8GB swap partition though, so i'd expect it to be mounted and used.

open yast, system, partitioner,

click on hard disks on the left so it just shows hard drive partitions and now in window on right find swap under fs type and then under mount point it should also say swap.

eg.

/dev/sda7   linux swap    swap    swap

if it does then the swap partition is mounted and used, if it doesn't then edit it and format and mount it swap.

another way to check if your swap partition is on and used is to use the free command in a terminal.

more info on that and other commands you can use to check swap here :- http://www.tecmint.com/commands-to-monitor-swap-space-usage-in-linux/

Edited by terry1966

no idea why you have partitioned the drive as you have but i certainly wouldn't have done it like that.

no idea why it looks like you have a boot partition and yet don't use it,

no idea why you created a logical partition to add the last 3 partitions to, or why they are sized like they are.

no idea why it looks like you have unused space between sda5 and sda6 and between sda6 and sda7. (that might be a logical partitioning thing tho. been that long since i've used them can't remember.)

I'm wondering if it installed that way because of the steps in that video I followed. In the video they installed via Virtualbox. So that was my fault, I should have known better!

Guess I'll just see about downloading Leap42 and try that then... just hope it won't be any trouble with video drivers. Desktop uses Radeon HD8730D (integrated on A4-6300 APU) and laptop uses geforce 8600gs m.

Something needs to be fixed on desktop anyway, every time I delete a file or empty the trash I get a pop up window that says Knotify has crashed. Don't even know when that started or what caused it. It's really just annoying and I don't have an account at where ever to submit a bug report... can't keep up with all the accounts I already have for so many other things.

*EDIT*

The Knotify says:

(this one most current, but all say same thing just with different time stamp)

Executable: knotify4 PID: 1627 Signal: Segmentation fault (11) Time: 04/12/16 12:38:39 AM

Edited by JustinP526

Will that work on my desktop, which, uses AMD APU with Radeon graphics?

The DKMS module is for my desktop wifi adapter.. it's a TPLink shows like this

justin@linux:~> lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120 for Business
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The laptop is using nvidia graphics and does not have a need for any DKMS modules. It's got a Broadcom wifi card and that was an easy fix by downloading the firmware/driver to desktop, and using USB stick transferred it over. Then just a couple quick commands to unzip and run the installation and it works great.

Well if I should do fresh install of Leap 42, I'll have to download and make a bootable USB. At least the laptop won't boot from CD or DVD since the optical drive won't read. Guess I'll have to read over some directions on a good way to set up partitions properly. Especially for the desktop if it will boot from SSD and then also use HDD. The laptop can only have 1 drive installed, so it just the 500GB Seagate drive that I have installed.

nigel was a bit confused i think, that would not work for you anyway because it is your wifi drivers that need recompiling every time the kernel updates and not your graphics drivers. (i'm the one who may be confused. :rofl3: think bumblebee is used to manage any dkms drivers, not just nvidia, never used it though so not 100% sure.)

once you have done a clean install and gotten your wifi to work, easiest way to stop the need for recompiling the drivers after an update is to go into yast and block the kernel from updating.

don't forget though if you do that then you will also stop any security updates for the kernel.

personally i have to recompile my hd tv cards drivers after every kernel update, but in all honesty even though it is a pain it is not hard.
the driver is already downloaded and unzipped to it's own folder so after a kernel update i just need to navigate to that folder in dolphin, press F4 to open a terminal, su to root and then enter 5 commands.

make distclean

just to clean things up ready to compile again.

./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh

just tells it to make 64bit drivers.

make

compiles the 64bit drivers with the new kernel.

make install

installs the new drivers.

modprobe -v tbs62x0fe

loads the new drivers so i can then use the hardware, a reboot does the exact same thing and sometimes works better than just modprobing it.

the process is more or less exactly the same to make any drivers with one or two exceptions like the ./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh and modprobe -v tbs62x0fe commands, and only takes a few minutes depending on how long a machine takes to compile and install the drivers.

amd graphics drivers i don't bother installing drivers for and rely on the kernel drivers, nvidia graphics drivers i just add the nvidia repo and use the drivers in that.

should add i've never used dkms but if your drivers are in "dkms modules" then before they will auto install after a kernel update i would think you'd first need to install the dkms support for suse in yast if it's in one of your repo's or from here if it's not. :- https://software.opensuse.org/package/dkms

now after every kernel update i think they should install automatically so you don't need to manually

make && make install

them.

like i said though never used dkms so don't know on what setup steps you may need to make first before things will work automatically after a kernel update.

Edited by terry1966

nigel was a bit confused i think, that would not work for you anyway because it is your wifi drivers that need recompiling every time the kernel updates and not your graphics drivers. (i'm the one who may be confused. :rofl3: think bumblebee is used to manage any dkms drivers, not just nvidia, never used it though so not 100% sure.)

I installed DKMS so the Oracle VM still worked after kernel updates - Think the page I linked to just happened to be about graphics drivers; isn't DKMS just an end to a means as opposed to being specifically for one type of driver; it's just a generic tool to rebuild drivers after a kernel upgrade.

You are right about the confused bit though :P

you'll know more about it than me nigel, but yes from my understanding dkms just stops you needing to manually install any drivers again after a kernel update and does it automatically for you somehow.

never having used it, i've no idea what steps you need to take to set things up so they will work automatically though.

was going to look into it more ages ago but as usual never got around to it. :rofl3:

Can't remember specifically, but thought last time I was running Ubuntu and had a wifi device running a DKMS module it just auto installed along with each kernel update.

Now in openSUSE when the kernel updates wireless disappears and I have to run 2 commands then reboot for the wireless to re-enable.

sudo dkms install 8192cu/1.8

then

sudo depmod -a

It's really just more of an annoyance than anything. Really wish I knew more on how to make a driver from source code and it would actually work right. I'd have to look it up and find out details, but thought I had seen a version 1.9 of the same driver for this device. Not sure if that would be better or what and would it even work right.

Thought I tried compiling my own from source once and it ended up with tons of errors and never really did anything.

latest rtl8192cu driver can be got from here :- http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=277&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

now not having the wifi hardware i can't test it, but when you click on the global download link just choose save file option and not the open with option and click ok.

this will download it to your downloads folder, then right click on it and mouse over extract, then click on the extract archive here, autodetect subfolder option.

now you have a folder with everything needed to make and install the driver, from my understanding just running the install.sh (probably needs root) should install the latest driver.

so enter the new folder then click F4 to open a terminal then su to root then

./install.sh

and it should make and install the driver.

or another option is to manually make and install the driver.

to do it this way you need to enter the driver folder and extract the driver same steps as before, enter the extracted folder and F4 to open a terminal then as root run these 3 commands.

make clean
make
make install

now you have made and installed the drivers from source and just need to reboot for them to work.

if it errors or fails at any step then it probably means you don't have the necessary tools installed to compile a driver, eg. gcc for example.

anyway hope that helps you get and install the latest driver.

F4 again to close the terminal otherwise every time you open dolphin it will have the terminal window open, which annoys me for some reason. :mrgreen:

Can't remember specifically, but thought last time I was running Ubuntu and had a wifi device running a DKMS module it just auto installed along with each kernel update.

try installing bumblebee like nigel suggested and maybe that will take care of automatically installing the dkms driver when the kernel updates.

https://software.opensuse.org/package/dkms

Edited by terry1966