blew my psu

Went out and got a 390x..started folding with it and my system crashed twice. Thought hmm that's weird.

Reseated the card and tried again...30 seconds later I hear a huge pop and the inside of my case lit up!

Pretty sure it was the psu. Gotta order another one so I'll be down a bit. Praying it did not take anything with it. We all knew this could be very bad.

Just think I was wanting to run both my cards on this thing!

It was 850 watt. Guess it was just too old =/

That's enough to let the wind out of your sails. Bummer indeed. EVGA has some good prices for their PSUs. http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=10

I got a Corsair AX-850 refurb from NewEgg a little while ago for only $79.99 and it came in flawless condition. Not a single scratch to be found anywhere.

BTW, if you use their Power Meter at EVGA to find out your power requirements I think you'll get a discount code worth as much as 30% to 50% off.

Edited by Zuhl3156

My personal choice would be the 1000 watt PSU. IMO, more is better especially when you consider that a PSU is most efficient at 50% load. Having additional power available puts less of a strain on your PSU also. The 1300 watt EVGA PSU is one of the most popular choices due to price to performance cost ratio. According to the EVGA Power Meter calculator a 850 watt unit would be plenty for mine. With a PSU being most efficient at 50% load I have probably hit the sweetspot using a 1200 watt PSU. There is a whole section at EVGA forums dedicated specifically to their power supplies. Some of the members over there would be able to give you the 'skinny' on which PSU would be the best for your needs.

http://forums.evga.com/Forums

Edited by Zuhl3156

Yes it should do the job I like a nice buffer in the power department in order to not overwork the power supply and modular is the way to go for cable management.

Very good choice Mr. Brownhornet.

Well I am back and thanking god nothing else got taken out. Since I am impatient and need to game I hit bestbuy and got a corsair 850watt. I guess that means I can only run my r9 and my cpu. I couldn't kick out the extra money for the 1000watt.

I need to look into running both cards and maybe shutting down the CPU folding. IF you all think its a bad idea let me know.

I don't know your full system specs but you should be fine running both boards full power. 850 watts is enough for mine. You can see my full PC and the specs by clicking the link at the bottom of my Signature. My video boards have a modded BIOS and pull way more power than a factory board.

Edited by Zuhl3156

I am up and running. Fan speeds and temps were really high earlier had to crank up case fan speeds. Its hard getting the heat out of the pc. Even after I cranked the speed up the card still hit 96% fan speed so it was close the throttle.

It was either that WU or the card had to break in a bit. Keeping an eye on it see what happens.

Oh and ty for the help. The PSU seems to be running pretty well and not getting too hot.

Edited by hydrotaoist

I have been getting some WU that are pushing my Power Limit to 108% making my Folding board reach 55°C which is unheard of for me especially with my watercooling setup. If I Folded on both boards I would probably be reaching well into the 60s which is way to hot for a watercooled video board IMO. Normal WU average around 75-80% Power Limit for me with a max temp of 42°C on both boards.

• 1 month later...