PC Converted to MAC. :-)

I've been working the past month on a project that I didn't even know existed before a month ago!!! I just converted my second PC, (Intel system), into a MAC!!!!! :)

This is the hardware I've been working with:

Intel Core 2 Extreme, Quad Core QX9650 @ 3 GHz
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P MOBO Rev. 1.6 with Award v6.00PG BIOS Ver FD
8 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM - (2 GB x 4 sticks)

610 Watt PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX-750 TI SC with 2 GB GDDR5
One WD Black 1 TB Hard Drive - Win 7 Pro x64
One WD Black 1 TB Hard Drive - OS X El Capitan, 10.11.3

The MOBO and CPU were given to me by Guns a long while back. I'd been using it to go between SETI@Home and Folding@Home on Win 7.

Through a site I found on the Web, (Tonymacx86.com), I was able to first get the system bootable with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a new WD 1 TB Drive. From there, I tweaked, prodded, and poked my way to Upgrade Snow Leopard to El Capitan 10.11.3. :)

MAC OS X El Capitan sees the above hardware as:

About this MAC:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

The latest MAC OS X Update just came out a couple days ago; 10.11.4. I've Downloaded the Update and will be creating an emergency USB Installer, (to Install 10.11.4 clean), in case something goes wrong with updating directly from 10.11.3.

While on 10.11.3, I also installed the Alternate NVIDIA, (Web), Driver and CUDA Driver for 10.11.3. That got my GTX-750 TI SC seen by the OS, and I've been crunching SETI for a couple of weeks on MAC OS X.

Once I Update to 10.11.4, I will install Folding@Home to the MAC OS and see if it, too, can work with the GTX-750 TI SC in MAC OS. If this works, I will endeavor to save my coins for a second GTX-750 TI SC, (new or used), to plug into the second PCI-e slot on the MOBO. Then I will set F@H to run on the second card and SETI to run on the first card. Then, I will be able to run both projects at the same time!!! :)

I'm REALLY liking MAC OS X, I think it's more stable than Windows. Though, I still plan to Upgrade my Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 before the Free Upgrade Deadline in July. Currently Dual Boot works via Clover Boot Loader and Manager installed to the EFI Partition of the MAC OS X Drive. This Drive is physically at SATA0, and I moved the Windows Drive to SATA1. Through Clover, I can choose to boot to either MAC or Windows at the touch of a keystroke, or mouse click.

My final Upgrade to this system is to hunt down some 4 GB x 4 sticks of DDR2, 800 MHz RAM to go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB RAM. This will max out the MOBO for memory; give both Win and MAC more ceiling room for programs, and applications.

This has been a fun project, and has been VERY educational. :) According to Tonymacx86.com, "Any Intel PC can be converted to run MAC OS X..." I think this is AWESOME!!!!! :)

TL

I just confirmed with a friend of mine, (a genuine MAC guy), that the old 2008 MAC Pro 3,1 system DID in fact have two PCI-e slots on board. So, I CAN add the second GPU and set SETI@Home to the first GPU, and F@H to the second GPU. I will now save my coins for the second EVGA GTX-750 TI SC card. :)

TL

It's available from Apple: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

I gave it some thought but I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment. LOL

Amazon also sells copies of Snow Leopard 10.6.3. :)

Because I didn't know exactly what I was doing; it took me three weeks to get Snow Leopard up and running. Initially got "boot0: Error"; with the original Chimera Boot Loader, eventually had to slave my drive to my friend's MacBook with running Snow Leopard and run MultiBeast from there and targeted my Drive. Moved my drive back to my system, and then it was bootable.

El Capitan, 10.11.3, was more simple, and with the new Clover Boot Loader and Manager, things went quicker.

TL

Must confess I did have a tri-boot system at one stage- just to prove you could do it w7 / openSuse and a MAC o/s; all was fine until I added the MAC o/s it worked but constant boot up errors, hardware not recognised...I guess things have moved on since I tried.

Must confess I did have a tri-boot system at one stage- just to prove you could do it w7 / openSuse and a MAC o/s; all was fine until I added the MAC o/s it worked but constant boot up errors, hardware not recognised...I guess things have moved on since I tried.

Well, if you have access to an existing real MAC, to access; and can DL El Capitan, 10.11.4, then follow the UniBeast Instructions at Tonymacx86.com site to make a bootable USB Flash Drive, then you can skip the Snow Leopard steps altogether! You'll want to make sure that you DL, and put to the Flash Drive, the latest MultiBeast for El Capitan - v6.x for Post Installation; and if you have a modern GPU, (NVIDIA GTX-750, 750 TI SC, or above up to the 980 TI), you will need the Alternate NVIDIA, (Web), Driver, (346.03.06f01), and CUDA Driver, (7.5.26), installed. (ATI will need their own specific Drivers for MAC OS X El Capitan.)

If you have UEFI some modifications must be made to install MAC OS X. If you have a Legacy system, the BIOS settings MUST be set accordingly as well. (Listed at Tonymacx86.com) If you Dual Boot to Windows; some changes to the Win Drive may need to be made. If on UEFI and BIOS set to AHCI to boot already, fewer changes need to be made. However; you should still change the BIOS Clock to UTC Time, and then research and change the Registry to include RealTimeIsUniversal=1 hack for Win 7/Win 10. Otherwise, when you switch from MAC to Win; the Win Clock will ALWAYS be off by SEVERAL hours!!!

TL