Change Mode

A Few Unrelated Questions

Rally2xs

Hi. I have a few questions.

I bought the evergreen version of PC Pitstop and so have 5 computers that I can bestow PC Pitstop upon. Here's the first problem:

I have installed PC Pitstop on a desktop computer that I am now decommissioning and wiping the disk if all except the operating system. I intend to sell it on ebay. Can I "recover" my credit for PC Pitstop from this computer, and once again have 5 licenses available to put on other computers? I doubt if I will ever get that many in service at one time, but I might. I've got a Vista notebook, 2 Win 7 laptops, A Win 8.1 desktop, and my new Win 10 desktop that I'm using to replace the one that I am decommissioning and selling.

The 2nd problem is that on my old PC that I'm selling, I ran PC Pitstop and its "stop services" feature stopped my Fitbit scanner, so that I had to manually start it every time I wanted to use it. I have Fitbit on my new computer, and would really like to keep that service up and running. Is there a way to prevent PC Pitstop from nuking my Fitbit service?

My third question is that since I never installed the virus scanner Supershield, I'm not sure what to expect if I install it on my Windows 10 machine. Does it load or slow the computer very much during normal operation? Norton was awful about that. And should I turn it off when I'm doing a full-computer backup using Novastor?

Thanks,

Dave Head
Rally2xs

:wp:

Hi Dave, I'll be happy to help you with your questions.

1) PC Matic is licensed to you, not to any specific computers, so you can put any 5 that you wish on your license at any time. To the right of the computer name on the first screen of PC Matic is an option to remove any computer that has not been optimized within the last 60 days. Computers that have been on the license more than 90 days can be removed without having to wait 60 days from the last scan and clean. Just click on the "X".

If you are unable to complete the task because of the time table, just let us know which computer you wish to have removed and we will take it out for you.
2) This would be a white listing procedure that will need to be done for the Fitbit service. Reinstall the Fitbit program so that it is running properly, then run a PC Matic scan, however, do not click on 'Fix All' , instead, review the scan results and click on the red rectangle next to Services, if Fitbit is marked to be changed from Automatic to Manual start up, then there will be an option there to white list it. Go for it and the service will no longer be altered. (If auto-fix is enabled in the Options menu, then this will need to be set to Off for this exercise)
3) The beauty of Super Shield is that it has a very small footprint and does not slow down systems. Just insure that you are running it by itself. Running multiple "real-time" anti-virus/anti-malware programs at the same time will drag any rig down to a crawl.
SuperShield is a free add-on to further enhance the computer's protection. It is a real time security component and will block any program on our blacklist and programs that are not on the "known good" white list. Supershield should never allow malware to execute on your computer without the user's knowledge or permission.
You can right-click on the green shield icon in the lower right corner of the screen by the clock and change the Protection Level, we recommend that you just leave the SuperShield protection running, or you can change to SuperShield Advanced Mode, open a program in question again, and add the programs to your "Always Allow" list, provided that you know for sure that these are legitimate programs, or add them to the "Always Block" list to avoid seeing the warning screen for that specific executable. Only the SuperShield level of protection gives you the best available protection for your computer.
There is more information about SuperShield here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/supershield_info.asp
And here:
Thanks for posting your questions and thanks for joining our forum.
:) Y

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured out how to take the old computer off after reading some more last night. The info on keeping the program from nuking Fitbit is very helpful, thanks again. And, I don't have any other security software, so PC-Matic will be running all by itself. I've mostly been running without any anti-virus for decades, but I'm really, really, really suspicious of anything I have to click, and doubly so if it comes in on e-mail. I seem to have avoided any problems up to now.

Thanks again,

Dave Head

• 2 months later...

In # 2 above you stated that "you can change to SuperShield Advanced Mode" there is no "Advanced Mode" on my Computer, my version of SuperShield is v1.0.0.60....

In PC Matic how can I check to see what version is installed on my computer....

Super Shield has had some changes since February. Now you click on the green shield icon and select Protection Level>Block Notification Method>Prompt for override (advanced).

Control Panel>Programs and Features should show the PC Matic version number. If it does not, you can right click on bar with Name, Publisher, etc and add the version number from the right-click menu.

Archived