just for fun

terry1966

having just spent time on a new build experimenting with lots of different kernels it got me curious on what others were currently running so i thought i'd ask everyone to post what distro they are running and with what kernel.

to find out what kernel your running just type in the below command in a console/terminal or whatever you call it and then post the result.

uname -r

on this system i'm running suse 13.2 with a 3.16.7-29-desktop kernel.

suse13.2@linux-4fcl:~> uname -r
3.16.7-29-desktop

will post the the results of ones i have installed on a different triple boot pc (leap42,13.2 and tumbleweed) later.

:b33r:

I'm away fro my rig at the mo'....I'll post up when I get home Friday.

I'm running Leap in Oracle VM on my 13.2 install; any idea how that may afffect the kernel?? Guess we'll see, but I'm assuming whatever the default is in Leap that is what i'll see.

vm's won't effect the kernel version.

did notice from now on with suse there is no "-desktop" kernel builds like in 13.2 and all newer version just have the "-default" kernel

my leap42.1 system (daughters new skylake build.) is running the 4.5.0-rc1-2.gc7bac4c-default kernel from the stable repo.

think leaps default kernel is 4.1 something.

i'm curious kurt why are you using the -pae kernel? i'd expect that one only on 32bit system with more than 4GB of ram and thought everyone here was running 64bit systems for some reason so wasn't expecting anyone to be using anything other than default or desktop kernels.

I have an old 32-bit Shuttle box on which I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I'm trying to set it up to run F@H, but I can't get the initial configuration screen to come up, so I can't enter the group number, user name and passkey. I can get into the configuration page and delete the default "local" client so I can put in my user name, but it asks for a password, not a passkey, and there's nowhere to put the group number. The client goes into an interminable "connecting" status. Any suggestions?

I have an old 32-bit Shuttle box on which I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I'm trying to set it up to run F@H, but I can't get the initial configuration screen to come up, so I can't enter the group number, user name and passkey. I can get into the configuration page and delete the default "local" client so I can put in my user name, but it asks for a password, not a passkey, and there's nowhere to put the group number. The client goes into an interminable "connecting" status. Any suggestions?

I don't run Ubuntu. I run SUSE but I'm going to assume they are simmilar installs for FaH. Folding should have created folders Client & Work (i think; doing this from wrk with no access to my rig); inside one of these folders is the config file that you need to ammend to include user name; passkey and team. Before editing the original config file I would save it as config_old; just incase you damage the original!!

The cores, logs, and work folder, plus current log file, are located here:

/var/lib/fahclient

The config.xml file is located here:

/etc/fahclient

Hope this helps.

i'm curious kurt why are you using the -pae kernel? i'd expect that one only on 32bit system with more than 4GB of ram and thought everyone here was running 64bit systems for some reason so wasn't expecting anyone to be using anything other than default or desktop kernels.

I am running 32-bit, my box is old. If I choose other options I can run default instead of pae. I forget how to find out how much RAM I have.

• 1 month later...

Dell XPS M1330 lappy

3.16.7-35-desktop

Need to fresh install on desktop, want to set it up to boot from SSD.... as soon as I figure out how! Oh and also need to figure out the AMD graphics driver for APU.