opensuse leap42

terry1966

anyone installed it and what do you think of it also what if any problems did you find?

just tried it on a new build and must admit i'm not impressed at all and don't have the patience to try and find and fix the problems i'm running into.

:b33r:

it's lots of little things like when i play a video in vlc the picture hides the toolbar popdown menus, when i try and change the colours of the display in system monitor they don't show up to be clicked on, no leap42.1 repo for pipelight (other repo's fail for some reason.) etc. etc. besides trying to find my way around the new settings layout and options these other little problems are just to much for an impatient old git like me, so think i'm going to download and install 13.2.

maybe it's just a kde thing and the other desktops work fine but considering it's been out a while now and is supposed to be the long term and stable option and suse's future i am not impressed at all by it.

forgot to ask are you running leap42.1 or just 13.2 but with brtfs ? snapper's used with brtfs isn't it? pretty sure when i did the install i ticked or unticked the option to make snapshots so snapper shouldn't be running on that system.

Edited by terry1966

I have installed it on two computers. No issues with it, it runs fine.

As for snapper the easiest way around that is to not use btrfs, but use ext4 instead. I install and use ext4 for both root and /home. No issues, and everything runs fine. ;)

you having any problems with video playback in vlc bruce, the video window seems to be in front of the gui part so covers the pop down menus, no idea if it's an intel driver problem or a kde/vlc problem but at the moment i'm getting so frustrated with trying to use this new os i think i'm just going to nuke it and install 13.2 that way i can check if there are any hardware specific problems or if it's just leap42.1 and kde problems breaking stuff.

also do you need/use pipelight/silverlight if so how did you install it? tried all the different repo's (seeing how there is no leap42.1 repo) and can't get it to playback anything, i need it for netflix and sky.

Edited by terry1966

where needs must. :rofl3:

it's the only way to play netflix and skygo content so it's not as if we have a choice except not to use those services.

was playing around with bluray on linux the other week, that's another drm pain in the butt.

was thinking of putting a bluray player in this build for my daughter but after the hassles i had with my mates bluray laptop decided against it. :laughing:

it's lots of little things like when i play a video in vlc the picture hides the toolbar popdown menus, when i try and change the colours of the display in system monitor they don't show up to be clicked on, no leap42.1 repo for pipelight (other repo's fail for some reason.) etc. etc. besides trying to find my way around the new settings layout and options these other little problems are just to much for an impatient old git like me, so think i'm going to download and install 13.2.

maybe it's just a kde thing and the other desktops work fine but considering it's been out a while now and is supposed to be the long term and stable option and suse's future i am not impressed at all by it.

forgot to ask are you running leap42.1 or just 13.2 but with brtfs ? snapper's used with brtfs isn't it? pretty sure when i did the install i ticked or unticked the option to make snapshots so snapper shouldn't be running on that system.

You are indeed simply experiencing graphics problems. Going to 13.2 would likely be even worse.

You need at least Linux kernel v4.3 to get support for a Skylake CPU, at least if you use built-in Intel graphics.

You can add the stable kernel repo, and install kernel 4.4 in leap. http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/

Edited by Bruce

Thanks for the heads up, Terry. I'm sticking with 13.2 on my ancient box.

my problems are probably just because the hardware is so new kurt, leap42 looks great i must admit so it's just a case of me finding the fixes to my issues you can bet they're out there, i just have to locate them.

my main problem is i'm crap at troubleshooting problems and hardly ever read logs so things take me at least 5 times longer to fix as someone who knows what they're doing. :rofl3:

yes thanks bruce will give that fix a try tomorrow for both 13.2 and leap42. :tup:

when i have them both up and running perfectly i think i'll give kodi a try on one just to see what it's like while mythtv can be installed on the os i choose for default startup (probably leap42.).