Folding Problems - F@H Client Failing...

OK - It's been awhile since I've used the F@H Client. It has been on; but, I've had the recognized GPU "Paused" because I primarily run BOINC for SETI@Home.

SETI@Home has been out of work for the last few days; so, I re-engaged F@H on both of my computers. (One Intel QX9650 with a EVGA GTX-750 TI SC on Win 7 Pro x64, and one AMD A6-6400K with EVGA GTX-760 on Win XP Pro x64.) No hardware, nor software changes have been made to either computer. On the Win XP system, F@H crashes after completing a WU and trying to start a new WU. It DOES manage to DL the new WU, and after the crash shows "Ready" Status, but WON'T run/Fold. EVERY time this happens, I have to close the Advanced Control I had open, and Exit the F@H Client. Then I wait 15 Seconds to make sure that F@H has completely shut down, then I relaunch. Upon relaunching, it immediately opens Web View, (why, I don't know), and then an error msg pops up. I click OK on the msg, Web View continues loading, then begins to show F@H Folding. I close Web View and launch Advanced Control, and confirm that it is indeed Folding.

This has been going on for three days, now. Should I reinstall the Client to fix this???

Also, on the Win 7 machine, EVERY new running WU now is being flagged by PCMatic Supershield!!! Today, the F@H Client crashed here, too. So, I closed the Advanced Control, which had NO running WU, it was blank in the field where a WU should have been. I exited the F@H Client, waited 15 Seconds, relaunched F@H, and PCMatic IMMEDIATELY flagged the F@H Client as "Harmful" - I clicked Always Allow, then it tried to run the new WU, and PCMatic flagged the WU as well, and I had to click Always Allow for that, too. I've NOT had to go through this before over the past year or so I've been running F@H. So, what's going on now???

TL

OK - It's been awhile since I've used the F@H Client. It has been on; but, I've had the recognized GPU "Paused" because I primarily run BOINC for SETI@Home.

SETI@Home has been out of work for the last few days; so, I re-engaged F@H on both of my computers. (One Intel QX9650 with a EVGA GTX-750 TI SC on Win 7 Pro x64, and one AMD A6-6400K with EVGA GTX-760 on Win XP Pro x64.) No hardware, nor software changes have been made to either computer. On the Win XP system, F@H crashes after completing a WU and trying to start a new WU. It DOES manage to DL the new WU, and after the crash shows "Ready" Status, but WON'T run/Fold. EVERY time this happens, I have to close the Advanced Control I had open, and Exit the F@H Client. Then I wait 15 Seconds to make sure that F@H has completely shut down, then I relaunch. Upon relaunching, it immediately opens Web View, (why, I don't know), and then an error msg pops up. I click OK on the msg, Web View continues loading, then begins to show F@H Folding. I close Web View and launch Advanced Control, and confirm that it is indeed Folding.

This has been going on for three days, now. Should I reinstall the Client to fix this???

Also, on the Win 7 machine, EVERY new running WU now is being flagged by PCMatic Supershield!!! Today, the F@H Client crashed here, too. So, I closed the Advanced Control, which had NO running WU, it was blank in the field where a WU should have been. I exited the F@H Client, waited 15 Seconds, relaunched F@H, and PCMatic IMMEDIATELY flagged the F@H Client as "Harmful" - I clicked Always Allow, then it tried to run the new WU, and PCMatic flagged the WU as well, and I had to click Always Allow for that, too. I've NOT had to go through this before over the past year or so I've been running F@H. So, what's going on now???

TL

If it was me, I'd try a reinstall of the client on both machines. ;)

:geezer:

OK - I just finally got F@H on Exeter, (the GTX-760, Win XP Pro x64 system), reinstalled. It is now Folding. Estimated time is approx. 18 Hours; but, this will change. Once this WU is finished, I hope it will pick up and DL a new one and be able to run it automatically.

If this works; I will do the same to Prometheus. (GTX-750 TI SC system.)

TL

Reporting in on Exeter's progress. Just witnessed the F@H Client DL new WU, putting it in "Ready" status while finishing Folding the existing WU. Once the finishing WU completed and successfully reported, the "Ready" status on the new WU moved to "Running"...

So, reinstalling the Client was the answer. Does this corruption happen routinely??? Should I worry??? I've NEVER had BOINC do this; been crunching SETI on various machines since 2006.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

Just had the problem rear its ugly head, again!!! :( Found Exeter halted with the error msg popup displayed. New WU frozen at "Ready", and NOT able to start Folding. Reinstalled F@H AGAIN!!!

ALL other programs running perfectly!!! So, what gives????? :o

TL

Well, it crashed AGAIN during the night. Got in to see the popup error msg... This time, I re-downloaded the installer, then re-installed the Client. Still got a popup error msg on startup, had to close and exit the client again, then relaunched again, and I'm up and running - for now.

Any thoughts, suggestions??? This is VERY frustrating! If it crashes again, I will close it permanently, switch the system back to BOINC and crunch SETI Beta while I wait for SETI Main to get their act together for the V8 app. :(

TL

Exeter, (GTX-760 system), crashed AGAIN!!!!! I put the new unit to "Finish", it finished while I was away from the system. I just now, (1-16-2016, 4:16 PM - PST), put F@H on Exeter to "Pause", exited Advanced Control, launched BOINC and Resumed SETI Beta.

Exeter will now work on Beta V8 for SETI to help get GPU Apps to SETI Main faster.

Don't know what else to do. Prometheus, (GTX-750 system), seems fine, now... No more alerts from PCMatic, and it hasn't crashed once... So, it will continue F@H until SETI Main releases V8 to everyone.

TL

Have you ran Memtest80 on Exeter? CHKDISK? sfc /scannow?

:geezer:

No, I haven't... Didn't think it was necessary; since ONLY F@H has the problem. BOINC ran perfectly for hours, and BOINC, (in all honesty), is more stringent on processing than F@H. No issues arose with BOINC. I also had FF open with several tabs, was able to search the web for stuff... Also had VLC open to play a Jackie Evancho song; no problems there. ...And, had Skype running...

If there was a memory issue, wouldn't it be logical that even one of these other programs would have failed as well??? Hard drive is running fine, opened defrag just to see if it was needed; and it analyzed Drive C and stated "Defragmentation not needed."

BOINC will resume running at 6 AM - PST and will run until 9 PM - PST. SETI Beta runs two v8 WUs at a time on the GTX-760. (Something that doesn't seem possible to do on F@H...) Because it runs WUs in parallel without issue, maximizing GPU and CPU Utilization, (and memory usage), is why I state that BOINC is more stringent on processing than F@H... Until BOINC fails, to me Exeter is NOT the problem, F@H Client is the problem.

TL