Change happens slowly

dimwit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/11/microsoft_open_sources_windows_live_writer/

Sure there are plenty of open source applications. But this is Microsoft staring
their future in the face.
The future for Dell is not clear to me. They already had BIOS downloads for Linux users and that just vanished somehow. I truly hope they make this work. Hard to tell your grandmother just to follow the directions on some blog to upgrade her BIOS!

you never need to upgrade your bios/uefi unless it's to fix a bios/uefi bug in the first place or you need a newer bios/uefi before the motherboard will support a new hardware change you plan on making. eg. like upgrading to a newer cpu architecture that can be used on your motherboard but not before a bios upgrade to make the cpu seen and usable.

to find out if you need a bios update go to the motherboard manufacturer and check what the newer bios fix and see if you need that fix before making any hardware changes. obviously you can't update a bios after changing something like the cpu if that cpu won't be usable by the motherboard until the bios is updated first so that's why you need to make sure the bios/uefi is fully updated before making a hardware change like cpu.

only time i've really needed to upgrade my bios was to get gpt compatibility which it needed for me to use hard drives over 2TB in size without the mbr limitation hassles.

mbr vs gpt:- http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

update bios? :- http://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

personally i think anyone who updates the bios/uefi from inside an os is just asking for trouble so that 2nd links story is something linux would be much better off without anyway in my humble opinion.

as to the first link windows live writer is another pointless item for linux too i'd say but then again more software the better.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

The real point of my original post is open source and multi-OS support is the future for both hardware and software providers.

I agree that flashing the BIOS from a floppy or usb is safer than from within the OS but it is much more difficult. My mom or dad

won't even try to use the long route.
I have used windows application to flash BIOS and I've done it the hard way.
They have both worked fine for me but it is easier just letting an app do the heavy lifting not to mention quicker.
Out of the 3 laptops I have owned 2 of them had to have BIOS upgrades just so they could be used without locking up or burning up.
On one of my Dell laptops other linux users were very specific on which upgrade was needed for a trouble free install of linux.(i.e. 4 or later).
I am very careful and anxious when I upgrade the BIOS, but I've had to do it.
And the latest recommended BIOS made all the difference.