Change Mode

Team Points

I've noticed sometimes that the hourly points show as 0 even though points were submitted for some of us at that same time.

Example would be today at 6PM.. it shows 0 points for the 3PM and 6PM checkpoints, but I see points submitted by looking at each individuals page. At the least I see points at 6PM for myself, bacterozoid, Nigsy, DianaLyon, dickster, and muttonhunter... so 6 of us got points but it shows 0 for the 6PM mark on team summary page.

Is it just a goof on EOC page?

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32035

Well, I can't say for sure with F@H; but, at SETI@Home the Validators have to wait for consensus between two different PCs working on on WU. That is, each PC crunches the WU independently, and at different times. One PC might crunch a WU immediately and finish the WU in 1 Hour; but the Wingman's PC might have a long queue of other WUs being worked on. That PC doesn't complete the WU for another week. The Validator can't run and give credit until the Wingman turns in his/her results back to the Server. For this reason; of all the BOINC Projects that exist, SETI gives the longest due dates for WUs. (About a month for a WU.) This is to accomodate the slower running CPUs out there that work on the Project. While most newer members of SETI run GPUs and crunch WUs 15 Min each; or, an hour a WU for the Astropulse Units, there are still people crunching SETI with Pentium IIs and IIIs; or, if they have GPUs they have old NVIDIA GTX-275s or older... I know that these GPUs have been locked out of F@H for awhile and that F@H focusses on producing WUs for newer GPUs; but, SETI@Home still lets these old hardware models contribute. Further, if the two PCs don't match in their results, then the WU gets sent out, again, to a third PC to be crunched. When that one finishes, it will validate with one or the other original crunchers. The two that match in their results will get granted credit and the odd man out gets marked "Invalid" and gets no credit.

So, maybe the Wingmen for these F@H WUs are still crunching/Folding and the F@H Validators are waiting for those results to come in to grant credit to both the Wingmen and yourselves. But, I'm just guessing. With SETI, there MUST be a consensus between two crunchers for those PCs to be granted credit for a completed WU.

TL

Thanks c_b, I'll keep that in mind to check each time the stats show 0's for us.

there are still people crunching SETI with Pentium IIs and IIIs

:yikes: even I don't have anything that old any more! pretty cool to hear there's still some functioning ones out there... not as obsolete as claimed are they!! :mrgreen:

Thanks c_b, I'll keep that in mind to check each time the stats show 0's for us.

:yikes: even I don't have anything that old any more! pretty cool to hear there's still some functioning ones out there... not as obsolete as claimed are they!! :mrgreen:

Well, I don't know exactly how long it takes them to crunch a WU; but, probably more than 30 hours per WU... My old K6-2 350's in 2006 took 28 to 30 hours for a SETI WU. Since that time, many changes have hit SETI@Home. WUs are much larger now... So, if I had to guess, a P-II probably takes at least 50 hours to complete a WU; maybe even more... A P-III might not be much better. If we round up and say 4 full days for one WU; with the time the SETI@Home Project gives, these old systems could still contribute. Surprising, but true... ;):)

TL

[EDIT:]

Oh, and some of these old systems are left to crunch 24/7 to help them get more work done. Probably costs a bundle in electricity, as these old systems aren't as efficient with power draw as newer systems being sold today. I'm just glad I was FINALLY able to join the ranks of GPU users last year at SETI and here. GPUs are MUCH more efficient, and MUCH faster than ANY CPU for crunching or folding.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

Been leaving mine to fold 24/7.. don't know if it's really doing much on the electric bill. This new machine should be using about 1/4 the power my old one was using. Old monitor was a Dell CRT that was very hungry for power, would eat up 250 watts worth when powered on and if I read the spec sheet right about 100 watts in stand by mode. New one is an Asus LED backlit LCD and it uses only 0.5 watts in standby and 25 watts in full powered on mode. Old desktop was running an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott core (115 watt TDP) at 3.4GHz stock. New one runs an AMD A4-6300 dual core (65 watt TDP) at 3.7GHz (turbo to 3.9GHz)

I will most likely have to upgrade the 350 watt PSU when I add a dedicated GPU.