System Updates

JustinP526

Got 8 updates, trying to install them and it gives an error message. Trying to figure out which update has the problem. The youtube-dl update shows up every time there are updates available. Not sure if it skips that one because I can't find anything installed that is part of it and don't see any kind of download button or anything when I go to youtube either in firefox or chromium.

The error message says Dependency resolution failed.

chromium-ffmpeg-45.0.2454.101-54.1.x86_64 requires chromium = 45.0.2454.101, but this requirement cannot be provided

th_snapshot17_zpseeaizea3.png

On the list of updates available I click the + symbol next to each so it will show details of what each update is. The info never shows up and the green icon thing keeps spinning

th_snapshot16_zpsiqmbgbrz.png

The 8 updates I see are:

gmplayer

Mplayer

mpv

openSUSE-2015-675

openSUSE-2015-676

openSUSE-2015-678

openSUSE-2015-679 <--- thinking this one because it looks like it says security update for Ch... so guessing that's chromium

youtube-dl

Should I try rebooting and then attempt updates again?

rebooting and trying again will change nothing.

like it says you have chromium-ffmpeg-45.0.2454.101-54.1.x86_64 version installed and this needs chromium 45.0.2454.101 to work correctly.

now the question arises why you have a version of chromium-ffmpeg installed that you don't have the chromium dependency for, only thing i can think of is you've installed one or the other from some place other than the repo's in yast.

in my system latest versions of both from the opensuse repo are 46.0.2490.71-54.1-x86_64 (later versions than what you are using.)

so i'd suggest you first go into yast software manager and check on both if one is red then that is probably the package you have manually installed from another source, simply update that unconditionally so it uses a version in your repo's then go and install the matching version for the other chromium package to the one you've just updated. (check the numbers and source so they match.) and then you shouldn't get the error message in future.

like i said they both should at least be versions the same as mine from the opensuse repo.

tell a lie, i made a mistake when checking.

latest chromium version in repo's is chromium-46.0.2490.71-54.1-x86_64 but latest chromium-ffmpeg is chromium-ffmpeg-45.0.2454.101-54.1-x86_64, so what i would do is go into yast software management and uninstall the chromium-ffmpeg package and then install the chromium-ffmpegsumo package instead which does have the correct versions.

now you shouldn't have any more problems when updating. (both will be 46.0.2490.71-54.1-x86_64)

this will break playback of something because some proprietary codecs are now missing but until packman updates the chromium-ffmpeg to the latest so the packages match again there is nothing else you can do to stop that error except build your own chromium-ffmpeg package or of course you can go into yast and tell it to not update the chromium version from version 45.0.2454.101-54.1.x86_64 by right clicking on it and clicking protected do not modify.

don't forget if you do that though to unprotect it and do the update when the packman repo as been updated and holds the same version chromium-ffmpeg as the latest chromium, might even be done by the time you read this so nothing needs doing except try the update again.

anyway that's where the problem is the chromium browser from the opensuse repo is a newer version than the chromium-ffmpeg codecs in the packman repo and until both match again you are going to get that error.

as to the youtube-dl that is a command line program used for copying video content off the net from sites like youtube, now i have no idea if you have that installed because you installed a frontend program/gui that requires it to work or not, but assume you have it on your system because you've installed something so you can copy internet streams easily.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Thought the youtube-dl was part of installing pipelight, but I might be wrong.

When I open chromium and go to About Chromium it shows version 45.0.2454.101 (64 bit).

Not having any trouble with using chromium, so I could just uncheck/ignore the update(s) for it until everything matches in packman repo.

Thought the youtube-dl was part of installing pipelight, but I might be wrong.

nope definitely not, was something else you installed that probably needs/needed it.

When I open chromium and go to About Chromium it shows version 45.0.2454.101 (64 bit).

yes because that is the current version installed but suse wants to update it for security reasons to the latest available and that's when it runs into the conflict with the chromium-ffmpeg .

if you open yast software manager and found chromium then highlighted it, in the box lower right you can then click on the versions tab and see what versions are available and would see a newer version than the one installed.

Not having any trouble with using chromium, so I could just uncheck/ignore the update(s) for it until everything matches in packman repo.

as good an option as anything and i doubt it will take packman long to sort things, and wouldn't surprise me if the package was update today sometime.

yep it updated and showed the chromium-ffmpeg update as well. installed and checked chromium, it now shows as version 46

i'll have to look into the youtube-dl thing then, can't remember what had it listed as a dependency. maybe pulseaudio volume control or pulseaudio equalizer?

yep it updated and showed the chromium-ffmpeg update as well. installed and checked chromium, it now shows as version 46

i'll have to look into the youtube-dl thing then, can't remember what had it listed as a dependency. maybe pulseaudio volume control or pulseaudio equalizer?

like i said before nothing will have youtube-dl as a dependency except a program frontend/gui that uses it for downloading internet content, so no pulseaudio or anything else similar will not install it as a dependency, probably some type of media centre/player type program, simple gui for it or maybe even a browser addon might have installed it.

if you have nothing installed now to download content from the internet and don't use youtube-dl then you can just go into yast and uninstall it if you want, if something breaks then you will know what was using it and then just install it again. :mrgreen:

youtube-dl :- http://www.tecmint.com/install-youtube-dl-command-line-video-download-tool/

Edited by terry1966

ok.. well no clue. got between 6 and 12 media players showing under Applications - Multimedia. don't know what, where, when or how... i'm lucky to remember what happened 5 minutes ago so what ever.

now there is system update of kernel. it downloaded and installed. reboot is required for kernel updates so went ahead with restart and it boots up fine... but no wireless listed under network manager. it will show the onboard LAN port as disconnected (because i don't have a wired connection available) and it shows the air plane mode check box. no check box for wifi though.

there is still the little wrench for settings. click that and it brings up Connection Editor, which, shows the network i connect to in the list and says last used 2 minutes ago.. but get no connection.

reboot again and choose more options at splash screen, chose to boot the previous kernel and wireless is there and working just fine.

i will have to reboot to get the exact version of each kernel i guess, can't remember and didn't even think to write it down... not like i have any paper/pen handy anyway

when the kernel gets updated any drivers you've manually installed need to be re-installed again, so at a guess i'd say you need to install the driver for your wifi again.

i have the same problem with my tv card and need to install the driver again for that.

the standard driver (realtek rtl8192cu) is problematic. the one i have installed is a dkms module. thought that is supposed to auto setup when updating kernels. at least it did last time on an ubuntu based rig.

dkms rebuilds the driver to the newer kernel (or should) when the kernel is updated, now i've no idea what's gone wrong but obviously something has because there is no wireless adaptor showing in network manager.

so do whatever steps you did to make and install the driver for the older kernel on the newer kernel and then you should find everything works just fine again.

Edited by terry1966

think i ran an rpm that did it all automatically. there's also manual steps to do so. it needed to have internet connection to download install files.

i'll search here, think i remember a while ago that i asked about the same thing and either you or nigsy or bruce mentioned something about dkms files should still be available without need to download again. so just need to run a command and it will re-install in the new kernel.

*edit*

yep, found it

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/204091-software-updates/?hl=dkms&do=findComment&comment=1792692

Edited by JustinP526

Been rather busy here the past few days, so haven't gotten around to all this yet. Going to try getting it done soon though.

Currently at boot up I choose the advanced or other options from the boot menu. Then I can choose between 3 different kernels. Don't know why 3 and don't remember any other kernel updates aside from this past one.

The one I use now, which, is working just fine is

openSUSE, with Linux 3.16.7-24-desktop

The newest one is

openSUSE, with Linux 3.16.7-29-desktop

I can provide screenshots if required. When I boot to the option with newest kernel I get no wireless connection. The icon is on the bottom right next to time and when I click it there is the check box for airplane mode, but the check box for enable wireless is not even there.

Need to shut down the machine anyway to clean it out again (dust builds up all over inside within a few weeks) and need to check hardware. Started hearing a sound the other day and not sure if it's a fan bearing starting to go or if it was the hdd acting up. I'm hoping for fan since those are cheaper to replace and since the machine is only 8 months old, none of the components should be dead already. But guessing it's a fan since I stopped folding and the sound stopped when temperatures dropped. Probably time to switch up the stock AMD cooler for that Hyper 212 Evo already!!

Finally had some time to work on this and rebooted to the new kernel. Ran the commands to install the dkms module for the wi-fi adapter and that fixed it. Now it shows the enable/disable check box for wireless. Don't know why it had to be done manually this time, but the last time around in Ubuntu it did it automatically.

Might have to search about for a newer driver or something, it still keeps dropping off the connection to 0 B/s and then it disconnects and re-connects.

Better yet, any recommendation on a wireless-AC adapter that plays well with Linux? Looking into getting one of those wireless-AC routers for the family as holiday gift!!