Change Mode

This is the first smart phone I've ever owned, been used to using just standard flip phones that can make/receive calls and send/receive text messages.

I got this phone about a month ago (too good a deal to pass on) and it's a really nice phone for cheap and without the hassle of being stuck in a contract.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-wireless-prepaid-lg-optimus-exceed-2-no-contract-cell-phone-black/5941013.p?id=1219172227195&skuId=5941013&cmp=RMX&ref=P10T12R103&loc=BODY&CampaignID=755011&SubscriberID=298656463&eut=2809396012&track=recClick&eapi=true&ep=rc-mv,dr-all,av-4.3,mv-0.1,ds-mv,rk-3

My only complaint so far is that the airtime cards (can be bought anywhere from grocery store to Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens etc) expire after 30 days whether there is airtime left or not. Aside from that.. it's a great phone, easy to use and works great! Was a steal at only $15!!

Been reading over some of the reviews that others are posting about it and it seems everyone else who bought is saying the same thing. One review states that it runs out of memory rather quick and not all types of apps can be transferred to microSD.

Then I seen this one review and it's got me curious, how can this be done?

Gave this to my 9yo daughter. Never activated the phone part. She uses it on wifi only and has her own VoIP line. she loves it

The review is dated 14 October 2015 (just this past Wednesday). Mine doesn't seem to allow me access to any feature other than emergency call unless the phone is activated first. It only shows the Setup Wizard screen and I notice it keeps jumping back and forth between 1x mode and 3G mode.

Anyone aware of how to set it up on VoIP via wifi? Or is that really possible or even legal?

I'm just curious since those top up cards can get a bit expensive when lots of them need to be purchased in order to replenish airtime that has expired.

never tried myself, i put £10 of credit on my phone and that lasts about a year over here in the uk.

what i'd try is to restrict back ground data to wifi only and then install and only use some voip software for making calls.

see if this helps :- http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/top-5-android-voip-apps-for-making-free-phone-calls-0162260/

:b33r:

looking into that now, just had no idea such a thing was possible! had a desktop PC that was running Windows and it had Google click to call or something like that installed. seemed like a nice feature, but it also liked to bog down the whole machine. every website that had a phone number showing would have to load up with the phone number showing as a click-able link to allow one to click the number and it would then call. only works if you have speakers and microphone plugged into PC though! i suppose that no problem for laptop since those usually have built in speakers and mic.

i'm not sure we can even get such a low denomination of credit on mobile phones here in usa.

£10 is $15 at least according to xe.com currency converter. i was told that credit up to $50 (£32) is good for 30 days and then anything $100 (£65) and up is good for 60 days. the $100 ones should also include 10GB of data so maybe it balances out to an ok deal.

plugged the phone into usb port and aside from it starts charging (think this mobo allows super charge, but for iphone only and i thought that was only available for usb 3.0 which this board does not have)... got a device manager pop up thing asking what to do with this device. chose open with dolphin and that shows contents of the phone. looks like all Windows file types (.dll .exe .msi)

th_snapshot14_zpsjtma07e8.png

i guess that means you have a windows smart phone. ;)

not an android, so windows voip apps are what you'll need to be looking at.

think most of the voip apps are made to work on all the different operating systems.

yeah that's what it looks like...

but it's supposed to be android 4.4.2 kitkat

i wonder if there was a mistake in the advert. think i even seen 1 or 2 reviews that someone says it's advertised as 4G but only works in 3G mode at best.

either way, still interesting to know and should be lots of fun to play with and figure out!

windows phones menu look like this :- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+phone+menu&biw=1189&bih=808&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI6Ji2kaHKyAIVgj8UCh2tvQMb

android phones menu looks like this :- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=android+phone+menu&biw=1189&bih=808&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIzZ2qhKHKyAIVxtYUCh3u6ACG

should be easy enough to know if you have a windows or android operating system on your phone.

windows you'll need to sign up for a windows account and get your apps from the windows store.

android you'll need to sign up for a google, amazon or samsung account and get your apps from their stores.

According to LG it is android.

lgeusbautorun.dll is a kitkat file to bring up the folders when it is connected to a windows computer.

If he had a windows phone, it would bring up completely different folders. In fact, it would look very similar to what a windows directory of a computer would look like. There would be: Document, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc.

These are the files that should be on a LG phone with KitKat (according to support):

Tools (directory)

Autorun

Config

LG (icon)

LGEUSBAutorun.dll

LGUTchkdl.dll

License

(the readme.txt and the verizon upgrade files must have been added by Verizon).

and the tools directory should have a file called: LGUSBmodemdrivers_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_NP (or something similar).

P.S. it is only a 3G phone.

things must be different over there then because i've never seen a dll or .exe file on any android phone (not that i've seen loads, probably 5 or 6 connected to about 3 or 4 different networks), ok tools directory could be on an android phone because the main folder seems to be named differently depending on manufacturer.

so as far as i'm aware a dll and .exe files are useless and won't run on an android phone, well probably not unless you run them with some emulation software running on android first, also an .ini file is usually used for windows configuration, andoid uses .xml files i believe.

folders are usually something like,

phone name/identity

main folder (named internalstorage on 1 and store_xxxxxx on another android smart phone i have.)

then main folders inside that are

alarms, android, dcim, download,movies,music,notifications, pictures, podcast, ringtones

depending on what things installed on the phone you may have extra folders like amazon etc.

files outside folders are either .xml or .txt depending on what's installed on phones by manufactures/apps on my 2 phones, one's a sony and the other is a motog.

should add i understand from what you posted that the windows files seem to be used for the usb driver/setup and are stored on the phone so a windows pc can communicate with it but then again i don't understand how the windows pc can access those files and that usb driver if it needs them to communicate with the android phone in the first place.

is that typical verizon logic? :laughing:

Edited by terry1966

I'm talking about more than I know. Don't have an LG phone. Just know that LG says those are what you see when you plug it into your computer, and as I said, the LGEUSBAutorun.dll is a file specifically to allow the folders to be read when plugged into your computer. I'm guessing that they expect the computer to be a windows one.

Hey Justin. Are you running any type of emulation software on your computer that might make the phone think it is being accessed on a windows system?

By the way, LG makes a program called PCSuite that is designed to manage files on the phone... however they say that there is no similiar program available for linux and that it will not run under Wine (though can be ran on a virtual box - LG doesn't reccomend it).

It is interesting, to me, that LG reccomends using PCSuite for installing any and all upgrades - but don't doesn't make provisions for using a Linux machine. Shouldn't linux just talk to linux???

OK... perhaps there is another way. Supposedly if you click on the settings icon > then General > then PC connection > then USB connection and then connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable- you should be able to use your file manager program on your computer to see the files that we are expecting to see.

sorry tomk, been staring at my post making changes and refining it , so it read better and made more sense to me :mrgreen: so you may have missed those changes along with me missing your 3 reply's.

yes linux will just talk to an android phone when connected by cable and you just open your file manager software and drag and drop files between the 2.

guess only justin can verify if he has a windows or android phone, must admit from everything i've also been able to find out verizon only do that phone with an android os though.

should add there are 2 or 3 modes used to communicate with a pc, mtp, ptp and usb mass storage mode, by default android uses the mtp mode i think, can't actually find the settings on my phone at the moment, probably because i haven't activated developer mode since i did a factory reset ages ago.

more about such things in following links.

http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

http://www.device-recovery.com/how-to-connect-android-devices-to-pc-with-usb-mass-storage-mode

http://www.howtogeek.com/165017/how-to-share-data-and-files-between-your-android-phone-and-pc/

Edited by terry1966

If he's viewing it in Dolphin in MTP mode it might have opened the windows driver folder and not the Android Root folder (The one Terry is talking about); which is the USB connection default - Switched off in Gingerbread I think; but can be enabled via developer mode.

You then copy the drivers from the phone to your PC and run the .exe; Sony used to do a similar thing.

I can't open Justins picture to have a proper look

If he's viewing it in Dolphin in MTP mode it might have opened the windows driver folder and not the Android Root folder

didn't even know there was a windows driver folder on android phone, never seen one myself.

just shows how much i know about android phones. :laughing:

with my phones nearly everything i can disable is disabled, no idea what most of the stuff is for anyway, but i have no background services, no location services, no backup services, nothing to do with google except google games i believe because i needed it for ring tones, etc. etc. so about the only thing they are used for is sms and phone calls, battery does last a week or more on standby though before i need to charge them. :rofl3:

does this link work for you nigsy? :- http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/jp52681/media/snapshot14_zpsjtma07e8.png.html

Edited by terry1966

Usually the only emulation software I ever have installed is video game console emulators (Project64, ZSNES, ePSXe, PCSX2). Just looked and I do see DOSBox installed, can't remember if that was part of Pipelight (Linux equivalent to Silverlight) or from something else.

Thinking the phone maybe has to be activated first before I'm able to do anything with it. Just see a Setup Wizard screen. Choose language, press next and then it says:

A special call needs to be made to activate your phone service. After tapping "Activate", listen to the instructions provided to activate your phone.

To program your phone tap here.

The word 'here' is underlined and blue text (like a clickable link on web browser. Tapping it just does the same as the Activate "button" at the bottom of the touch screen. Can't program anything, it just auto dials *22898 or *228 and there is an automated thing. So guess I have no choice other than to activate it with refill card(s).

No clue how that one person was able to set theirs up with VoIP over wifi without needing to activate.

didn't even know there was a windows driver folder on android phone, never seen one myself.

just shows how much i know about android phones. :laughing:

The idea is that you install the phone manager software (for Sony it's called Companion or something) from the internet; connect your phone, generic windows driver load and the software launches. It then prompts to update drivers, the software accesses the Windows folder on the phone and installs the manufacturers drivers from the phone. Not all Android phones have the windows folders; just a few manfacturers. Quite a strange way to do things!!

ok removed sim and just did a factory reset on my sony phone, and erased everything so it's not got any accounts or anything else on it.

then on start up still without sim i run through language and choices etc until i get to main screen, then i go into settings and disable mobile data and connect to my wifi network.

now i try and go to google playstore to download the voip app i require of course it says i need to add a google account, after doing that i can then install a voip app and use the phone only by voip without putting any credit or even the sim in the phone.

didn't actually go that far and install a voip app though because i don't need any apps so don't even connect this phone to any accounts and just use it for texts and calls.

so thats how i'd guess you can use it without activation, once i insert my sim it restarts and again i need to run through some settings where i can choose things like use mobile and wifi or just wifi data options and location services etc. etc.

the sim in this phone though is on a free contract where i get 100 mins talk and 1000 sms a month free as part of my tv package so no idea what steps i would have gotten on the pay as you go sim, but i guess once activated you'd never need to put money on it again if only using voip also you'd have a telephone number so people could call you and probably tie that phone number to your voip app too.

The idea is that you install the phone manager software (for Sony it's called Companion or something) from the internet; connect your phone, generic windows driver load and the software launches. It then prompts to update drivers, the software accesses the Windows folder on the phone and installs the manufacturers drivers from the phone. Not all Android phones have the windows folders; just a few manfacturers. Quite a strange way to do things!!

i assume all that happens when connecting to a windows pc, seeing how i don't even have a windows pc or to be honest use any manufactures software or register an account with them, (even a google account) on my phones unless i need to then that's probably why i've never seen any windows related stuff on an android phone.

Either I'm missing something or I don't know, but there's no SIM card in this phone. Only a slot for microSD.

Unless I have to dismantle the whole thing to find a hidden SIM somewhere else.

Well looks like buying the phone was a waste of money, can't use it and never will be able to.

Can't even try to sell some of my old video games on craigslist to earn up some extra cash for airtime on the mobile phone.

They want to call or text some verification code crap. Well that's just great since I have NO access to any phone. Land line was cut off about 2 months ago since we have no money to pay the bill.

th_snapshot15_zpski46nd3i.png

sim location on that phone. :-

found this topic that says there is no sim in that phone, so just turn on airplane mode to turn off network and then turn on wifi and try. :- http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-series/321854-pre-paid-verison-lg-optimus-exceed-good-wifi-only.html

Edited by terry1966

Had to wait 20 minutes for that minute and a half video to play because it keeps stopping and buffering.

75 meg service from Comcast and it does nothing but buffer.... oh how I would love to drop a nice virus in their servers and have it shut down their whole company.

Where the hell is my smashing hammer... all this over priced garbage electronics needs a repair.

OK after a few hours of searching, found the following (short) video. It tells exactly how to back out of the setup wizard and get to the main desktop section where it's really easy to change settings and switch to wifi mode. Maybe this will be a help for someone else also.