Sign in to follow this  
freedom01

Dead Tablet?

Like I have mentioned, I am not familiar with Tablets and the one I bought my wife for her birthday Sept 20 went dead yesterday and we cannot get it to come back to life. I am bringing it back to Best Buy tomorrow being that it is still less than 30 days old so I hope they will be able to get it working short of replacing it.

Question.... is this a normal thing tablet dying so quickly? Is there something I can do to bring it back? Also if I can't get it to come back on, is there a way of removing information that my wife has stored on there? Thank you!

P.S. I do still have that cloning cable that I paid $40 for that I never go to use. Could I hook this up to the tablet USB port and retrieve files?

You never said what type of tablet this is. Really hard to help without some kind of make / model number.

Usually on an Android based device holding volume up, power and home button at the same time and keeping them pressed for 5 seconds will get you out of a dead tablet situation; for Sony Android devices just pressing in the volume rocker from the centre for a few seconds will recover it from a 'soft brick'.

Yes the transfer cable should work with the tablet and allow you to browse the file system etc.

Not sure if a complete factory reset would wipe personal folders. I would just take the thing back!

You never said what type of tablet this is. Really hard to help without some kind of make / model number.

Usually on an Android based device holding volume up, power and home button at the same time and keeping them pressed for 5 seconds will get you out of a dead tablet situation; for Sony Android devices just pressing in the volume rocker from the centre for a few seconds will recover it from a 'soft brick'.

Yes the transfer cable should work with the tablet and allow you to browse the file system etc.

Not sure if a complete factory reset would wipe personal folders. I would just take the thing back!

Sorry, like I said I know nothing about these things. From what I can gather it is a Digiland/DL801W

usually when a tablet is "dead" it's because the battery ran to low and i think putting it on a trickle charge (eg. from pc usb port) for 12hrs or so and then just holding in the power button for 20/30 seconds will bring it back to life if my memory serves.

:b33r:

Sorry, like I said I know nothing about these things. From what I can gather it is a Digiland/DL801W

Just had a look online. Seems it's a Windows tablet.

Read a few reviews and it seems to be a common fault with these tablets that after a couple of months they just die.

I wouldn't waste anytime on it and just take it back.

I didn't think it was going to be anything great being that I only spent $75 for it. My wife had it plugged in from the moment she took it out of the box. She never used it unless it was plugged into an outlet. I'm sure when I bring it back they will try and talk me into an upgrade. It was a Birthday present....Happy Birthday! lol

We'll see what happens. It's under 30 days any idea what Best Buy will do. Charge me for a new battery or junk it?

if it was always on charge the problem shouldn't be the battery running flat, unless the usb port is broken so it no longer charges.

no idea what best buy will do but i wouldn't accept anything but either an exchange for a new one or my money back so i could buy a different model tablet, no idea what other tablets are in that price range over there but think this might be another choice if you want windows :- http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Windows-Includes-Personal/dp/B00NSHLVD2/?tag=bestlaptop096-20

personally though i think you may be better doubling the price range and see what tablets are available then.

i'd probably look at getting one of these :- https://tablet.ninja/finding-the-best-tablets-under-200/

maybe this :- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2490181,00.asp

Edited by terry1966

Completley with Terry on this.

I delved into a few more reviews and people are complaining that they will only work when plugged in , battery won't charge, touch screen not picking up properly......

That Dell Venue is really funny. MSRP (Manufacture Suggested Retail Price) of $99 but the lowest price it's selling for is $179, which, is double what the manufacture suggests it sell for!! :rofl3:

Looks like a nice one though for a Windows tablet.

Best Buy has the HP Stream 8 on clearance now for $119 if you want to stick with a Windows based tablet. Just take back the Digiland one and let them know you would prefer to exchange it for a different model. You would most likely have to pay the $44 difference, but it would be a good deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-stream-8-5801-8-intel-atom-32gb-black/9978129.p?id=1219459039935&skuId=9978129

Best selling for Android is the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The Lenovo Tab 2 is also nice.

Alternately, there's of course the Apple iOS tablets (iPad) but they are higher priced.

And there's even the Amazon Fire line, which, are lower and average priced with nice features.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?browsedCategory=pcmcat209000050006&qp=brand_facet%3DBrand~Amazon&ks=960&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuidsaas&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All+Categories&type=page&id=pcat17071&iht=n&cp=1&nrp=15&st=categoryid%24pcmcat209000050006

Wow! That's great BH. Yes, my wife and I spoke and what we are thinking is trying to do an exchange for a upgrade. She would like to get the few things she put on there. Is there any way possible of getting items off?

Is there any way possible of getting items off?

no, unless you can get it to work again of course.

I wasn't to embarrassed! lol Went to best Buy today to return the Tablet and when they plugged it in and hit the power button it came right on. Please show me the way out...lol. Anyway they explained what happened, should not have had it plugged in the whole time it was being used. Suggested taking it home plugging it in for 3 hours and then unplug to use, but if anything happens with the next two weeks and it dies again bring it back for exchange. Sounds good to me and my wife.

Could I possibly discuss getting some help setting up a Smart TV? I start entering the requested information... Router, and then it gets to the Password and a keyboard pops up on the TV. How in the world am I suppose to type password (letters) with this keyboard when all the buttons on the remote are numbers?

You usually use the channel up/down and volume up/down buttons to move around the keyboard, then press enter or action button to select the highlighted letter.