VLC won't play MP3 files

JustinP526

The files will play just fine in Amarok, but I can't stand the lousy sound quality of Amarok.

Installed VLC player via yast, the latest version from Packman repo 2.2.1-289.2-x86_64

Kept saying something about incompatibilities, so I chose options to add needed files (lib files for blu ray by the looks of it)

Try to load .mp3 music files and it says VLC can not play mpga type files.

Did I goof something on the VLC player install?

th_snapshot1_zpswtrf7zkk.png

This is openSUSE 13.2 KDE

justin@linux:~> uname -a
Linux linux.site 3.16.7-24-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 3 14:37:06 UTC 2015 (ec183cc) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

KInfoCenter shows KDE 4.14.9

Looks about the same as yours.

th_snapshot3_zpsq8yo31zc.png

Should have the full Packman repo, but not really sure. Trying to load it up now and it keeps saying failed to load.

th_snapshot5_zpsm0lam1rx.png

Also having trouble with it installing F@H client

th_snapshot4_zpsngfyajfu.png

Had the same kind of trouble trying to install Google Chrome (forgot to get a screenshot and can't remember the problem) but I ended up installing Chromium instead and that works.

why have you got 3 yast windows open? your getting that error because there is another instance of yast open that is using the software manager and so therefore no other app can access it, you will sometimes get that message too if apper is running and checking/accessing the updates.

same thing applies when your trying to install fah, only 1 instance of yast software manager is allowed to access and make changes to the system at a time, that way things will never install conflicting apps/dependencies because another instance is installing something else and why only 1 instance is ever allowed to have control and every other instance will give you an access error message until the first one has finished doing what it's doing and closed thus freeing up access again for the next instance to use software manager. (bit of a ramble that but hope it made sense to you. :laughing: )

looks like you are about to install the vlc codecs too, top item in first screenshot with the green tick (means it's going to be installed.) so when you clicked accept and it got installed you shouldn't have any more problems with vlc playback of your mpga files.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Hmm, didn't think I had 3 open at the same time. I'll try installing fah again with everything closed off, but thought I had only Firefox and Apper open the first time. Just did what the directions said on folding site under Linux tips.

The other ones that show yast open twice, one is the first screen that comes up when you open yast control center. The other is the one that pops up when you click Software Management. Should the control center be closed before doing anything on the software management window?

Thought it had installed the vlc codecs, well I'll just try it again.

Should the time display always jump backwards by 5 hours every time I reboot? I have it set for automatically set time according to public time server. It detects that I'm located in central time USA but every reboot it rolls the time back by 5 hours.

Installed lmsensors as well, put a widget on the desktop for it to display system temps. Doesn't seem to let me change any settings though, looks like it's got 1 readout for CPU and 1 for graphics. The widget shows 30*F for graphics and 33*F for CPU at idle, but if I load it up in konsole it shows approx. the same numbers in *C

No idea about any of it, I know in BIOS it has been showing ~38*C for CPU and ~32*C for system.

installing fah.

one is the first screen that comes up when you open yast control center.

that ones fine to have open at any time because it's not using the software manager.

Apper open the first time.

if apper is using the software manager then you won't be able to install anything until it's finished.

Maybe click on "Versions" and get a non-beta? I went into YaST 2 see what I have and it's similar except for no "beta" in the ish. Drill down and a find a stable instead of beta? I really wish I could help better, Linux Pit is awesome, but I use Kaffeine rather than vlc. Good luck.

I got Kaffeine too, but it also wouldn't play mp3 files. Got it working now in VLC! Closed all running programs, loaded yast, software management and then the vlc-codecs that had green check mark right clicked on that and choose install. Not sure why it didn't install completely in the first place, but it's done now and playing mp3 files!!

I'll give Kaffeine a try and see if it plays now, other wise maybe it needs codecs installed too. Only problem I had with Amarok was the sound quality.. specifically, bass frequencies were not audible and changing the EQ settings did nothing. Rock and metal just don't sound so good when you can't hear the bass guitar nor half the drums. I know the speakers are not the problem, using Altec Lansing ADA885 which uses a powered 20cm (8") subwoofer with dual voice coils [it's in a vented enclosure with slot port tuned to 28Hz] definitely made for rockin' :ax:

Rock and metal, eh? Post some vids up in FNV. I dig the heavy ish.

installing fah.

that ones fine to have open at any time because it's not using the software manager.

if apper is using the software manager then you won't be able to install anything until it's finished.

First thing in a Linux install should be whacking Apper. Don't need an app running all the time looking for updates. zypper is cool for updates, or use YasT if u like that.

. Not sure why it didn't install completely in the first place, but it's done now and playing mp3 files!!

MP3 codecs are not open source and are proprietory so are not installed automatically that's why you have to install the Packman media repository to get the codec packs; and yep it's probably the same issue with Kaffiene.

If you need help with FaH let me know; I found it a pain to get up and running as you need to copy the folder it creates in the Python directory across to the more recent directories to get it to work.

Hei ystävä. (If that's not Finnish blame the translator.) :) Good to see you getting things working with Linux, Justin. It seemed like you were going to give up on the Penguin, but like I said, the Pit has the people to help you out. Big props to Nigel, Terry, and Bruce.
It is a pain to get Google Chrome, you need a public license key, but if you have Chromium it's just as good.
About repos: do you have libdvdcss repo? Terry told me about that one and now I can rock out in all glory to Nirvana at Reading 1992. Forget Amarok and Brasero, they suck. I play my CDs and DVDs in Kaffeine or VLC.

OK, peace, good to see all's well. Hail the Pit!

It is a pain to get Google Chrome, you need a public license key, but if you have Chromium it's just as good.

D/L the RPM; cd to your download folder, open a terminal session and run Sudo Zypper install Chromexxxx.rpm; you will get a message in terminal about missing public key; select the ignore option and Chrome will install.

Or as you said - Stick with chromium; although I did find I couldn't get hangouts pc client to work with chromium.

Cool, Nigel. I didn't know you could ignore the key. But yeah, I've got Chrome and it did take d/ling the rpm and needing to be installed with a terminal session. Chromium came straight through Yast. Just make sure you click to install the pepperflash and Yast does the rest for you.

The only problem I've had with browsers and flash so far is trying to play certain browser based games that want a certain version of flash player. Most problematic one is Forge of Empires, it won't go at all in Firefox since it wants flash player 11.7 or higher. Goes fine in Chromium so far and was working great in Chrome when the system was Windows 8.1

Even tried Konqueror and got the same problem as Firefox where it would say to install flash 11.7 or higher.

Aside from flash, is there a Linux equivalent for Silverlight? Guess that was standard on Win 8.1 but I can't watch some videos that require it. Mainly shows from Finland like the following (MTV Finland, not sure if there would be any nudity showing though... it's part of a prank show they do suihkurallissa means shower rally). There is another one that I can't post here because it's from another network and it has naked weather girl uncensored! :mrgreen:

http://www.mtv.fi/viihde/ohjelmat/posse/uutiset/artikkeli/video-jenni-dahlman-villissa-suihkurallissa-hildenin-paljas-peppu-saa-kyytia/5330364

No, don't think I have the libdvdcss repo. I see the following listed under yast -> software repositories

th_snapshot7_zpsobjvuyr7.png

I'll have to learn how to do screenshots better, don't know how that will look in the upload to photobucket. It comes out at 1600x900 since that's the native resolution for my monitor.. I'm using this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236315

Kinda wishing I would have gone with one that has HDMI input since the PC has an HDMI output. But it's still a nice monitor and uses 1/8 the power my old CRT one did!!

Kurt, yes that is good. I'm guessing google translate? It gets confused with Finnish especially, probably due to so many different Finnish words that mean the same thing! Or maybe because Finnish is one of the oldest languages in the world that hasn't really changed since it was first spoken thousands of years ago!

http://theculturetrip.com/asia/india/articles/the-10-oldest-languages-still-spoken-in-the-world-today/

If you're interested, here are some basic phrases in Finnish. Click the Finnish phrase in blue and it will play audio of how to say it!

http://www.speaklanguages.com/finnish/phrases/basic-phrases