Too hot?

I have searched and searched, but can't find any specification on max temperature for this A4-6300 APU. (A6, A8 and A10 all show a max of 70*C)

Only info I've found lately that helps much on this APU is this Newegg review:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?ReviewID=4097399

When folding started up it again found CPU and Radeon HD 8370D. Folds no problem on CPU, but nothing at all for GPU. I'm guessing that it's not possible due to the GPU is on the CPU die. No problem, I can put in a PCIe graphics card to fold on.

Was going to do a couple small upgrades, but then was told that doing so may void system warranty. Been told by CybertronPC that the proper installation of any component that does not damage the system will *not* void off the warranty. May check in to some small upgrades after all.

Here is the real concern as of now. I don't know how accurate the read outs are, but those temps are quite high!

th_runninghot_zpsrtmpm2v9.png

Yeah, stock CPU cooler doesn't really cut it. With folding set to full I get CPU temps that go up to 84*C but if I set folding to medium the temp stays at about 65* - 70*C depending if other programs are open as well or not. So I'll see about a better CPU cooler ASAP!

Probably see about a memory upgrade as well. 4GB doesn't go as far as it used to, especially when some is dedicated to onboard graphics.

I was told that running 2 sticks of RAM (which will fill up the board) should also cut the CPU temperature a bit. Something about dual channel mode is easier on CPU than single channel mode or something like that.

Justin,

I have an A6-6400K APU on an ASUS board. 4 GB DDR3-1600 RAM. (One stick. Board supports two sticks. Will upgrade sometime later.) Crunching SETI, (NVIDIA GPU ONLY), the APU/CPU still got up to 80 C while crunching... (CPU feeds GPU; so, it got hot.) Installed Hyper 212 EVO, and now the A6 hovers around 65 C.

This system is just over 1 year old, now. Is crunching well. I use Hardware Monitor to monitor system temps; and Precision X/16 to adjust fan speed on the GTX-760 as necessary. I HIGHLY recommend the Hyper 212 EVO.

btw, the MOBO Guns gave me, I'm using another Hyper 212 EVO on that; and the Core 2 Extreme CPU stays around 35 to 39 C while feeding a GTX-750 TI crunching SETI 15 Hours a day. If you can't water cool, then the 212 EVO just plain works wonders!!! :)

TL

Nice! A friend of mine was going to sell me that same APU (A6-6400K) for $15 but I passed on account of I thought it would void warranty on this system. Now he sold it to someone else and CybertronPC tells me that I could have changed it without worry of losing warranty. I have definitely been looking at that Hyper 212 EVO and seen it for a great price just about everywhere lately!

I do have an opportunity to pick up something else for $50 obo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113379

That would take it up to a quad core, double the L2 cache, slightly higher turbo speed and drop from 32nm to 28nm but also use 30 more watts. Oh and it would also drop "onboard" graphics so then the VGA and HDMI ports on the mobo would do nothing. Graphics would have to be via PCIe card only. I'm seeing lots of specs that say the A4-6300 I currently have supports up to DDR3-1600 at best. The A6 and up should allow up to DDR3-1866+ ... not sure about that Athlon X4. I'm told the APUs and CPUs that have a 'K' at the end of the model number means it has an unlocked multiplier, so that could be good too I guess.

This is the mobo that in my machine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130762

Downsides are NO USB 3.0 and it uses SATA 3 Gb/s NOT SATA 6 Gb/s but otherwise it is a nice board.

I do still have everything except for a case and GPU for other machine I had started building nearly 2 years ago. Got a friend who is willing to sell me 2 AMD GPUs with Crossfire bridges for $30. They are smaller cards.. I want to say Radeon HD 6850 or similar. I'm going to check them out and maybe take them, see if this will all work. Probably too expensive to even consider upgrading.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103251

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146108

Had a PhenomII X6 and 2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 to put on there, but that was stolen. Well I'm looking into a new residence and trying to raise up some funding for starting up my own business. I'm just fed up with being sent home from work all the time and not allowed back without a doctors note (more or less my fault due to having not been to doctor in nearly 20 years).. guess it is understandable though since I work in a factory that makes food products and everything is overseen by the USDA (yeah, like I would trust them). Even at $30/hr it's not worth the effort to go to work just to be sent home :mrsgreen:

Sorry this got so long.

Justin,

Check out the ASUS A58M-A. Board is Micro-ATX and has USB 3.0. Wasn't that expensive; and California is ALWAYS expensive compared to everywhere else... Since it's been over a year, I don't remember exactly what I paid for the board; but I'm guessing it was around $50. The A6-6400K wasn't that expensive, either. With all the preripherals, case, 212 EVO, labor and tax, the system came out to $960 and some change. (I could have saved on labor and built it myself; but, I haven't built a system in many years, and didn't feel comfortable doing it.)

TL

Well not sure how accurate Speccy readouts are, but with the machine sitting idle it shows CPU at 46*C and motherboard at 28*C

Speedfan kept showing temperatures at negative values, guess it doesn't play well with the Fintek super I/O chip on this board.

I'm looking into upgrading the RAM (4GB just isn't really enough any longer), should be able to order up a better CPU cooler at the same time. If I can swing it, maybe a couple more case fans and a better PSU also.

Been seeing quite a few ads posted on Craigslist lately for these APU machines. Couple days ago I seen someone selling an A6-6400K for $20. There is currently 2 or 3 Gigabyte FM2+ mobos posted, one of which is part of a bundle with an APU and RAM all for $100.

I see the Hyper 212 EVO at newegg for $30 right now, may see about putting a couple on order!