Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim

windows 10 upgrade

Guest Jim

Does any one know how to upgrade for windows 10? It doesn't let some of my windows programs (solite) run.

How to Upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-from-within-windows/21b5cd8a-d96d-4cda-a9aa-7d936a9a0b88

You should back up all your docs/pics/media files and remove your antivirus before you get the upgrade, of course continue to use you antivirus until you are ready to upgrade. If you do not want to wait for Microsoft to deliver the upgrade, you can get the Media Creation Tool and Upgrade using that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Research your third party software to see if there will be any conflicts with Upgrading to 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/program-compatibility-assistant-faq#1TC=windows-7

There is already a known problem if you have Nvidia graphics

Here's the list of what's being taken away with the Windows 10 upgrade. Many of the items on this list will affect Windows 7 owners only

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" and "Microsoft Minesweeper."

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-will-remove-some-features-and-apps-upgrading-windows-7-and-windows-81

your not the only one with problems caused by the win 10 update and i can't find a definite solution for your solitaire problem but this is the best answer i could find, so hope it solves your problem.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

1. DISM TOOL:

1. On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)

2. Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”

For more information about DISM click on the link below: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

b. System File Checker (SFC) Scan:
  1. Press Windows Key and type “cmd”. Right-Click on the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

2. Type “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter.

3. Exit Command Prompt.

For more information about SFC Scan click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Please reply with the results.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/interplay-solitaire-deluxe-not-working-after-win10/6a72e1f4-3951-4461-90c7-c4592034cbf4

:b33r:

September 5 I plan on upgrading from my Windows 8.1 to 10 and I am hoping all goes well. I read where I should uninstall the Start Button I added to my system and I also just read where you posted above to remove present Ant-Virus. Should I uninstall Windows Defender just before upgrading to 10? Also, I thought that files would be saved during upgrade. Is back up a precautionary method just in case?

Thank you!

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. The only problem I had was that windows update failed twice to upgrade. I finally got it to upgrade by forceing windows update through the cmd. prompt. A procedure for this was posted on the Microsoft Community website. I forget the details but it worked. I do miss my solitaire. Some older games I have that worked in compatability mode with Windows 7 Ultimate do not work in windows 10. I tried all the compatability modes and none work. the microsoft site says the game is compatible, its not. One game some of you may be familiar with- sim cities 4 deluxe.

Is back up a precautionary method just in case?

always make a backup image of your hard drive before making any major changes to your pc, that way if things go wrong you can put the image back onto your drive with your old os, all programs and data there and working again and be in the exact same position you were in before doing the upgrade.

minimum you want to backup is all your data files as long as you have a way of reinstalling the old os and all programs you use.

never rely on an upgrades ability to backup things, do it yourself manually!!

Yes, that makes sense. It's funny I back up everything for my wife, but when it comes to me I figure I will take the loss. I have an old computer here with Windows 95 I don't suppose there's any way of removing files from this Hard Drive? Could I convert it with a convertor and just view it on let's say a Vista OS or would it not be compatible? Thank you!

P.S. I will be backing up before I upgrade to 10.

I have an old computer here with Windows 95 I don't suppose there's any way of removing files from this Hard Drive? Could I convert it with a convertor and just view it on let's say a Vista OS or would it not be compatible? Thank you!

lots of ways i should think, including running the complete win95 os in a virtual machine on a newer computer and os.

what sort of files are you talking about?

I honestly don't think you can run '95 on any motherboards that they make today, or even from the past couple of years. The drivers simply are not there for '95 to run even in a vm. I'd be surprised if you could get XP to work on any newer boards they make today

Edited on 8/22 to clarify my post

Edited by Joe C

I honestly don't think you can run '95 on any motherboards that they make today, or even from the past couple of years. The drivers simply are not there for '95 to run even in a vm. I'd be surprised if you could get XP to work on any newer boards they make today

I got XP and ME running in VM on a brand new board and AMD Black FX processor; no issues; win95 that might be a challenge though!!

type of motherboards make no difference, because it is running in a software environment, you can run more or less any os in a virtual environment including dos and win95/98 etc.

the only time the motherboards come into the equation is for the host os running on the machine, they need the correct drivers to work with the hardware and not any client os running in the vm.

more about how virtual machines work here :- http://www.extremetech.com/computing/72186-virtual-machines-vmware-part-i

another option might be an emulator like dosbox to run win95 in :- http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3120&letter=W

not sure if dosbox is still supported or if there are any other/better emulators out there.

Edited by terry1966

The drivers simply are not there for '95 to run even in a vm.

Edited on 8/22 to clarify my post

even with your edit joe, i think your still missing the point, or not correctly understanding how these things work.

did you read the link on how vm's work?

new motherboard with no win 95 drivers for chipset etc.,

install win 10 with drivers for new motherboard.

everything works.

now when you install software to create the vm's like vmware or virtualbox, it is this software that communicates with win 10 and the hardware and not any client os running in the vm, therefore win 95 doesn't need drivers that work with the new motherboard or any of it's hardware because it never communicates directly with the hardware, which is what hardware drivers are needed for in the first place.

for example the vmware can pretend to have a floppy drive, win 95 will send the correct instructions to read/write to a floppy drive using the correct hardware drivers for a floppy drive, but vmware will catch those instructions, understand what win 95 is trying to do and then send it's own instructions to win 10 to carry out what win 95 intended and thinks is happening but is not in reality and just read/write to a file on the hard drive.

another example is the client os may only be able to use a screen resolution of 800x600 with 16bit colour, so vmware will pretend to be using 800x600 to that vm os but in fact be using 1920x1080 and 32bit colours on the actual monitor, and this is possible because even though the os thinks it's talking directly to the hardware it in fact is not, and it is the host os using it's drivers that is talking directly to the hardware.

hope that clears up why it makes no difference what hardware is used and if the client os has correct drivers for it to work natively, by natively i mean installed as a host os and needing the capability to talk directly to the hardware, which of course it won't be able to do, but because it doesn't talk directly to the hardware it can be run on any hardware where there are no drivers for it in a vm.

Edited by terry1966

Just put my files on Flash Drive and getting ready to upgrade to 10. Should I remove my Start button? I was thinking on going to MS site to get the link for the upgrade. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

I placed almost everything I wanted to protect, but I am missing my Bookmark links. Is there a way of adding this to the Flash Drive? I was thinking about dragging, but did not look like it would work.

Edited by freedom01