Change Mode

Windows 10 Safe Mode

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft did not listen to the tens of thousands of us who kept pestering them throughout the previous builds to give us back a means to access Safe Mode without having to access a working operating system first. Using F8 at boot up is very helpful when trouble-shooting and repairing a windows rig.

There is still a way to enable it though.

The 'F8' method can be "tweaked" to function by editing the bcdedit menu.

• Use the keyboard shortcut Winkey+X to open the Quick Access menu
  • In the Quick Access menu, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”
  • Say “Yes” to the UAC challenge
  • A command window will open
  • Enter this command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Note that there are curly brackets around the parameter “default”, not the usual parentheses.

A message will appear “The operation completed successfully”.
Now the method using the F8 key will work again.

To undo the change, enter the command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

http://www.windows10...de-boot-menu.8/

In the past we usually would start tapping F8 right after the BIOS splash screen. With Windows 10, start the F8 tap before the BIOS splash.

:) Y

I don't believe it matters nigsy.

I used the Windows 8 workaround on an older lappy with legacy BIOS here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/204078-windows-8-81-safe-mode/

and it works.

The ASUS R510c lappy that I am running Windows 10 on currently has the UEFI BIOS and it is working properly with the above bcdedit settings in place.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft did not listen to the tens of thousands of us who kept pestering them throughout the previous builds to give us back a means to access Safe Mode without having to access a working operating system first. Using F8 at boot up is very helpful when trouble-shooting and repairing a windows rig.

There is still a way to enable it though.

The 'F8' method can be "tweaked" to function by editing the bcdedit menu.

• Use the keyboard shortcut Winkey+X to open the Quick Access menu
  • In the Quick Access menu, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”
  • Say “Yes” to the UAC challenge
  • A command window will open
  • Enter this command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Note that there are curly brackets around the parameter “default”, not the usual parentheses.

A message will appear “The operation completed successfully”.

Now the method using the F8 key will work again.

To undo the change, enter the command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

http://www.windows10...de-boot-menu.8/

In the past we usually would start tapping F8 right after the BIOS splash screen. With Windows 10, start the F8 tap before the BIOS splash.

Will this method work in Win 7 as well??? I have found recently that Win 7, also, will NOT boot to Safe Mode using F8.

TL

EDIT:

Just tried it in my Win 7 Pro x64 OS, and it DOES NOT work... Did some research and found that this same command works for Win 8/8.1; but, for Win 7 we all must use "msconfig.exe" in normal mode and select Safe Mode properties there, and then reboot into Safe Mode... Once in Safe Mode, and finished doing what needs to be done, you must then run "msconfig.exe" again and deselect the Safe Mode options and reboot back to normal mode.

VERY disappointing... :(

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

F5 may work as an alternative to using F8 on some XP, Vista and Windows 7 rigs.

The trick above won't work as you discovered, because 7 is already using the Legacy standard.

For those tough ones, msconfig is good, but again, you'll need to be able to boot into the OS to get it set up, rather than being able to get to SafeMode from the outside of the OS.

F5 may work as an alternative to using F8 on some XP, Vista and Windows 7 rigs.

The trick above won't work as you discovered, because 7 is already using the Legacy standard.

Fot those tough ones, msconfig is good, but again, you'll need to be able to boot into the OS to get it set up, rather than being able to get to SafeMode from the outside of the OS.

Nope, no luck with F5; either, system ignores it and boots to main login. There seems to be NO WAY to manually boot to Safe Mode in Win 7 x64. I assume that if there were a problem with normal boot that the system might then give the option of booting to Safe Mode; but, since all three of our Win 7 systems are fine, I have no way to confirm this.

TL

Nope, no luck with F5; either, system ignores it

that surprises me with win 7, do any keys work before windows gets to boot? for instance can you get into bios? if not then i'd gues your using a usb keyboard and the bios setting for usb devices is disabled so you'd need to use a ps2 keyboard go into bios and change that setting before things worked with the usb keyboard.

either that or maybe your win 7 bootloader needs to be repaired so the advanced menu options show up when either f8 or f5 are held down/tapped on boot, also might try all f keys one at a time for each start up and see if any one works and offers you the menu.

:b33r:

that surprises me with win 7, do any keys work before windows gets to boot? for instance can you get into bios? if not then i'd gues your using a usb keyboard and the bios setting for usb devices is disabled so you'd need to use a ps2 keyboard go into bios and change that setting before things worked with the usb keyboard.

either that or maybe your win 7 bootloader needs to be repaired so the advanced menu options show up when either f8 or f5 are held down/tapped on boot, also might try all f keys one at a time for each start up and see if any one works and offers you the menu.

I CAN get into the BIOS... NO Safe Mode exists.... Unless I force it with msconfig.exe.

TL

EDIT: Two of the three Win 7 systems are HP; so, it could be that HP has had MS disable getting into Safe Mode, BUT I doubt it. The third Win 7 system is Guns' old Core 2 Extreme on Gigabyte MOBO. The two HPs are Win 7 Home Premium x64, and Prometheus, (Guns' old system), is Win 7 Pro x64.

EDIT 2: Just tried rebooting Prometheus. Hit F5, and it worked. From there I hit F8 for Advanced Options, and got the Safe Mode Boot Menu. So, one system out of three works. Don't know why the HPs have Safe Mode Booting disabled.

EDIT 3: FINALLY!!!!! :) Did more research on HP and booting to Safe Mode in Win 7... IMMEDIATELY after hitting Power to turn on the system, hit F8 repeatedly, (before BIOS screen shows; and all through the BIOS screen), until the Boot Menu appears. Top of the list is Repair system, further down is Boot to Safe Mode... If you miss hitting F8 right after the Power button has been hit to turn the system on, FORGET IT, the system will boot normally to the Win 7 Login Prompt.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

Don't know why the HPs have Safe Mode Booting disabled.

like i said it's unusual with win 7 in my experience, you sure hp just don't use a different f key to get the options menu?

have known some pc's in the past to use a different f key even though f5 and f8 are the usual, even says so on the hp site :- http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01857654

personally i would think i had a problem with my boot loader/manager if i couldn't get into safe mode without first going into windows 7 os.

see if anything here explains the process and helps you figure out how to get safe mode working without first needing to go into the os, because lets be honest if you have problems and can't boot into the os for one reason or another then safe mode is useless instead of being just the thing you needed to use for a quick fix. :- http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/use-the-f5-menu-to-troubleshoot-your-pc.html

like i said it's unusual with win 7 in my experience, you sure hp just don't use a different f key to get the options menu?

have known some pc's in the past to use a different f key even though f5 and f8 are the usual, even says so on the hp site :- http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01857654

personally i would think i had a problem with my boot loader/manager if i couldn't get into safe mode without first going into windows 7 os.

see if anything here explains the process and helps you figure out how to get safe mode working without first needing to go into the os, because lets be honest if you have problems and can't boot into the os for one reason or another then safe mode is useless instead of being just the thing you needed to use for a quick fix. :- http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/use-the-f5-menu-to-troubleshoot-your-pc.html

SEE EDIT 3 In last post... Got it to work!!! Very finicky though... ;)

TL

:clap:

try hitting power button and then just holding down the f8 key, you may find it works more reliably than the tapping action which we always tell people to use, or hold down f8 then hit the power button. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966