Change Mode

Upgrading... win 10? and an error I have gotten more than 1x....

I've been trying to read reviews, but my mind is so very distracted right now and I also need a nap, lol. Has anyone here checked to see if there is compatibility between win10 and all the folding stuff? Any opinions on anything else Win10

Still need to figure this out .....
The error I get is a pop up box with FahCore_21.ext - Entry Point Not Found in the top blue border.
the white box message is:

"The procedure entry point clRetainDevice could not be located in the dynamic Link library OpenCL.dll."

It continuously pops up over the top of everything I try and do. I've stopped all folding since I don't know which one has a problem

3rd question... I have to re-log on every time I come in here... which caused me a problem for quite a while with fighting with LastPass.... Now that the problem with laspass is sorted out, I probably won't have problems "getting in" ... but wonder why the re-log in is happening. New safety feature?

Thank you for any help or enlightenment anyone can give. Sorry to mulitple-post but I'm a little cray cray these days.

Edited by dianamite

I haven't upgraded to 10, yet. I'm waiting until December. Many of us in Number Crunching at SETI@Home are discussing Win 10 in a Thread titled "Win 10 Yea or Nay"... Therein, several Setizens have made the upgrade and reported their results. Some were happy and some performed the "Rollback" from 10 to 7. Apparently, the rollback feature can take at least two hours to perform; but, does restore the system fully to Win 7. Many reboots occur during rollback; so, don't worry about that, if you choose to do the rollback.

As for conflicts with F@H; I hadn't heard anything about this. BOINC works flawlessly with Win 10. Most of the Setizens who upgraded reported no trouble with BOINC and SETI running after upgrading from Win 7. One Setizen said he'd made a change in "msconfig" as to how BOINC starts with Windows, and that after upgrading to 10 that his BOINC wouldn't auto start at login anymore. So, it's NOT recommended to make changes in "msconfig" prior to upgrading to 10.

Also, don't know why you're having trouble logging in here. Hopefully, someone who's also upgraded to 10 and has more knowledge will post soon.

Good luck,

TL

Thanks TimeLord :) At least I know it is not a scary monster, lol. I don't usually upgrade to a new system for a year so they get it all worked out, but 10 looks so intriguing.

Keep me posted if there are any problems that pop up re: FAH... whoever upgrades. Thank you in advance.

The sign in thing is just strange. I'll learn to live with it I guess, lol.

Thanks TimeLord :) At least I know it is not a scary monster, lol. I don't usually upgrade to a new system for a year so they get it all worked out, but 10 looks so intriguing.

Keep me posted if there are any problems that pop up re: FAH... whoever upgrades. Thank you in advance.

The sign in thing is just strange. I'll learn to live with it I guess, lol.

Also, forgot to mention, ALWAYS choose "Custom" on installation of 10; NEVER choose "Express"... If you choose "Express" then it turns ALL features on by Default... MOST of the features are security hazards; and, you will need to manually find each security hole and turn off the "feature" so as to NOT inhibit your privacy.

If you're NOT familiar enough with 10 to manually hunt down everything that needs to be turned off; then, I'd perform a "Rollback" to WIn 7 now. Once back on 7, you will still see the "Get Win 10" icon in the tray, and you can use that to restart the upgrade to 10 - this time choosing "Custom" and turning off all the negative security items.

TL

• 1 month later...

Bad news and good news...

Bad news: Dad's HP Laptop fan died - AGAIN. At $139 each time this happens, this was going to get costly

Good news: Bought new ASUS Laptop which had Win 8 on it. Had to upgrade to 8.1, and then upgrade to 10. Both upgrades went smoothly. Once on 10, 10 told us it was 10 Home; which meant that 8 and 8.1 were Home Premium, but didn't state in properties. So, after upgrading free to 10 Home, we paid the additional $99 to upgrade to 10 Pro. This upgrade also went smoothly.

We've had the Win 10 laptop now for a week. I installed a third party app by O&O Security software which enabled me to tighten down the Anti-Privacy issues in Win 10.

ASUS Laptop: $300

MS Office Home and Business 2013: $193.99

Upgrade to 10 Pro from free 10 Home: $99

System has a DVD RW, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, and an Intel i3, and a 15" screen. Also has HDMI out, VGA out, and two USB Ports. One USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0

Compared to the original HP Laptop at $800 + from 2.5 years ago, we got a pretty good deal. The only thing I'm NOT thrilled about is that the ASUS is only an i3 CPU; however, dad in his work only uses text, e-Mail, and creating and printing PDFs. So, the i3 still works well for him.

Originally out of the box, the unit booted slowly; but, after getting 8.1 on things sped up quite a bit. 10 kept the speed increase; so, in less than 30 seconds, it boots from dead cold to login screen.

In close, 10 is NOT to be feared. The upgrade is smooth and works. The Desktop is GREATLY improved over 8/8.1. It is much like Win 7.

$139 for a fan? :yikes:

What model laptop is it? I bet there's a cheaper fan for it somewhere. I had to get a whole new CPU cooler for a Dell laptop that I replaced the motherboard. Original board had only Intel graphics, the replacement added an nVidia GeForce (8400m) graphics chip, so had to hunt down an upgraded CPU cooler to add coverage to the nVidia chip. The whole CPU cooler was only $6 with free shipping. I spent an extra buck or 2 on a copper shim to make sure the cooler actually made contact with the chip (that was a problem with the original design causing for lots of dead boards with fried out nVidia chips). Took off the stock cooling pads they use as "thermal compound" and just used Arctic Silver 5. All runs well and nice stable temps!

I've been debating on buying this one for myself if I go back to school next semester (hope it shows up, sometimes the page loads up just saying no longer available. guess it's a good selling laptop)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-amd-a10-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-gray/4882013.p?id=1219644187138&skuId=4882013

$139 for a fan? :yikes:

What model laptop is it? I bet there's a cheaper fan for it somewhere. I had to get a whole new CPU cooler for a Dell laptop that I replaced the motherboard. Original board had only Intel graphics, the replacement added an nVidia GeForce (8400m) graphics chip, so had to hunt down an upgraded CPU cooler to add coverage to the nVidia chip. The whole CPU cooler was only $6 with free shipping. I spent an extra buck or 2 on a copper shim to make sure the cooler actually made contact with the chip (that was a problem with the original design causing for lots of dead boards with fried out nVidia chips). Took off the stock cooling pads they use as "thermal compound" and just used Arctic Silver 5. All runs well and nice stable temps!

I've been debating on buying this one for myself if I go back to school next semester (hope it shows up, sometimes the page loads up just saying no longer available. guess it's a good selling laptop)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-amd-a10-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-gray/4882013.p?id=1219644187138&skuId=4882013

The HP is model DV7. It had issues coming out of the box, new. The right side USB ports were dead in box. The unit constantly Blue Screened. Had to send it in to HP. I believe they changed the MOBO under warranty, and as a precaution, changed the RAM to help cure the Blue Screening. Once all this was done, the laptop went to just shy of it's two year mark when the first fan died. The $139 includes labor; the part could be $6; but, they don't break that out in the receipt, nor the work order. The second fan died 8 months after the first. So, we didn't feel like spending another $139 to fix a fan; when we could just get a BETTER computer that was also cheaper.

Only thing I don't like about this ASUS model is that it is completely sealed. No battery access, no memory access, no hard drive accesss. So, to get at these, one MUST take out ALL the screws on the bottom of the case and disassemble the entire laptop. NOT even the keyboard can be dismounted without taking the entire laptop apart. BUT, for $300 it seems to be working.

TL

Something like that I would get from eBay, especially if the warranty is up on the laptop.

Looks like $20 is highest price. Not sure if that's the exact one you would need though, there's different models of the dv7.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=hp%20dv7%20cpu%20cooler&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Here's a few very good, detailed step by step tutorials on how to pull it apart (re-assemble by following the steps from bottom of page back up). Maybe yours is one these.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/?s=hp+pavilion+dv7

Think they show one there of the HP ENVY, kind of pointless if you ask me. The ENVY models can't have any upgrades and servicing needs to be done in the shop since everything (CPU, RAM.. literally everything) is soldered to the mobo!

There's Asus ones too!

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/2-asus-laptops/

By the way, sorry if gotten a bit off topic here :mrgreen:

Something like that I would get from eBay, especially if the warranty is up on the laptop.

Looks like $20 is highest price. Not sure if that's the exact one you would need though, there's different models of the dv7.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=hp%20dv7%20cpu%20cooler&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Here's a few very good, detailed step by step tutorials on how to pull it apart (re-assemble by following the steps from bottom of page back up). Maybe yours is one these.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/?s=hp+pavilion+dv7

Think they show one there of the HP ENVY, kind of pointless if you ask me. The ENVY models can't have any upgrades and servicing needs to be done in the shop since everything (CPU, RAM.. literally everything) is soldered to the mobo!

There's Asus ones too!

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/2-asus-laptops/

By the way, sorry if gotten a bit off topic here :mrgreen:

Thanks for the links; however, I don't have the tools, knowledge, nor patience to work on a laptop, even for just a fan. It's worth more to me in time and headaches to spend the $139 to fix it and get it back in a couple days' time.

I've stripped the RAM out; simple task, comandeered the hard drive, put it into an external case, and retrieved dad's data - now moved to the ASUS, and the rest, as far as I'm concerned is scrap. However; dad doesn't want me formatting the entire drive just yet. When he gives me the OK to do so, my plan is to connect the external case to the USB port on our Linksys router and make the drive a Network drive for ALL of our computers to share. I already tested the connection, and the drive shows up on every computer we have; so, it might be nice to have a 1 TB shared drive over our personal Network.

TL