Sign in to follow this  
Humbluemoon

Windows 10

I've been running it for a few days now and must say it is working well on my set up. Even Cortana is starting to show promise as "she" learns* what I like :clap:.​

How is your experience with it going?

wouldn't let that malware m$ likes to call windows 10 anywhere near my machines, even in a vm..

just in case you didn't already know here's another "feature" you might like to check into and disable on your windows 10 os.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

seems m$ now thinks it can use every windows 10 pc as a torrent seeder by default to spread it's updates.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

I like the new WUDO system, heaven knows Microsoft needed to do something to help their update system along.
It's easy enough to change the settings to just just your local network if you wish (my personal choice), or to turn it off and stick with the traditional method.
For those of us who have a server or computer(s) up and running 24/7, it's a nice benefit to have the capability utilized.

The OS runs smooth, sure boots up quickly and is easy to personalize in it's settings and user interface.

I'm still disappointed that Microsoft did not listen to the tens of thousands of us who kept pestering them throughout the previous builds to give us back a means to access Safe Mode without having to access a working operating system first.

There is still a way to enable it though.

The 'F8' method can be "tweaked" to function by editing the bcdedit menu.

• Use the keyboard shortcut Winkey+X to open the Quick Access menu
  • In the Quick Access menu, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”
  • Say “Yes” to the UAC challenge
  • A command window will open
  • Enter this command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Note that there are curly brackets around the parameter “default”, not the usual parentheses.

A message will appear “The operation completed successfully”.
Now the method using the F8 key will work again.

To undo the change, enter the command: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/

In the past we usually would start tapping F8 right after the BIOS splash screen. With Windows 10, start the F8 tap before the BIOS splash.

:) Y

Good info and advice. I have used your f8 tweek Y and also have set wudo to my network only. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Humbluemoon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

seems m$ now thinks it can use every windows 10 pc as a torrent seeder by default to spread it's updates.

Sounds like a Virus / Malware writters dream; inject your code into one system and piggy back WUDO to spread to every w10 device on the newtwork .

I have an issue with 10 and it's privacy for the users.

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

When you install 10, it would be in your best interest to disable anything that you are not comfortable with

Let apps use my advertising ID

This helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in apps.

Send Microsoft info about how I write

This feature improves text completion suggestions when you handwrite or type

Getting to Know You.

This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana

Cloud Info

Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately

This, coupled with the “Send Microsoft info about how I write” setting mentioned earlier, is the biggest privacy concern in Windows 10, primarily because the language is so vague

There's more on the URL I posted, and what you need to do to disable these features

I've seen peeps creating bat files to edit the registry in order to remove telemitry and everything that is associated with it but I think it's too early to implement it on any pc's just yet

Edited by Joe C

If I'm not on any network, but just a single home with 3 unconnected to each other pc's, does this affect me at all?

If I'm not on any network, but just a single home with 3 unconnected to each other pc's, does this affect me at all?

If these pc are on the internet, then you are uploading updates and letting M$ steal your bandwidth. Enabling that your on a metered internet will prevent this

Edited by Joe C

How do I enable metered internet. That term is bran new to this old dog. I'm putting off the upgrade to win10 as long as I can.

I use Ethernet connections for all 3 pc's, so does this mean I have no option? Or, does it mean I am not affected by anything.

Also I will not be using any Cloud stuff, nor Cortana.

"Please note that Ethernet networks can’t be set as metered connections. You will need to have a wireless connection to set it as a metered connection."

yup.... my bad.

This is more aimed at windows 10.....

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

Using a BitTorrent type of application might be an advantage to some for updates....but that means putting your trust in M$ that there won't be a flaw in the near future, and if your concerned about M$ using your bandwidth without asking first

Edited by Joe C

How do I turn Delivery Optimization off?

Here’s how:

1. Go to Start 851aefc6-d9e7-41b6-a160-2a5e45499b33_17., then Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and then select Advanced options.
  2. On the Advanced options page, select Choose how updates are delivered, and then use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off. When turned off, you'll still get updates and apps from Windows Update and from the Windows Store.

If you’d just like to stop downloading updates and apps from PCs on the Internet, select PCs on my local network.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

it will still share updates with your 3 pc's on your local network though and there's nothing you can do about that unless someone decides to tweak the registry and stop automatic updates probably.

oops joe beat me to it. :mrgreen:

here's an install guide to follow showing how to switch off most things like cortina when you decide to install win 10. :- http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Edited by terry1966

I have no idea what BitTorrrent is, and If I struggle along without it, I don't really need to know. I mad a favorite of your link and when I finally get win10, I'll review it.

But, I restate that my 3 pc's are not linked to each other and I do updating on the 2 pcs (not used very much) when I know my grandkids will be coming to play games on then. Otherwise I just use one pc

So, do I really have any worry's about Microsoft stealing bandwith?

Edited by rgsmile

bittorrent is a program that sends and receives data to any and every pc that also has the software installed, so it uses both your upload and download parts of your internet connection.

in fact it is a program that is frowned upon by a lot of the computer industry because it is used mostly to share pirated software like games, music and films.

now seeing how a similar mechanism is now part of win 10 by default that means every win 10 pc will be doing exactly the same thing bittorrent does for the people who use it.

personally i have nothing against these type of programs because they can be very useful and i've used them lots in the past to get my linux distributions quicker, but that was a choice i could make on how to get my software and what mechanisms it should use, win 10 takes that choice out of your hands by default, it really doesn't help anyone except m$ and will probably save them millions if not billions of dollars over time because they need to buy less bandwidth of their own to supply their customers.

even though you say your 3 pc's are not linked, they are all on the same network so win 10 WILL share updates and stuff between the 3 unless you turn off the correct setting, same thing applies for m$ using your bandwidth when you install win 10.

sharing updates between your pc's though doesn't use more of your bandwidth and will probably save you some because the update will only need to be downloaded once to a single pc and then shared with the other 2 instead of each pc needing to download the same update.

hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Edited by terry1966

if you have a DSL or dial up connection, Then it could be an issue.

But if your on a hi speed cable connection then it's up to you if you want to upload updates to your neighbors

not true joe, it is always an issue regardless of if you have a high speed connection or not depending on it's settings, you can easily saturate your upload speed and when that happens i can promise you your internet will come to a crawl and you can forget about watching a streamed film or something because it will always be buffering.

terry, I stated that it would be up to rgsmile. I do not know his internet connection speed or what he does on line as far as watching video's or whatever.

Personally it might not be an issue for me:

4576998122.png

I'm not using 10 on my personal pc but my grandson's pc is, I do have everything disabled but I still see the routers lights blinking an awful lot

Edited by Joe C

Since I use DSL on my pc's and the other 2 pc's are just used every other weekend and are completely shut down right from the surge protector ( and the Ethernet is removed from router.), don't you agree that when I install win10, I should have minor bandwidth problems? And I will use the custom install to avoid unwanted things, using the different link-guides you have all provided.

joe i doubt it will be an issue for anyone because i'm sure m$ have made sure it's settings only use a small amount of anyone's bandwidth by first checking what they have and limiting the connections and speed to a lowish figure like 50% of someone's upload speed, but if those settings weren't set correctly and it could use whatever upload speed/bandwidth that was requested even with your very good speeds (your upload is nearly as fast as my download. :laughing: ) i promise you, your internet would be at a crawl in no time whatsoever.

don't forget this will be running every second your pc is turned on and capable of data sharing with every pc in the world running win 10.

rgsmile if i were you i'd follow joes link and make sure sharing was turned off except for your own pc's and then not worry about it, because it won't be using your bandwidth then every time the pc was turned on. link again :- http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

not forgetting of course to do the custom install, when you do decide to install win 10 and turn off all the other privacy issue settings.

Edited by terry1966

terry, I stated that it would be up to rgsmile. I do not know his internet connection speed or what he does on line as far as watching video's or whatever.

Personally it might not be an issue for me:

4576998122.png

I'm not using 10 on my personal pc but my grandson's pc is, I do have everything disabled but I still see the routers lights blinking an awful lot

you're bragging (and I don't blame you :drool: )

should add if you run your own data/file/media servers then this "feature" of win 10 will effect the speeds of those too because it will be stealing the bandwidth usually used on those which in turn could slow your internet use to a crawl.

I've installed/upgraded of several pc's with 10 on my own network and so far, I can not tell if there's any slow down on the internet.

There are some folks like I mentioned earlier that are disabling telemitry that prevents M$'s spying practices, but if you use this I would recommend that you do it with extreme caution:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/63677-The-Ultimate-Windows-10-Telemetry-Destroyer!-With-a-Batch-and-PS-script!

This program helps to remove all the telemetry that your machine sends to Microsoft. It also gives extra options such as removing selected apps, cleaning up hosts file, enable/disable UAC, etc.

As time goes on, I'm sure some one will come up with a more stable version of something like that

Edited by Joe C