Change Mode

Back up and folding

nigsy

Back down again!!

Did something silly with a command in Linux and seems to have wiped everything and now can't get a clean version of SUSE to re install.

Be back soon.

Guess you should go fooling around in terminal as root user!!

Lesson learn't.

Can't get SUSE to re-install and I'm also trying to recover the data I wiped; my back up drive was connected when I executed the command and the whole lot has gone; for fun a giggles I am now running on XP - An old OEM disc I had lying around. Gonna be down another week I reckon.

what command did you use? rm -r * :laughing:

i'm surprised at you nigsy, thought you'd know better, but like you say live and learn, best thing i've found for recovering my wiped data is photorec but there are other programs out there that may be easier to use with a gui.

curious why suse won't re-install though, you trying it from a backup or an iso image either live or full version on a usb stick or cd/dvd?

:b33r:

what command did you use? rm -r * :laughing:

:yup:

Thought as I was cd'd into a directory it would only wipe that. :facepalm:

Reason it won't install is a video driver issue; I can get around that now by adding a line to the EFI loader. Got my backup drive hooked up to windows and running recuva; to see if it does anything; if not I'll install openSUSE on my ssd mount the other drive that used to be my /home partition and see if photorec will work (I have seen this mentioned on the SUSE forums).

Thought as I was cd'd into a directory it would only wipe that. :facepalm:

far as i'm aware it should only delete what's in the directory/folder your in, it's when the command is rm -r /* that it will destroy everything regardless of what directory your in and why i thought you must have just been in roots folder and used rm -r *

not that i've tried it myself tho, i've never needed to remove the contents of a complete folder using the rm command.

glad you found the install problem and can get it installed when needed tho.

as to photorec i do believe there is a windows version available also you can always run it from a suse live cd/usb so as not to touch your hard drives until you've found everything you want.

recurva should do you fine tho and find everything you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Photorec is the Dogs B****xs; it's quite frightening how much stuff never gets deleted and the amount of things your PC stores over the years you don't even know about!! I have 3500 folders of recovered files about 600gb to plow through to see what been recovered.

Anyhow; Clean SUSE instal & FAH now back up and running. :tup: