Data Fragmentation 45%

I have windows 7 professional 64 bit, I have run windows disk defragmenter twice and also have run Perfect Disk defragmenter twice both show 0% defragmentation, and PCMatic disk defragmenter.

However, when I run comprehensive free scan it returns that my pc is in the top 4%, but has data fragmentation 45%.

Please help me with this, I do not understand how after running 3 different defragmenters how I could have data fragmentation of 45%?

from my own experience...

Defragging a hard drive does not defrag whatever is being held in restore points. If you have a large percentage of your drive dedicated to restore points and multiple restore points the overdrive test will reflect a high fragmentation.

If you are comfortable with the status of your system you could delete all but the most recent restore point, defrag, and see if the test is improved. If so, you could turn off restore points, purge all existing ones, defrag, and run the test. You will want to manually create a restore point afterwards to start the normal restore point process (this is what I do)

Note that I am hesitant to advise people to purge their restore points. This is a tool that I myself have used a small number of times but others find it to be a lifesaver

Archived