Avast free antivirus

I just updated my avast antivirus, version 10.3.2223 about 20 minutes ago. Since then, avast web shield is blocking web sites. I tried getting on the forum but it won't let me. It keeps popping up. Has anyone had a problem with the latest update? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

If you check AV Comparatives, you would find that of top AV's, Bitdefender would be one consistently on the top. They do provide a free version but the free version does not offer any options, it's basically "set and forget"

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Bitdefender won the top AV award for 2014

AV Comparatives is an independent av test site, so you'll see different "top" av's for each yearly quarter, but look for the constant top av's and you'll be o.k.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/

Edited by Joe C

Is there any chance that I could remove avast and re-install?

Yes, you can remove it and reinstall, BUT, be sure to locate the Avast folder in C:\Program Files and delete the entire folder. This will give you a clean install of the new version.

:geezer:

I can't even get on the site you said nigsy, web shield is blocking it. As a matter of fact, I can't get on ANY avast websites

is there one particular site to download avast free?

is there one particular site to download avast free? Is there a chance the same thing could happen again after the download? Do they have a phone number for free support?

Sorry for all the questions, but how do I turn web shield off? Found it, should I turn it off until restart of computer?

Yep. Turn it off, download the avast tool. remove avast and reboot.

Delete it and get Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free anti-virus from Microsoft which I have been using for years. It can be found on the Microsoft site or google it.

i dont think the computer needs to be in safe mode to remove it,right click the avast icon that is in the system tray(lower right hand side by the clock) then avast shield control,disable it. then try removing as stated earlier

Do you mean disable permanently? I'm not sure of which one you mean to remove it. BTW I'm still running XP, waiting for the new one to come out. You mean the avast uninstall utility?

Delete it and get Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free anti-virus from Microsoft which I have been using for years. It can be found on the Microsoft site or google it.

Not to hijack the thread... but Microsoft stopped providing MSE for XP systems clear back last April. It will update if you already have it... but you cannot install it to a system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help