Change Mode

Motherboard is dying!

So after several years of service my Gigabyte UD5 mob has finally started dying. Think it was brought on when my PSU went up in smoke recently.

I'm now down to only one memory slot working and I cant live on 4gb of ram!!

Always been an intel fan; but have decide to jump ship to AMD with a £250 budget to get MoB, CPU, and some water cooling (thought I would go for it) have gone for this set up:

AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail 1 £112.49
Corsair Hydro H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060015-WW) 1 £54.16
ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 ATX Motherboard 1 £51.66

With tax and shipping £260 from Overclockers.

Going to use my existing case, memory etc; so hoping for many more years happy computing!!

That's if I can get SUSE to install on the new UEFI bios thingy ma jig.

agreed 4 gigs of memory is barely enuff to run a rig nowadays,i have the 8350 in one of my rigs and it does alright and for the price its a no brainer. i have always like AMD but find myself ready to jump ship to INTEL,funny how things shift over time. let us know how you like the new set-up. btw what PSU are you using,just curious. :b33r::b33r:

The new psu is a Corsair 750w, the old one fizzed and died. I think that's when the memory slots on the MoB started going. The ram sticks still all work so I'll be back to 24gb soon.

And C_B' I live in the UK, trust me ambient temps are not an issue!

yup most likely when the PSU went it took some of the board with it,i have an Evga board with bad memory slots too. good thing nigsy only the memory slot went and nothing else.what PSU was it that went up in smoke? i just sold my corsair tx750w that was 7 years old so you should be good with yours

Av temps at the moment around 22c (70F) and at night 14c(55F). Current CPU temps on air:

[email protected]:~> sensors
radeon-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +35.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +39.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +38.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:       +39.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:       +35.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

My old PSU was also a corsair; not sure of the model but it was old; this is the 3rd PC it's been in.

you got everything installed and up and running yet? just to add suse has no problems installing on a uefi system even with secure boot enabled.

:b33r:

Just got it going now.

All good; infact better than good. Thought I would have to reinstall SUSE, but it booted first time as if nothing had changed.

Had to reset the network adapter and sound card but everything else is working fine.

:b33r: