Help with AMD vid card and Linux Mint 17?

Put an AMD R9 280 in my wifes pc running Mint 17. It's folding but at a very slow rate. Looks like it's going to take 3 days to finish a project that only gives 8000 points. Not good!

It's running on the non proprietary driver that shows as the recomended one to use. Have switched to the other 2 shown but no increase in speed. Tried to load the latest Catalyst drivers, but that causes the system to boot to errors. Shows Xserver not configured correctly. The only way back to a working system was a clean install. Wife was not happy about everything lost. :IG:

Anyone been able to get an R9 280 folding with speed on Linux? Mint ? I need help getting this folding right.

Thanks. :)

There are a couple, but when I tried them it didn't change things. Still slow. Been doing a lot of searching, and seems AMD cards don't do well on Mint. Going to give it a few days to see what happens, and try a few other things. But may have to go back to Windows to get this thing folding up to potential.

There are a couple, but when I tried them it didn't change things. Still slow. Been doing a lot of searching, and seems AMD cards don't do well on Mint. Going to give it a few days to see what happens, and try a few other things. But may have to go back to Windows to get this thing folding up to potential.

Have you given EVGA NVIDIA cards any thought??? I'm on a GTX-760 in Exeter, (my SETI cruncher), and just picked up a used GTX-750 TI for Prometheus. Prometheus is currently crunching SETI on GPU and F@H on CPU; the CPU in Prometheus is a Pentium E5200 series. I'm giving Prometheus a week to crunch SETI on the new 750 TI, and then will switch the GPU to F@H to see what it will do.

I've heard that since Mint is close to Ubuntu in how it operates that some GPU drivers won't work right for crunching. I've heard SUSE is better; but, if you're going back to Windows the AMD GPU will be fine, there. If you're determined to get a GPU to work on Mint, I'd look at NVIDIA.

TL