Upgraded GTX-275 to GTX-750...

With Win 10 being "promoted" on my Win 7 Pro system, I'm considering upgrading to it. Unfortunately, as being discussed in the SETI Number Crunching Forum, Win 10 will be forcing driver updates for video cards. If Win 10 were force update my GTX-275 driver from 266.58 to the current driver, ALL of my SETI WUs would crash and die. This is because the GTX-275 is Pre-FERMI and any driver newer than 337.88 will cause WU failure.

If I can get enough money together, I would like to upgrade the GTX-275 to a GTX-750, 750 SC, or 750 TI SC. These Kepler cards can take the newest drivers.

What I would like to know from the F@H Team is if I can get my hands on a GTX-750, (any flavor), would I be able to crunch BOTH SETI@Home and F@H on the one card??? I would anticipate having to set SETI priorities low, and crunch only one WU at a time, and leave the rest of the GPU crunching power to F@H. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

I suggest waiting until after the 2015 Computex 2015 in Taipei, Taiwan drives the prices of "lessor" cards down.

Computex 2015 ends June 7 so the prices should all ready be falling but I would keep a daily eye on the card(s) that are desired and watch their prices for long enough to establish that they are not going to drop further.

The new 750 TI is on it's way!!! I was contacted by a generous Setizen who had one to spare. I'm going to pay him $50 for it. It will be here Friday. By Monday the 15th, it will be working in Prometheus, (my Win 7 Pro system), and I will see what it can do on SETI first. :)

TL

Well, I got the GTX-750 TI yesterday. Got it installed, (physically took seconds to replace the 275 with the 750), but didn't realize that I should have uninstalled driver 266.58 first; or, even, (maybe), installing 337.88 in preparation for the 750... After hours of fighting, trying to uninstall 266.58 with 750 TI installed, I gave up and turned to the guys in Number Crunching at SETI. One of them told me to install "Display Driver Uninstaller" to get rid of 266.58, and that would allow me to install 337.88.

SuperShield blasted a large warning window stating that I shouldn't run DDU; the guys in NC said to ignore it, and click "Allow". So, I did, unfortunately the application closed. So, I reran it as Administrator. That got DDU working. DDU had me reboot the system into Safe Mode; there it took over and successfully uninstalled 266.58 and rebooted the system back into Normal Mode.

Once back at the desktop, I was able to FINALLY install 337.88. Now the card is seen by the system, GPU-Z, Hardware Monitor, and Precision X/16 as a GTX-750 TI. The card has been successfully crunching SETI since 6 AM - PDT, this morning. It is crunching three WUs at a time, and making great progress. I will let that go for a week; then, Suspend SETI and set F@H to give a go at it for another week.

Wish me luck. :)

TL

P.S. Best $50 I've spent on a computer. :)

OK, I may be engaging the GPU for F@H sooner, rather than later... SETI, (under BOINC), is running out of work. If BOINC SETI runs completely dry tomorrow morning, I would like to make the switch.

I have a question, though... Right now, F@H is just crunching on CPU. Can F@H continue crunching on CPU and crunch GPU at the same time; or, do I need to stop crunching on CPU in favor of GPU.

For BOINC, it is recommended that you keep one core free on the CPU to feed the GPU for GPU crunching. However; as I unexpectedly, but pleasantly, found that F@H crunching on CPU and BOINC SETI crunching on GPU play nice together, I have let both run at the same time. I would hope that if I completely suspend BOINC for awhile that F@H would continue crunching on CPU and just add crunching on the GPU to its list of things to run.

Somebody, please let me know, soon... It's now 9:09 PM on Tuesday the 16 th. I will check this Thread again, in the morning.

Thanks,

TL

You will want to leave one core for the GPU in F@H also, it should work just fine. Be sure to configure this under "Configure/Slots/Edit" and be sure to add the client-type advanced OR client-type beta flag. ;)

:geezer:

OK, thanks Caintry_boy. :) Exeter, (my main SETI cruncher with the GTX-760), ran out of work early this morning. I have just completed installation and setup of F@H on that system. The GTX-760 has begun crunching!!! (It is also using one core of the CPU to crunch; but, I think I'll let that be, for now.)

Prometheus is still going through it's cache of SETI units; so, I'll switch the new GTX-750 TI once the SETI queue is finished.

Can you see the GTX-760 on Exeter as "on line", now??? Or, does it have to finish crunching its first WU before you all can see it???

TL

Won't see it individually, it'll just show more PPD in your updates here > http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=668848

Fold On!

Thanks for that link. I have bookmarked it. :)

I just tried to register at that site to be able to post; but, it "Banned your e-Mail address", (meaning my e-Mail address), and I don't know why... :yikes: I also tried just logging in, and that didn't work, either... :surrender:

So, I guess I can't participate in conversations there... :P

TL

I see a 7300+ point update for the 6pm hour... ;)

That's Exeter's first completed GPU WU!!! :) Prometheus is still crunching SETI... I thought that Prometheus would have been done three hours ago... :yikes:

Oh well, 6:08 PM - PDT, now... Prometheus might not be done until early tomorrow morning... If that's the case, I'll switch the 750 TI over tomorrow. :)

TL

Well, SETI got fixed faster than I thought they would... Last time took several days; this time took one day. Both computers are fully replenished with SETI WUs...

Still, I'm going to let Exeter run F@H through the night, and pick SETI back up in the morning. Prometheus will crunch SETI as originally planned through 'til Friday night; then switch over to F@H for a week. My plan is to crunch back and forth, a week at a time, on each program.

See you all tomorrow. 9:09 PM here, goodnight everyone. :)

TL

OK - One more report... The 750 TI WON'T crunch!!! :yikes: It tries to start folding, then keeps resetting to "Ready" and then "Running" but won't come off 0.00%... I know the driver is perfectly fine; because SETI is crunching, well - when F@H is Paused, but when I pause/Suspend SETI, F@H WILL NOT crunch on the 750 TI... Very baffling.

Any suggestions??? Should I reinstall the F@H client??? (After all, I did have the MASSIVE driver conflict being unable to uninstall Driver 266.58 upon installing the 750 TI.) F@H, (even with the driver conflict), saw the 750 TI for the card it was; but did come up Paused... Then, as previously posted, I had the driver meltdown; fixed that, and got SETI working. I was sure that that meant the card was ready for F@H as well... Am I missing something??? My guess is there's something corrupted somewhere, in which case my best guess is to reinstall F@H, now that the driver is fixed.

I will check back in the morning...

TL

Fine, call me STUBBORN!!! :)

Reinstalled F@H over itself to see if that would clear the problem. NO DICE!!! Next removed and re-added GPU. NO DICE!!! WUs kept crashing...

FINALLY, went into Configure, and changed values for GPU from -1 to 1 for the Card Slot, and 0 for the other two settings... SUCCESS!!! :) The 750 TI is folding!!! :)

I will let the card run through the night.

See you all tomorrow. :)

Goodnight. 9:48 PM - PDT

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

Total Points on Web Control: 115,361... WOOHOO!!!! I broke 100K!!!! :):mrgreen::clap::woot:

That's almost double what the points were before crunching with GPUs started!!!! One night of crunching and I went from 60K+++ to over 100K!!! :banana3::rofl3::mrgreen::laughing::woot:

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

Bad news; but, on the scale of 1 - 10 it's very low on the list.

I've noticed that Exeter's AMD A6-6400K CPU has jumped 20+ degrees in temperature while crunching F@H. Since I'm primarily going to crunch/Fold on the GPU; I'm going to permanently stop Folding on the A6 processor. It's hitting 80+ Celsius; which is close to ceiling for it. So, it's best that this processor NOT Fold. Besides, it takes A LOT longer to crunch/Fold on CPU than GPU, anyway.

In light of the 20 degree difference, I paused the Pentium E5200 on Prometheus; and, it too sees this rise in heat while Folding. (Temp dropped from 50+ degrees C to the mid 30's, while paused.) So, I'm going to stop Folding there, too. I need these two systems to last as long as they can. With AMD more temp. sensitive right now than Intel, it's EXTREMELY important to me that Exeter last a long time; so, NO crunching NOR Folding there on CPU... :(

Folding and crunching will continue on the two GPUs. :):banana2::banana3::mrgreen::clap:

TL

[EDIT:]

Exeter finished its last CPU WU about 20 Min. ago. (4:32 PM - PDT)

Prometheus' CPU WU will finish after 10 PM - PDT, tonight.

Edited by TimeLord04