Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Never saw this happen before.

Someone posted in "this" forum for help.

They also posted at another site.

Because they posted at another site the topic was closed for discussion here.

Maybe this is the first time I noticed this very bad practice, if it is a common occurance it should cease immediately. I have never seen such a thing happen ever before, people often post problems at numerous sites and choose which advice to follow, or use advice from numerous places to resolve issues.

If it is the first time it has happened then the user of this forum is owed an apology. If it is a common occurance than many people are owed an apology, and the ones closing these topics need to evaluate their participation here and why they have joined this forum at all.

After all this is a help based forum and to close threads because someone posted at another site is totally unaccepatble. It blows my mind to see this behaviour by people.

Gotcha now.

Replied to your PM, but now I've found the post; I would probably agree with the action in this kind of instance.

We don't want the OP getting confused running multiple clean up software and being advised, possibly differently, across 2 separate threads. The other thread has been linked so people can follow if they want to.

in normal circumstances, ie a post in User to user; I wouldn't close it.

It isn't "two seperate threads"!

It is two different sites.

I often see posts here and in other forums I belong to asking for help. I see it among other sections of these forums.

In my 15 years being a member here, and 30 years of using computers and message boards, mailing lists, discussion groups, and other forms of communication, I have never once in all those years seen a topic closed because it was alos posted at another site. Not only is it disrespectful to the OP, but is also very disrepectful to these forums and the owner of these forums.

The reason people post in multiple sites is because they are looking for different solutions, it simply blows my mind that someone would have the audacity to close a thread because the question was asked elsewhere. The OP will either get answers from someone here or they will not, it is not the business of any member of this forum to determine when someone asks a question at another site to close a thread here. If that is the new policy I contend you would likely need to close 60 or 70% of the forum down. Because I can assure you the same questions are asked in other places also.

It is up to the individual OP to determine where on the internet they ask questions, and where on the internet they will choose a solution. Such censorship is simply put outrageous!

Edited by Bruce

I think your missing what is happening.

I fully support what you say; but this is potentially removing malware and viruses; the OP could open 2 threads on different forums and start running conflicting programs that just compound the problem. That is not helpful to either the OP or the person trying to resolve the issue as the person trying to resolve the issue may not have sight of the other forum.

It is up to the individual OP to determine where on the internet they ask questions, and where on the internet they will choose a solution. Such censorship is simply put outrageous!

The OP had already started to run with a solution on the other forum; for one of our malware techs to jump in here and start offering advice would be wrong in this instance.

As I said in my PM to you; I often open threads on different forums so I can weigh up advice given; but this is not one of those scenarios.

Maybe rather than closing the thread, pointing the OP back to their original post would have sufficed?

nigsy is totally right.

We don't want the OP getting confused running multiple clean up software and being advised, possibly differently, across 2 separate threads

The OP had already started to run with a solution on the other forum; for one of our malware techs to jump in here and start offering advice would be wrong in this instance.

Nope there is never any accepatble excuse for closing a thread simply because someone asked a question in a different forum. Not in any way shape or form is it acceptable. You guys can play that game if you want, I'll choose not be a part of a place that does such stupid things. see ya.

Do what you want ...

If the OP is seeking help with malware and is being addressed/helped in another forum, we don't step on their toes. It doesn't do any good to confuse the OP with more instructions from two different forums.

We will help the user, if their problem can't or wasn't be solved in the first anti-malware forum.

Do as you please.

You are wrong in this case. Throwing your toys out of the pram won't change that; helping the OP is all that matters here.

Somehow I think you're still missing the point Bruce. The OP didn't simiply ask a question that is up for discution. The OP asked for help removing malware and is recieving help to do that. You've been around enough to know that malware removal often requires "tearing down" a system to rip out the embeded malware, and then rebuilding it. Having two helper working on the same system is confusing and can be dangerous to the machine.

You woudn't hire two different contractors to renovate the same building completely independently. You wouldn't send two fire crews into the same burning building without knowledge or communication between them. You wouldn't have two different road commisioners providing assignments to the same crews at the same time.

I think everyone has made valid points in their perspective. I have two things I want to say.

It is the absolute right of any forum owner and their designated representatives (admins and moderators) to administrate and moderate the forum they own based upon their policy and procedures or even whims. The users of a forum or message board of any kind are doing so at the pleasure of the owner.

I think the folks using this forum who have trained to provide a professional level of assistance are providing a commendable level of service to the forum users.

Ironically, I think I'm going to lock this thread as I think the point has been made. No good can come with keeping it open for discussion.

Thanks for everyones input.