NASA reboot in search for life

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/28/nasa-rebooting-its-search-for-life-beyond-earth-thanks-to-exopla/21176618/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl19%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D-1331770719

Could this be a boost to SETI@home seeing new participants?

NASA hasn't funded the project since 1992 and congress killed it's budget less than a year later. There's still volunteers out there crunching SETI to help find life out there somewhere!

I'm thinking about putting together another machine to run SETI now!! The universe is so massively large, I don't believe it's possible we are the only life in existence.

I used to think the universe was teeming with life - That we'd end up freely traversing the solar systems like in Star Trek or Star Wars - 1000's of different species of different state of advancement.

Then I studied the Drake Equation as part of my university course and it changed my mind. There is probably life out there; more than likely in our own solar system, it's probably full of micro biological life from Mars, the Jovian moons, Saturns moons and possibly as far away as one of the rocks that surround Pluto; but none of it intelligent; even in the wider Milkyway or our local Galaxy Cluster; advanced life even to our level is probably so rare, we may be the only ones alive at this point in time.

For those who are not aware of the equation it tries to equate the number of advanced civilisations based on assumptions

• How old is the universe
  • How quickly can stars form
  • % of those stars that may have a solar system
  • Potential number of life bearing planets in that solar system
  • And for me the most important one : How long can a civilisation last

It was never meant to be a true mathematical formula more a philosophical approach to the possibility of advanced life elsewhere.

There has probably been millions of civilisations that have risen and disappeared in the 14billion (give or take) years since the big-bang; but it's how many in this unimaginable time period are here now; 7bn years after the formation of our Sun, 4.5 billion years after the formation of Earth after only 200,000 years of existence of our own species as Homo Sapien, after probably only 100 years of us leaving a footprint in space from radio noise; the odds are stacked against us!!

:clap:

Since the first I learned about the SETI program it has been very interesting to me. The down side is it seems to be a flawed system. It would only work perfectly if we understand everything about the entire known universe so as to exclude any possible interference. For all we know, the famous "wow signal" could have been a supernova or maybe even the birth or death of a black hole. It's still quite fascinating either way.

As for "How long can a civilisation last"... Stephen Hawking says about 1000 years for us :mrsgreen:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/28/stephen-hawking-says-humans-won-t-last-another-1000-years-on-earth/21177341/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1331770719

Hawking has expressed this belief in the past, and largely attributes the inevitable demise of the planet to the destructive ways of humans. He specifically mentioned war, resource depletion and overpopulation.

Maybe this is why we are unable to find intelligent life out there. Maybe there once was but it wiped itself out of existence.

By the way, have you seen the film "The Theory of Everything"?

:clap:

As for "How long can a civilisation last"... Stephen Hawking says about 1000 years for us :mrsgreen:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/28/stephen-hawking-says-humans-won-t-last-another-1000-years-on-earth/21177341/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1331770719

Maybe this is why we are unable to find intelligent life out there. Maybe there once was but it wiped itself out of existence.

By the way, have you seen the film "The Theory of Everything"?

I haven't seen the film yet; it's on my list to catch up on.

Hawkins 1000 years is probably about right if taken from say the start of the 20th Century; I guess by the year 3000 we would have either destroyed ourself through war, overpopulation or global warming or maybe by then put all the nonsense to one side and started to colonise the nearby planets, but even then I think we would need to be an advanced civilisation for around 500,000 years to stand any chance of connecting with any intelligent life elsewhere.

My problem with SETI is that it can only look for the kind of signals we understand - for the sake of argument if aliens are use some fancy Star Trek inspired subspace frequency and are happily chatting across time and space; we do not have the technology to detect this (yet); SETI looking for radio signals isn't going to find anything; the famous 'blip' was never fully explained, but it has never been seen again unfortunately.

Find it hard for my small brain stem to think no intelligent life exists in all the know universe or unknown for that matter other than on earth. The homo sapiens of our world are not the only intelligent life on earth; we are not even the most intelligent on the planet. We do have the physical and mental capability to be the most destructive. Our demise is not surreptitious, it is beating us over the head like a hammer we just refuse to look at the hammer.

Find it hard for my small brain stem to think no intelligent life exists in all the know universe or unknown for that matter other than on earth. The homo sapiens of our world are not the only intelligent life on earth; we are not even the most intelligent on the planet. We do have the physical and mental capability to be the most destructive. Our demise is not surreptitious, it is beating us over the head like a hammer we just refuse to look at the hammer.

I don't disagree; There is intelligent life out there, but even it's only 1 billion light years away; we'll never know.

Divergent evolution shows us that species completely cut off from each other evolve similar traits to overcome nature and survive. So taking this to a universe level even if an Earth like planet 1bn light years away formed 4.5bn years ago; in the goldilocks zone of it's own sun; the chances are it's inhabitants are only at the same level of tech as we are; and are probably struggling with the same fundamental question....Are we alone?.

I've been crunching SETI@Home since 2006; and, will continue to crunch. Will we find "The Signal"??? Maybe not in my lifetime; but, we will find it. That still doesn't mean that we will meet that species; just that we will find proof of their existence.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

I don't disagree; There is intelligent life out there, but even it's only 1 billion light years away; we'll never know.

Divergent evolution shows us that species completely cut off from each other evolve similar traits to overcome nature and survive. So taking this to a universe level even if an Earth like planet 1bn light years away formed 4.5bn years ago; in the goldilocks zone of it's own sun; the chances are it's inhabitants are only at the same level of tech as we are; and are probably struggling with the same fundamental question....Are we alone?.

Why would that life have to be at the same tech level that we are? Sure maybe if you use all constants in the equation... but there's so many variables that could easily change that. What if said life form is not carbon based like we are? Then said life form could possibly flourish in a much harsher environment than we believe is possible.

What if said life form never believed in any gods or religions? Would they not be further along then? Or maybe they got along with each other right from the start and never had any such thing as war.

Of course those are just ideas and may or may not be the case.