Change Mode

Linux Noob Questions

SoulFly

I started messing with Mint in particular again. Starting with the latest. I thought surely in 2015, most of the many, many issues I have ever encountered in the past with Linux distro's would be mostly resolved but no. So now I have a plethora of new questions.

I am using Mint 17.1 live usb, 64 bit version atm.

1. When I close my laptop lid, it goes into standby but resumes several seconds later and stays on. I can't seem to get it to stay in standby.

2. All the text is really small, I can barely read it. In the web browser, I had to zoom in to 200% to make it legible...why?

3. When I open software manager and folders, the box window size is really small and I have to keep resizing it everytime I open it.

4. When I search for software, some of them have 2 or more installable files...one usually says i386 after it. But does not say what i386 version is....how is anyone supposed to know which to download? Sometimes other files that appear to be related to the app show but no clue what they are. There is no explanations.

5. Firefox crashes like nothing I have ever seen in my life. It crashes when visiting some sites but not most others. It got worse when went to visit a certain Google result concerning a Linux question which was a forum, it crashed so hard that when I tried to reopen it, it keeps crashing over and over in a vicious cycle. I know I can download another browser but that's not quite the point.

6. I installed Touchegg so I can have some trackpad gestures. To configure it I'm supposed to open a configuration file...but it won't open. I tried to open with text editor and even a word processor that comes with Mint...nothing. I can't even launch the text editor on it's own...wth? What I actually want is a pre-made config file that's setup similarly to OS X . I know people have made them cause I read about them but no one has it uploaded?

7. This question is more of a rant. I posted some of these questions in a Linux forums noob section. All I got was very vague and short answers to only 1 question concerning wifi driver..I fixed that myself actually by going to driver manager as their answers were way off sending me to confusing commands without explaining anything.

The last time I played with Linux I used a different popular forum and it was basically the same thing or no answers at all. But yet so many say the Linux community offers better help than Apple or MS, perhaps but so far I have yet to find their forums very helpful. Just curious what the deal is? My questions are so basic that every other OS has long resolved.

If MS ever released an OS in this kind of shape...well you know. In ways maybe they have but the Linux community has had so long and I'm still getting font sizes that are too small to read?...I had that problem with Ubuntu since way back in 2007 on a full run of the mill desktop....C'mon now.

If I can get those out of the way, I think I can finally start to actually use it but I"m certain I'll be back with more ;)

I think the majority of your issues are because you are running a live CD (USB) and not a full install. The graphics drivers sound like they need switching and that might cure most of the font size issues.

The firefox issue could be linked to java script errors; the firefox forums are full of this at the moment for both windows and Linux.

You need to open the config file with root privileges to make any ammendments - again as you are running a Live CD - not sure what you can change as far as config files are concerned?

Why not either do a full install and see if that works or partition your drive and dual boot between windows and Mint?

I think the majority of your issues are because you are running a live CD (USB) and not a full install. The graphics drivers sound like they need switching and that might cure most of the font size issues.

The firefox issue could be linked to java script errors; the firefox forums are full of this at the moment for both windows and Linux.

You need to open the config file with root privileges to make any ammendments - again as you are running a Live CD - not sure what you can change as far as config files are concerned?

Why not either do a full install and see if that works or partition your drive and dual boot between windows and Mint?

Because I first had to figure out if it was going to work well enough for me to even do a dual boot or even have it as the only OS. It's a Macbook. Although OS X is just fine I just don't care a lot for the GUI and the fact that most of all the decent software costs money, even the most trivial of ones such as a simple stopwatch app. Bootcamp doesn't officially support Linux and I didn't research too far into dual booting on it just yet until I understood those issues first.

However, I couldn't seem to resolve Macfanctl or know if it was working. The laptop kept heating up and sucking down the battery so I'm a little leary on going ahead with a full HD install.

Maybe later when I have more time to research. I already invested in several hours just trying to figure out all that. Plus I still cannot find a pre-made configuration file for Touchegg...No way I could use this laptop without gestures and I got the basic idea of how you're supposed to configure it, I wasn't getting anywhere I wanted to be.

You can install Linux to USB stick, Just like you can to HDD.

I know, that's what I did. Maybe you call it something different. I followed this tutorial a youtube video. https://www.computersnyou.com/2803/create-bootable-live-usb-linux-mint-16-petra-windows-linux-mac/

Edited by SoulFly

That is a "live" USB it is not "installed" on a usb drive. There is a huge difference.

^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^^

All you have done is create a bootable USB what we call a Live Cd. You have not installed Linux on the USB stick - that is a totally different thing.

The only way to truly test these things is to dual boot it or more destructively a full install.

You neglected to mention in your first post this was a MAC book; I know nothing about them, so advising you further would probably be dangerous due to the fact Apple drivers for graphic cards etc may not be open source.

Live CD images are great to a point but until you do a full install you are never going to be able to replicate what you need.

Anyway saw this:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1643

Maybe of some use.