Starting to Fold Again!

nigsy

OK....so I trying to get folding up and running again; but I've run into the same problem that stopped my last time.....overheating leading to thermal shutdown:

Here's my temps folding at 50% cpu - Running an i7

nigsy@linux-3ofb:~> sensors
radeon-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +42.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +96.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +98.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:       +93.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:       +87.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

I have cleaned the dust bunnies; reseated the cpu with new paste and a good clean - Normal running temps high 30s.

This seems a massive jump in temps just to push the CPU to 50%.

Have my I7 2600K overclocked to 4500 MHz on water with 2 120mm fans on Black Ice Rad my CPU is at 100% with the following temps.

Core 1 at 64 C
Core 2 at 62 C
Core 3 at 64 C
Core 4 at 66 C

Nigel, what are you cooling with? That's an awful jump just for 50%...

:geezer:

I'm running a Zalman ZM-STG2; never have a problem when running intensive video encoding; for some reason folding just ramps the temps right up.

nigsy, I don't remember what cpu you're running there but it's my opinion that we need to get you a better aftermarket cooler...of some kind...

Running one of the original i7 chips not OC'd; the fans only 12 months old; not really in the market to replace it at the moment - especially as it's only folding that causes the temp hike.

Running one of the original i7 chips not OC'd; the fans only 12 months old; not really in the market to replace it at the moment - especially as it's only folding that causes the temp hike.

Like an i7-920 X58 chip?? Listen friend, I have a radiator and a water block for one of those...

Like an i7-920 X58 chip?? Listen friend, I have a radiator and a water block for one of those...

I'll take a rain-check on that for the moment; I'm not keen on water cooling!! Cheers anyway.

Way to big!! Haven't got £70 to spend on cooling at the moment just to enable me to fold. Had a play around inside the case yesterday, re-routed some cabling and fitted another case fan; got the temps down to low/mid 80's. No shutdown over night so I'll leave her up and see how it goes.

Had to restart the system today (Not folding related) - And folding would not run; lost all my information, passkey etc. Had to remove from the software repository and download it all again from stanford. Up and running again now though.

If anyone needs to know how to get this running in openSUSE; I am now an expert!!

curious but what nvidia drivers you using, few weeks back got it running on suse 13.2 for caintry but for some reason it wouldn't fold on the gpu's i assumed it was video drivers that was causing the problem but we never seemed to be online at the same time to get it sorted, so he went back to using windows.

so wondered if you are just using the drivers in the nvidia repo or if you downloaded and installed latest from nvidia or even installed the cuda drivers that from my understanding are no longer needed but think i got caintry to install the last time i helped him get everything up and running.

:b33r:

curious but what nvidia drivers you using, few weeks back got it running on suse 13.2 for caintry but for some reason it wouldn't fold on the gpu's i assumed it was video drivers that was causing the problem but we never seemed to be online at the same time to get it sorted, so he went back to using windows.

so wondered if you are just using the drivers in the nvidia repo or if you downloaded and installed latest from nvidia or even installed the cuda drivers that from my understanding are no longer needed but think i got caintry to install the last time i helped him get everything up and running.

I'm only folding on the CPU; Stanford doesn't support my ageing graphics card!! Just for info, I'm using the default drivers that are in SUSE; X-org.

If anyone needs to know how to get this running in openSUSE; I am now an expert!!

good expert you are!!! :P

Stanford doesn't support my ageing graphics card!!

same thing with me (gtx275) and why i didn't bother trying to install it on my system to see if i had the same problem with gpu folding.

the cpu folding install tho is pretty straight forward and just needs one folder moved/linked from memory for everything to work.

For GTX 780 and older the best Nvidia driver is the 327.23 you will get more points with it than any other driver. For the 900 series up use the latest ones.

Heat issue sorted.

Noticed as the CPU use and the heat increased the fan speed didn't.

Found an old i7 stock cooler in my box of spares, cleaned her up and fitted and here's the temps with folding at medium and W8.1 running Camtasia video software through Oracle Vbox...... So CPU at 100% and using 4.5gb RAM..........

radeon-pci-0200
temp1:        +34.5°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Core 0:       +73.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +74.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:       +69.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:       +69.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

I'd say that's fine!

Heat issue sorted.

Noticed as the CPU use and the heat increased the fan speed didn't.

Found an old i7 stock cooler in my box of spares, cleaned her up and fitted and here's the temps with folding at medium and W8.1 running Camtasia video software through Oracle Vbox...... So CPU at 100% and using 4.5gb RAM..........

radeon-pci-0200
temp1:        +34.5°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Core 0:       +73.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +74.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:       +69.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:       +69.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

I'd say that's fine!

:yup: