Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leftydrummrr

Infected again? or did I dodge a bullet?

I asked a question in the email forum about removing Google, Facebook ,or any email address that I might have used once from popping up again in my email list of contacts when I enter a letter to bring up MY contact list. This morning I see an email from PCPitstop with a reply to the topic.The email text is in some other language Russian maybe? The name in blue text is Ronaldgtype? I dont open the email,but click on the link to go back to my topic.

There is no reply to the topic from anyone. I try to go back to my email,but I get a screen saying this webpage is unavailable.

I do a scan with Spybot,loaded latest updates first. Found these browser entries

Burst Media

Casale Media

Double Click

Media Plex

Web trends Live

Zedo

Deleted those and restarted computer. Computer is fine and I have email back,no other problems,that I can tell.Those browser entries are the same ones I saw when my computer was infected last week. I still have the email that caused the problem.Do you want me to forward it to you? Would that be safe? Should I delete it?

Thanks

I banned your Russian poster this morning, Mr. Ronaldgtype is no longer with us as he's a SPAMMER....if it was me, I'd delete the email in question and then "empty the trash". Some of the trash in your list there such as Zedo and Casale Media are suspect in my opinion. I'd have Juliet or one of the other Malware Tech's have a look...

:geezer:

I believe those are just tracking cookies. No real "infection" and perhaps not even installed programs. Those are just tracking cookies that you pick up when visiting sites, they "remember you" when you visit again and/or so the advertising you see on the site will be targeted to what is hoped to be your interests . If you are concerned about them, the only thing I know you can do to stop the cookies from being delivered is to install something like No-Scripts on Firefox (I'm sure something similar is available for chrome).

I deleted the email,and the trash. The computer is performing fine,as far as I can tell. If you think its best for me to run some scans,let me know.

Thanks.

It is totally up to you. I have no reason to believe that you have something nefarious lurking. However, if you are concerned... I'm willing to look at some logs.

Just let me know. :tup:

Lefty, like the other Pitsters have said, those are most likely tracking cookies. Doubleclick is definitely one. I don't know which browser you use, but I'm sure there is a way you can make sure all third-party cookies are blocked. Let us know which browser you are using, and I know someone here can talk you through the steps to take to block out unnecessary cookie intrusion.

I'm using Chrome for my browser. When I compose an email and enter the letter "g" in the contacts box,I get every email address that uses gmail,not my contacts whose last name begins with the letter g. Any way to stop this? Thanks.