Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tominfl55

Defragment results

I cannot seem to understand the strange numbers I see after PCMatic completes a full defrag of my C: drive. Is there a tutorial that puts this in not too technical terms? The results I see do not at all compare with 2 other defragmenting utilities.

One major difference is that PC Matic reports all files, whether it can defrag them or not. All other defraggers that I know of, including the native Windows defragger, only report files that they can defrag.

Phase 1 is the actual file defrag, Phase 2 through 5 or 6 (if needed) is the disk optimization. The process is non-linear, which means that the progress bar can jump from, for example, 21% to 98% to 43%, etc, depending on how much of the drive space is in use by the defragger at any given time.

If the data fragmentation is not decreasing, then that indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the restore points. You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag with PC Matic, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point) and you should see improvement.

If the fragmentation is not in the restore points, then it is in some other system file that cannot be defragged because Windows is using it when the defragger runs.

The next step is to see if the fragmentation is in the page file or the hibernation file.

To defrag the page file simply delete it then recreate it. The instructions here will describe how to do that:

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/32471-disable-delete-recreate-paging-file-windows-7-a.html

If the data fragmentation is still high, then do a search on the system for a file named hiberfil.sys. If that exists it will need to be deleted as well. Windows will recreate it as needed. You can follow the instructions from here to do that:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-delete-hibernation-file-hiberfil-sys/