To fold or not to fold

Hoping to get some stuff going this weekend, just need to go pick up a few things.

Got an eMachine system from a friend and debating whether or not to get it folding.

It's running an AthlonII X2, 4GB DDR2 and I believe there's 1 PCIe slot so I could add a GPU. Would have to look it up as to whether or not the CPU could be upgraded to a Phenom. Worth folding on or no?

Hoping to get some stuff going this weekend, just need to go pick up a few things.

Got an eMachine system from a friend and debating whether or not to get it folding.

It's running an AthlonII X2, 4GB DDR2 and I believe there's 1 PCIe slot so I could add a GPU. Would have to look it up as to whether or not the CPU could be upgraded to a Phenom. Worth folding on or no?

Justin,

The Athlon II CPU is a good CPU. I've run BOINC SETI@Home on it. It crunches strong, and well. It should make a good addition to Folding@Home. I would crunch on it until you decide which GPU you would run on it. Once you settle on a GPU, I would crunch GPU only. Just my two cents.

TL

Well this is the CPU in the eMachine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103988

The I've got another rig that just needs a GPU (no onboard graphics) can do 2 AMD/ATi cards in crossfire, but not sure if nVidia SLi is capable (no mention of it on ASRock support site)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

Currently running a Phenom X4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103251

Going to switch CPU as soon as I get a better cooler

Got this CPU ready to go and it should be compatible, just need enough cooling for it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

I'll see what GPUs I can get this weekend and get things going ASAP!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it turns out so called "friend" gave me said machine because it is broken junk. While trying to format HDD and install OS the whole machine just powered off and died.

Been searching for a week to find a working GPU for cheap, just anything PCIe x16 and cheap as in less than $16 since that's all I've got available in Paypal.

Nothing doing... people are so :filtered: greedy.... how can anyone justify selling a piece of old, used hardware for $50+

Well screw all of humanity for putting a higher value in pieces of paper than each other. And at this point I'll be putting all the rest of what I have in the trash because I'm done. No one else can have it either, not even for all the money in the world, because un-educated idiots don't deserve to have such nice things that us true geeks invent and then get screwed out of. :filtered: greedy corporations, churches, politicians and every stupid piece of excrement who supports all those :filtered:ed up systems!!

Yes of course, and it was working just fine for about 30 minutes while it formatted HDD and started install of OS (Linux Mint in this case) then it just powered off. Manually tested the PSU and there's no voltage out from it on any rail (it fried). Mobo must have gone too cause it won't power on even with a known working PSU.

So looks to be just trash to me.

Yes of course, and it was working just fine for about 30 minutes while it formatted HDD and started install of OS (Linux Mint in this case) then it just powered off. Manually tested the PSU and there's no voltage out from it on any rail (it fried). Mobo must have gone too cause it won't power on even with a known working PSU.

So looks to be just trash to me.

Sorry to hear, Justin. :(

Looking into another one now, have to see how it goes... but someone I sorta know from old neighborhood is willing to sell me an HP/Compaq machine with AMD X3 CPU (might be Athlon or maybe Phenom, I'll ask to find out) and 4GB RAM for $40. Going to check it out, if anything seems off I'll pass. If it's a go I'll search up the mobo to see if it will run Phenom X4 or if it can only use what's in there now. Hoping to get it figured out tonight, we got snow coming Saturday night and Sunday possibly up to 9" or so total.

If it's not so good I may be able to work something out to order up cheap (most likely used) GPU and ATX case from eBay (or maybe Amazon) so as to get the ASRock mobo to use already.