Change Mode

Just raising awareness of the sensible step of protecting your mobile as well as your PC, I've warned about such things now for MANY years, and although this is still down to illegal users stupidity (for illegal downloading) it does show how serious this is becoming for Android users, as in the extent of what can, and IS now happening, and it's the most serious\damaging issue I have seen yet to warn people about not thinking Android = safe\untouchable any more, previous threats I have known about only showed the reality\ability of this being only a matter of time before serious threats came out, there may be other cases I have not seen before, but this one is the 1st I have seen to physically cost people money from mobile banking, so get protected before it's too late is my advice.

Fake Android The Interview App actually banking Trojan

Here are a couple of places giving reviews on various makers, but do bare in mind this is an ever changing market, so reviews are only as good as the source who reviewed them, and the day they were written, I use Kaspersky (full version), as it comes free from my bank, but they have a free version as well, along with all the big names we know for PC's, as well as some we don't, the Pro's may have a deeper insight as to what the best option(s) are, but this at least gives you a starting point should you decide to get protected, assuming your not already, so stay safe people.

15 best antivirus Android App's and anti-malware Android App's

Edited by 8210GUY

Great post :tup:

I guess it's the price you pay for trying to get something by breaking the law.....but these things are coming to Android. Here's a post with a FBI virus style infection:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/204308-fbi-virus-or-malware-on-android-devices/

I use lookout security on my devices and have 3rd party apps turned off. Think it comes down to the same as PC users have been dealing with and that is just to use common sense.

Yep, they are pretty much a small laptop these days, the "smart-phones" at least, but it doesn't mean other phones are immune, and although the likelihood of the vast major it getting hit (illegal stuff aside) is still minimal at this time, it should be taken as a wake up call for people to start extending their PC knowledge and tools (ALL the big names we know and suggest have a free option for mobiles, among some we don't know) onto their mobiles etc., TBH I had forgotten about that thread, Xmas was just so manic here trying to finish decorating the front room enough to bring the settee back in at least, then the deccy's and the big day, then pretty much die for a week to recover a bit of energy, I just can't manage this any more lol.

But the bottom line is if you have ANY Android device (Tablets etc. included), get it protected (where possible anyway), and treat EVERYTHING that comes up as you would on a PC, basically make sure you know it's genuine, and if it says you need this that or the other to do something, Google it, check for warnings, then go direct to the makers to get it, and if your battery life suddenly starts to decrease more than it should, check it out as it may be an infection using bluetooth or similar to infect other devices by sending itself to anything that will allow it to, and if you see a file request come up on your mobile, if you haven't just done something to cause that to happen, do NOT allow it to do anything, because these things are out there, and will only get worse, so take care.

I don't use any "third party protection" on any device or operating system I use. The common sense approach to computing has served me well for decades now.

Simply put no system is immune from stupidity, there are ways to infect any system. That said Most systems save windows, requires an individual to give permission for such things to be installed on a system. The I accept, agree, agree, agree, continue, continue, continue................. people now use other systems then windows, so it isn't that the systems are "vulnerable" it is the fact that people will install anything. Pretty much if you don't know what it is you are installing, and don't understand what it is it will do then you have no need to install it. ;)

Edited by Bruce

Very true, up to a point, don't get me wrong, common sense is by far the greatest defence we have, but "some" infections can be picked up by simply visiting a web page, or walking past another infected device, I don't deny it may be uncommon for it to happen, as opposed to those who allow something that causes the damage to happen because they don't know any better, but let's face it, very few are probably as aware about such things as you are, as you run a very tight ship so to speak, but it would be like Russian roulette for an extremely vast number of people to use no protection, and although it is no guarantee you won't get infected, it's a whole lot better than doing nothing for most IMHO.

but "some" infections can be picked up by simply visiting a web page, or walking past another infected device,

no actually they can't on an android device, the user always has to make at least 1, usually more, steps/decisions to accept/install any malware onto their devices.

these are not like windows operating systems when 1 pc can infect every other on a network without user intervention, with android the user always has to accept something and why malware doesn't spread on android devices, yes a user can infect their own device with their own stupid decisions but that's about as far as it usually goes.

anti virus software is just a big con in my opinion, it won't stop anybody getting infected especially if the user is stupid anyway and downloads from illegal/unsafe sources.

eg. these anti virus software companies are good at saying things like "50% of all infected mobile devices are android phones", which actually doesn't really mean anything if you think about it.

say there are 1 million infected mobile devices out there and 500,000 of them are android phones, well there are a billion android phones out there so that means that 0.05% are infected, and let me tell you there are a lot more than 0.05% of stupid android users out there. :rofl3:

don't be stupid and your as safe using an android mobile phone with or without any antivirus whatsoever.

biggest complaint i have is the amount of permissions you need to allow to install most apps that are just used for data mining and targeting ads, but that again is still down to the user if he wants the app enough to allow such privacy invasion.

but it would be like Russian roulette for an extremely vast number of people to use no protection, and although it is no guarantee you won't get infected, it's a whole lot better than doing nothing for most IMHO.

actually no, i'd say it's nothing like russian roulette, in actual fact i'd bet you have about as much chance of winning the lottery as getting infected by malware on an android phone running no anti-virus whatsoever and exactly the same odds even if you were running an anti virus app on your android phone.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

I have always admitted I am new to the Android platform, I've been using it for maybe 18 months now, and to start with I did find it very hard at times to do simple things, but I have a much better grip on it now, but I am in no way into any phone the way I used to be on mobile forums, I've moved onto PC's now, but I still try to keep up with changes.

But I fear you are missing the main point of this thread, this is about the real POSSIBILITY of this, as both of you have said, it takes action on the users part (usually, but being out of touch these day's I couldn't swear to it, but I have seen such things on other phones with no user action needed), and because we won't make such an error (I hope lol), it doesn't mean others won't, this is to simply warn people who are less aware to start taking notice of what happens on their devices.

I can think of 3 area's that are possible weak spots for an infection to get access, but I lack the in depth knowledge these day's to know just what is required today for this to happen, but I also remind people of the Caribe infection, all the big wig's said it would NEVER happen, so a group of guy's got together and proved they were wrong, I have clearly said the likelihood of this for most people currently is minimal, although 20,000+ people would tend to disagree ("stupidity" aside as you call it), it is only a matter of time before someone see's the Android market as being as profitable to them as with Windows users.

But the 3 area's that come instantly to mind are Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (both obvious ways), and NFC, a person with very basic kit can walk around and just by passing close to someone, the can get all sorts of peoples Bank Card's with this tech in them, but I don't know how a phone "may" be affected by that approach currently, and again even if it isn't happening now, just like Caribe, it only takes someone to see it as a viable target to start the ball rolling, Wi-Fi speaks for itself really.

But Bluetooth may be different, logically if your device is paired to your PC, and mates devices, with no authorisation required to send a file to them, logically you can get infected, but even if as you say a user would still have to allow something first, if it's come from a "mate" or a trusted PC, they wouldn't know it was something to not touch, and would unknowingly become infected, and again if it can't infect you without the user allowing something today, what about tomorrow when the next "Caribe" style breakthrough happens ?

I created this to raise awareness, and make people realise that these things are out there, and getting worse, no point closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, and just because we know about the dangers of this, others won't be.

nothing against you raising the topic and pointing out these things 8210guy, such info is always nice to know.

it's just i don't believe the threats are as great as the media and especially the anti virus makers would like you to believe, of course it is possible to get malware but then again it is also possible to get run over tomorrow too, personally i'd bet the odds are about the same for both yet i certainly don't go worrying about either, i take notice of what happens on my devices and i take notice of what happens on the roads.

if your ever truely targeted by someone who wants your data then no amount of anti-virus software is going to stop them infecting you and getting it i'm afraid.

why do you think so many people get infected when they all run anti-virus software anyway? anti virus software is just a placebo to ease peoples minds in my opinion. it doesn't have any real stopping power from a targeted malware attack or a silly user, yes it may stop a malware file after 100,000s of people have been infected first and that file is then common knowledge and added to a list, but that is no different than what happens with android anyway without running anti virus software, if a bad app manages to get onto the playstore then by the time it's found and removed would be sooner than the anti-virus software would have been updated anyway, don't forget android has it's own app checking/verifying security built into it by default along with having to enable the unknown sources too.

personally my phone is set so no background data is allowed, bluetooth is always off until i need it, same with wifi. if i get infected then you can be damn sure it was my own stupid fault and no amount of anti virus software would have stopped it. :laughing:

should add i looked up this

"Caribe" style breakthrough

and that in fact too needed the user to "install" it first before it could run, so don't see why it's such a "big" thing in your mind.

Cabir does not spread if the user does not accept the file-transfer or does not agree with the installation,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabir_%28computer_worm%29

and when i say stupid, i'm not trying to be offensive i just mean being ignorant or not thinking first before acting and accepting everything just because it popped up in front of them on their screen.

Edited by terry1966

No I appreciate all that, and agree for the most part, and have stated many times that the likelihood of a person getting hit by such a thing currently is so small you would never have a problem, currently anyway, and I completely agree that just because a piece of protection says all is well kind of thing, it can give users an overestimated feeling of protection, as always no single piece of software can catch everything, and just because a users protection says they are safe, it doesn't guarantee that is true, and like you say is a dangerous thing as many users will lower their guard, but at least it gives a user a fighting chance of being safe compared to having nothing.

It's a sad fact that people far to often need protecting from themselves, and like you say it's not to belittle them, hence creating this so people become more aware, and hopefully stay safer, but I am the opposite to you, ALL my features are turned on, because I use them all the time, but like you I have never had an infection or anything, but my reference to Caribe is to make a point, makers, creators, bigwigs or whatever name you want to give to those who develop these devices were so adamant they were safe from infection, a group told them they were wrong, and when they were scoffed at, they went out and proved it can be done to make the point, the only thing that's held this back from happening, is a big enough, market and profitability, and now the Android market is so big, it's only a matter of time before more start to target it, and who knows what will come from that.

And yes the media always love a good scare story, it sells papers, but IMO that's not a bad thing in this instance, anything that makes a person take notice of a serious thing so they start to ask are they safe has to be good, as to the software makers, that's a double edge sword, those that you have to pay for are only concerned about sales, they are there to make profit, so yes they make money from exaggerating risks, but on the other hand they are simply stating the worst case scenario, but with so many free options available, it certainly wont hurt to start looking around, and taking a lot more notice, and another factor that's just come to mind, a lot of free App's use advertising to fund themselves, as such you gave that App permission's for it to do numerous things, what happens if a user gets taken to a web page that is infected ?

Again I don't know enough to say for sure, but as it's one method used to hit Windows users, it's not unreasonable to see it happening to other platforms as well.

The point is they are "safe from infection". What they are not safe from is people who will install something purposely.

In my opinion there is a huge difference between vulnerabilities, and people who insist on installing software not knowing what it is.

An infection is an unwanted illness, like a cold or the flu, people don't purposely infect themselves with such things.

Software on the other hand is something they choose to install. When one makes a choice to install it, it is not an infection or vulnerability. It is a specific action of asking for and inviting something to be installed on their device. That is not an infection or vulnerability. It is gullibility and stupidity!

These are the people who bang their heads on the wall and say ouch that hurt, then turn around and walk over to another wall, bang their head against it and say ouch that hurt, then spin in the other direction, walk over to the third wall, bang their head against it and say ouch that hurt............. when they run out of walls in that room, they go to the next, and the next........... Companies that claim they can keep these people safe, are to put it simply no better than the creator of the bad software.

Such people can be locked in a padded room, and they will find a way to chew through the padding, so that they can get to the hard wall beneath to bang their head on. ;)

10898258_423071097850385_291576331594390

Edited by Bruce

what happens if a user gets taken to a web page that is infected ?

what happens is you'd get a javascript popup on your screen saying something like this url web address/ this page wants/says you need to update something please press ok, or you have x amount of viruses press ok to remove etc, etc.

now the clue is the "this url web address/this page wants/says" so you know it is not a legitimate system/os update process so when you see something like that you just close/back out of it and NOT click ok. which would then start the install process and you'd probably have to click ok again to double check before the malware got installed too, a simple 1 click will not usually install anything.

as bruce said YOU have to install malware on an android device, it can't just get on there without you installing it.

it doesn't matter if the malware tries to get in by wifi or bluetooth or an infected web page and javascript.

here's an example of what i'm trying to explain :- https://blog.malwarebytes.org/mobile-2/2013/12/android-pop-ups-warn-of-infection/

Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware :- http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

Sorry for a slow reply, busy trying to put something together for the wife's birthday on Sunday, she will be a Bullseye in darts, so trying to do something a bit special, but with no money it's hard lol, but I am desperately trying to improve 2 pictures I have, one really old and really grainy (colour film from the 80's), the other has been distorted, unless that literally hit g-force as Concorde let rip, and that's from the actual film, not an edited\distorted attempt so it's an impossible task lol.

Anyway again I can't argue that, I don't know Android anywhere near as well as you guy's, but even given a user HAS to allow something before it can happen, my bigger and main point is still valid, tell someone they can't do it, someone will at some point go out and do it to prove them wrong (just like Caribe), it's only a matter of time, and users need to start realising just how vulnerable their phones can be if they get caught by something like the headline in here, and by having at least some protection is better than none, even if it's only users who will allow anything on their phone, but of course awareness is their greatest tool along with safe practices as you have laid out already, which is the point I was trying to make with this warning, stay safe, and be aware, as many underestimate the power of todays mobiles.

awareness is key i agree, and why it's nice to see such topics. :tup:

as to anti-virus software being any use then that's where we digress and disagree, :P

in my opinion that's no better than using a fly swatter to stop a bullet,

but they are great for telling you "the horse has bolted because you left the stable door open." :laughing: