BOINC - SETI@Home people. Where are you?

I see many more Folding@Home people posting here. Where are the SETI people? One whole "pinned" Topic... That's it??? I know that SETI@Home has the Cafe to post in; but, the fellow PC Matic users that are also SETI@Home members should be more active here, shouldn't they??? (Just saying...)

I'm a proud BOINC user. I have joined SETI@Home, (joined in 2006), SETI Beta, (2006), and Einstein@Home, (2006), all through BOINC. I try to maximize the use of my computers/crunchers through BOINC. The two machines I have aren't the most powerful; but I crunch nonetheless.

Currently, I have an AMD A6 apu, 4GB RAM - 1600 MHz, on an ASUS micro-ATX board, NVIDIA GTX-760 with 2047 MB GDDR5 RAM, 250 GB SATA, Win XP Pro x64 system named Exeter; and a Pentium E5200, 8GB RAM, Gigabyte micro-ATX board, NVIDIA GTX-275, 250 GB SATA, Win 7 Pro x64 system named Prometheus. Exeter crunches only GPU; and, crunches three WU's at a time. Prometheus also only crunches GPU, and crunches one WU at a time. Exeter has been online since June 2014; and Prometheus just recently came online.

I've had many other machines between 2006 and now; all retired, except for Exeter and Prometheus. I primarily socialize on the SETI@Home boards; but, also hit Einstein and BOINC boards as well.

Late in 2006, I joined a DC Team called Calm Chaos. It quickly became an international Team.

I am interested in Folding@Home; however, since it DOESN'T run on BOINC, I'm aftraid I can't join in. I don't want to compromize the crunching on BOINC with a separate program that would fight for the same resources. If Folding@Home were still on BOINC, (found after reading some history that it did start on BOINC), I would gladly add it to my Projects' List.

In case you all haven't read my prior posts, (elsewhere in this Forum), my dad bought PC Matic's 5 PC Lifetime Service Contract on 12-18-2014. Being the Tech of the family, I installed it on all five of our PC's... Three PC's are mine; as stated, two crunch.

I'm very glad to be here, and proud to be a PC Matic user.

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

We used to have a few SETI folks here but they've come and gone. If you want to push SETI@home I don't think you'll have any opposition. Go for it!

Our Folding team is small but strong, sorry you don't want to join us. Oh well.

:geezer:

It's NOT that I don't want to join you... Like I said, I'm interested; but, I cannot interrupt BOINC processing on my crunchers. I have too much invested into BOINC. I recently broke 1.6 Mil. on both SETI@Home and Einstein@Home. SETI Beta is really a backup project; I only have 200K credits there.

If Folding@Home was still on BOINC, I'd add it to my Projects' List in a heartbeat.

TL

As CB said our team is small, but we do have some of the best people in the world in it.

For such a small team today we rank #66 out of all the teams in the world not bad for 17 active folders.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32035

The invitation will stay open with no hard feeling at all.

I was thinking some more about this... If I were to join; would Prometheus' GTX-275 crunch Folding@Home??? I believe the card came out in early 2009; and may be late 2008 technology... So, as an OLD card, would it still be productive?

For BOINC and SETI, I had to install a VERY old driver; 266.58 due to the card being Pre-Fermi. The newest driver that I believe can be used on it is 337.88, and still crunch SETI. Would these same limitations apply for Folding@Home?

CPU crunching, (on BOINC), seems to take WAY too long to crunch; now with fast GPUs crunching. So, I'm NOT really interested in Prometheus' Pentium E5200 crunching at all; just the EVGA NVIDIA GTX-275.

Also, if I really entertain this line of thinking, and wish to make the switch on Prometheus; it will take quite some time for the current queue of SETI WU's to complete. I may be looking at a couple weeks of solid crunching to drain the SETI queue completely to be able to switch to Folding@Home.

If this is possible; and because the GTX-275 is old, now, approximately how long would a Folding at home WU take on Prometheus? Currently it crunches SETI Multibeam Units in 20 to 30 Minutes; and, approximately one hour to one and a quarter hours to crunch SETI Astropulse Units. (It's really doing much better than I thought it would.) Because the system hasn't been on line long; BOINC still estimates AP Units very high to complete. Something like 17 Hours to complete; but, as I said, it actually finishes an AP WU in about an hour to an hour and a quarter.

Would this system be useful to Folding@Home?

TL

Edited by TimeLord04

I was thinking some more about this... If I were to join; would Prometheus' GTX-275 crunch Folding@Home??? I believe the card came out in early 2009; and may be late 2008 technology... So, as an OLD card, would it still be productive?

For BOINC and SETI, I had to install a VERY old driver; 266.58 due to the card being Pre-Fermi. The newest driver that I believe can be used on it is 337.88, and still crunch SETI. Would these same limitations apply for Folding@Home?

CPU crunching, (on BOINC), seems to take WAY too long to crunch; now with fast GPUs crunching. So, I'm NOT really interested in Prometheus' Pentium E5200 crunching at all; just the EVGA NVIDIA GTX-275.

Also, if I really entertain this line of thinking, and wish to make the switch on Prometheus; it will take quite some time for the current queue of SETI WU's to complete. I may be looking at a couple weeks of solid crunching to drain the SETI queue completely to be able to switch to Folding@Home.

If this is possible; and because the GTX-275 is old, now, approximately how long would a Folding at home WU take on Prometheus? Currently it crunches SETI Multibeam Units in 20 to 30 Minutes; and, approximately one hour to one and a quarter hours to crunch SETI Astropulse Units. (It's really doing much better than I thought it would.) Because the system hasn't been on line long; BOINC still estimates AP Units very high to complete. Something like 17 Hours to complete; but, as I said, it actually finishes an AP WU in about an hour to an hour and a quarter.

Would this system be useful to Folding@Home?

TL

a. Yes, it would be productive.

b. The latest driver that suits the card should be fine.

c, Probably would take 1-2 days.

My suggestion is to just try it, if it's not suitable to you then you can always stop and go back to SETI.

a. Yes, it would be productive.

b. The latest driver that suits the card should be fine.

c, Probably would take 1-2 days.

My suggestion is to just try it, if it's not suitable to you then you can always stop and go back to SETI.

NOTE: Also, I forgot to mention; the reason Prometheus is crunching SETI as fast as it does is because it is making use of the "Lunatics 0.43a" Optimized Program.

I will be setting SETI to No New Tasks, (NNT), and let the queue drain. Once completed, I will download and install Folding@Home. I will try it first with NVIDIA driver 266.58; and, if that doesn't work, I'll upgrade to 337.88 and try again. Draining the SETI queue will take time; I'll keep you posted.

:):yup:

Here's the link to d/l F@H from > http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

Team #32035

Get a passkey > http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py this will tie your Work Units turned in to your User Name and ensure that you get proper credit.

Thanks CB. I'll hit those links when my SETI queue runs dry. :)

[Hey, I finally got to have a signature!!!] :mrgreen::clap::woot:

Edited by TimeLord04