Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freedom01

Possible Infection, Can PC Be Saved?

I'm trying to help my Stepdaughter with a couple (think it my be more than a couple) of problems. One problem is that all her pictures have vanished and I'm trying to locate them. I was thinking Hidden Files may have them, but not quite sure how to find the hidden files...could use some help with this. Next problem seems like a bigger mess. It appears she was using Norton for Security protection, but it did not do such a great job because I can't even get into Google and she keeps getting pop-ups. I went into her computer and removed Norton because I was going to install MS Security Essentials, but her computer would not complete install. She told me she has Windows Defender so I went into her security section and system says it is turned off so I tried turning it on, but it will not turn on. I should have jotted down what it said, but I was not thinking about that at the time.
Could sure use some help getting some Virus protection back into her computer.(OS Vista)
I was thinking about doing a System Restore, but not sure how that will work out. Would appreciate any help.
Thank you,
Tom

If you need more help,

Try resetting

Instructions on how to backup your Favourites/Bookmarks and other data can be found below.