Change Mode

Power Outage

caintry_boy

Left for KC this morning and all was well, but to my chagrin on returning home our granddaughter says "the power went off"...this means that my two rigs running SUSE 13.1 in the basement are off so I head downstairs to find this...

a. one is off and boots right into SUSE 13.1 no problem

b. the other, my main rig, is off and boots to the green vine aspect of desktop, then just goes black.

I can get into BIOS (UEFI) and roam around just fine, POST screen displays just fine...but no desktop. Popped in the dvd to attempt a "repair" and no option, it just boots to the green vine and then nothing. :pullhair:

Specs are :

Asus Maximus Extreme Z Skt. 1155 mobo

i7-2700k water cooled

16Gb DDR3-2133 G.Skill RAM

2 x GTX460's on air

Seagate 1Tb hdd

Ideas? Suggestions?

:geezer:

it's a graphics driver problem in my opinion.

to verify this just select the option to boot into safe mode (can't remember exactly what it says so safe mode will do. :P )

now you should find it will boot to a desktop, now run the driver setup/install again and reboot, this should fix the problem.

:b33r:

Terry I never get that far and I'm guessing you're speaking of "failsafe" mode.

you must do, unless my memory is playing me up again because i thought you got the start/boot options menu before it started loading linux and showed the green ivy splash screen.

if your doing an upgrade then i doubt snapper and btrfs will enter into it, and it will just use the ext4 file system it is already installed on.

just to warn you if you do skype me tho, i'm full of cold so will be sneezing and spluttering. :rofl3:

won't be up much longer tho starting to shiver and so made myself a hot drink and will be going to bed sometime soon probably.

Edited by terry1966

You're right bud...I DO get that far and selected Advanced Boot options then the first desktop recovery option which runs through pages and pages of stuff and ends with a descriptor error or something...I'ma try the dvd again and see if it'll do a "rescue"...If not, I'll do the upgrade.

Get healed up and get some rest! Nitey Nite!

:geezer:

not a graphics driver problem problem then like i used to get when it wouldn't finish booting.

the thing with linux is we really do need to see exactly what the error says otherwise we can't really help, it might be worth trying to see if you can start in level 3.

to get to init 3, (which i beilieve you must be in anyway to get the boot login command.)

at the main menu press "e" to edit the suse boot option.

use the arrow keys to navigate to the "linux" line

and add a "3" after the "resume" command and before the "splash" command, make sure there is a space before and after it so it doesn't become part of any other command.

then either Ctrl+X or the F10 key will start the boot process and take you to the command line login.

(these changes are not perminent and are only used for that single boot.)

pinched from other topic but should see if it will boot into level 3.

if it does then we should be able to get it up and running again eventually without have to do a repair or update install.

ok off to bed now, so good luck.

Edited by terry1966