Sign in to follow this  
bobchatelle

PCPitstop no longer recognizes IE

:wp:

What version of Windows and Internet Explorer are you using?

What happens or what do you see on the screen when you try to run OverDrive?

If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer and right-click on iexplore.exe and select "Run as administrator" to launch the browser does OverDrive then complete?

Windows 7 Home Premium and up-to-date IE 11. I get the Overdrive window but nothing ever shows up. I find out about IE not being recognized via troubleshooting. I always run IE in Administrative mode.

-Bob

Are you running the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version?

To run the 32 bit version go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer and right-click on iexplore.exe and select "Run as administrator" to launch the browser.

Did you try resetting IE back to defaults?

I must be running the 32-bit version because I do right-click and run as administrator.

I only use IE for PC Pitstop, so I'm not sure how to set IE back to defaults.

-Bob

You can open Internet Explorer and click on Tools>Internet Options>Security and click the button at the bottom right to reset all zones to the default level.

If that does not work, I would suggest uninstalling IE 11 through Programs and Feature>View Installed Updates then reinstall with a new download directly from Microsoft.

I am able to uninstall, but I am not able to install.

Everything seems to be fine. Then I get a message telling me the installation did not complete.

I am doing a system restore to get IE 11 back.

I can live without running PC Pitstop.

Or you could roll back to IE 10 as you don't use IE for anything else anyway.

There's something going on with the Windows installation if IE 11 does not reinstall and it could be related to why OverDrive won't run.

Sounds like those are 64 bit versions of IE if the Active X does not install. The Active X control only works with 32 bit IE.

Just out of interest, I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. Overdrive stops at the first screen after the dialogue box asking for confirmation that you want to run the test. I tried following your instructions to force IE to run in 32 bit mode but it makes no difference. When I get to the troubleshooting page I get a dialogue box telling me that PC Pitstop requires at least IE5 and I appear not to have IE installed. My Operating System is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Further to my post above, I see this topic is running on a number of threads. I've tried the suggested solution from each thread but with no success.

To verify, have you tried rolling back to IE 10 to see if that resolves the issue?

I have the identical problem with IE10 and IE11. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having the problem. Oddly enough, I also have a 32-bit Windows computer running IE11. PCPitstop works on that one just fine.

That is not odd at all. The Active X control works with 32 bit, it does not work with 64 bit. In order to use OverDrive in a 64 bit Windows installation the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer must be used. The problem is with how the web browser is handling the Active X control, not with the OverDrive test.

Using Internet Explorer, what is the result of running our Active X test from here?: http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp

If the test results are passing, try creating a 'test' user account with administrative permissions and see if the Active X will load from there. If so, then there may be something is the personal settings for your regular user account that is preventing Active X from working.

I would suggest opening Internet Explorer in your regular account and clicking on Tools>Internet Options>Security and click the button at the bottom right to reset all zones to the default level a second time.

Same issue here. It says PC Pitstop requires at least IE5 and I appear not to have IE installed. I'm running Win7 ultimate 64 bit with IE 11. The tests work fine on my other computer - Win7 home premium 32 bit with IE 11. I tried all the suggestion above, but nothing worked. Could it be an issue with having a 64 bit OS?

I've NOT been having these issues; PC Matic seems to be functioning normally for me. I can complete scans, perform fixes, and defrag the HDs on all three of my PCs and the both of my parents' systems.

All five of our PCs are x64; four are Win 7, and one is Win XP Pro x64. I did just try to test my IE; and, it too is the 64 Bit version, I can't seem to find the 32 Bit version, anywhere on Prometheus. (My Pentium E5200, Win 7 x64 system with IE-11.) When I copy the link that IntelGuy provided and paste into IE; the results tell me that Active X is NOT active on my system. This makes sense; since I'm running 64 Bit IE... So, how is PC Matic working fine for me; but, not the others here???

Is there anything that I should be testing to confirm the problem exists for all PC Matic users??? Just curious, and would like to assist, if I can.

TL

Thank you for the offer to help resolve the issue, but these users are having trouble with our OverDrive scan, not with PC Matic. Although PC Matic does use the Active x function, it does not rely on Internet Explorer.

*Update: I found several other threads regarding this issue and tried everything suggested. After I tried someone's suggestion to reset IE, reboot, run as admin again, the ActiveX issue was solved and I was able to run OverDrive once again.

Add me to the list of people unable to run OverDrive suddenly. I used it on a few computers in December and prior with no problem at all. I am running IE as an administrator. I have had IE 11 for a long time (since it came out?) and never had any issues running OverDrive. Just for kicks, I did reboot and tried again and still no joy. Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 11. I last used OverDrive 12/27 no issues. The only thing I use IE for is OverDrive so I have not made any changes to IE since then or probably ever.

ETA: I did put the security settings back to default as well.

On the troubleshooting page I also get the dialogue that I'm not running IE

On the ActiveX test page, everything IS working properly.

Here is an image of what I get after clicking "Let's Go"

https://twitter.com/missonyxk9/status/558571599096328192

Thanks!

Edited by missonyxk9