Good deal for folding?

JustinP526

So I got a good deal set up for a GPU and case, should be picking it up this weekend. Will be getting an XFX Radeon 6770 and a Cooler Master HAF 912 for a total cost of $40!! That should get the quad core rig up and running finally.

I was also offered another deal for $50... but is it worth it? Should I bother?

The offer is for a Tyan Thunder K8SE dual Opteron server board. It will include 2 CPUs (2GHz+) not sure which ones.. stock CPU coolers and 3x 512MB ECC DDR.

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=145

Quick google search also showed me results for this mobo on eBay (priced at around $350 for board alone) as well as Newegg page (listed as discontinued model) where it says the board supports single or dual core Opterons, 8x up to 16GB DDR400 ECC RAM and dual PCI-e GPU support (1 @ x16 and 1 @ x8). I'm actually surprised it only runs DDR400 and not DDR2-800.

So should I go for it and see what it can do (though may need a few upgrades)... or better to pass?

The 6770 and case sound pretty good for that. :)

The other deal isn't great though unless I'm missing something.

Those 200 series opterons are 85W chips and two would probably perform worse than a single pentium D.

I just think they're too inefficient and power hungry to run 24/7.

Like you could throw a gpu or two in there but a newer, low end setup could do the same job for similar money while using far less power :/

The 6770 and case sound pretty good for that. :)

The other deal isn't great though unless I'm missing something.

Those 200 series opterons are 85W chips and two would probably perform worse than a single pentium D.

I just think they're too inefficient and power hungry to run 24/7.

Like you could throw a gpu or two in there but a newer, low end setup could do the same job for similar money while using far less power :/

:yup:

:geezer:

stay away from the 2nd deal, my mate has a dual cpu tyan server board with 2 single core cpu's in it, great in it's day but even his dual core atom cpu board is as fast or faster than it and you certainly wouldn't run folding on an atom cpu.

:b33r:

Yeah that could work... or for right now it probably would be better put towards a little extra system RAM. Currently have 2x 1GB DDR2-800 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline series. Working out a deal with someone on a set of 2x 2GB DDR2-1066 G.Skill